Newbie with surgery set for Wed next looks for experence

ken f.

hi,

i had a CT scan with contrast which revealed two lung masses-one upper right lobe posterior @ 4.5 x 3.5 CM and one @ lower right @ 17 MM. PET scan showed only those two masses between knees and top of head

a needle biopsy of the large tumor showed adenocarcinoma but whether a met from prior colon cancer (resected 97 with consistent CEA readings since) or not or lung primaries undetermined. smaller lower lobe tumor said to be dangerous to try to reach so it wasn't biopsied.

a surgeon proposes to, on next wednesday, remove right upper lobe, to do a frozen section analysis of the lower lobe tumor while i am open if possible to effect and, depending, determine whether to remove the entire right lung or not. the lower turmor is apparently mid lower lobe and it is doublful that a "wedge" can be cut out of the lobe there as i understand it.

as he is a surgeon, i would expect to come out of this with no right lung. i haven't had any blood tests yet, which concerns me, and am set for a preop on monday.

i feel like i'm running in front of a steamroller.

i was on a colon list at acor for several years and know how much knowledge can be possessed by list members.

comments or suggestionsb?

ken falstrom

Ken,

Welcome to the club no one wants to join :)

I am guessing that you will get blood tests on Monday at your pre-op. I think it is great that you are a surgical candidate and they are going right in fast! We have people on this board who are one lungers and doing just fine!

Please keep us posted! The only thing I would suggest would be to call the oncologist ASAP on Monday and let him/her know what the surgeon plans to do.

I am sorry you are in this situation. You are right though about the value of lists. This forum is a great one and there are many people here who have had major lung surgery and are doing very well. Several have had a lung removed and live fully normal lives -- one is a marathon bike racer!

You certainly have the right to have a second opinion before the surgery and to have a say in how this plays out while you are on the table. If you would feel better having blood work before surgery, ask the doctor about it. I am sure that they will be happy to discuss your options with you. If they are not, -- RUN!

Keep us posted.

Hey Ken.

I'm the marathon biker. Left pneumonectomy long time ago. Surgeon was originally going to just take out the upper lobe, but decided at the last munute to remove the entire lung. I am, in a way, glad the whole thing is gone. I don't know if there is any correlation, but I know of many who have had just one lobe removed and have experienced recurrence in the remaining lobe(s). I know the right lung is larger than the left, and that may be one reason I am able to bike so much, and I can only speak for myself, but if I had tumors in two of three lobes, I think I would be the guy saying, "get the whole thing out of there -- NOW!!" ( but what do I know?) One lung is not so bad. How young are you? Are you active now? Hope everything works out for the best. Take care, and keep us posted.

David P.

Hello Ken and welcome. I had a right upper lobectomy in June 2003. The tumor was 3.1 cm. and I was stage 1B. The surgeon got it all, but I did chemo after as a precaution. Since completing chemo I have had CT scans every 3 months. In Aug. a 5mm "something" appeared in the Left upper lobe and we watched it. Three months later (Nov 1) it was 1.8 x .8 cm and I am having surgery on Friday. The surgeon said he could do a wedge resection or remove the entire lobe since the tumor is near the top of the lobe. He also mentioned that recurrence is 2.7 times more likely with the wedge. I decided on the lobectomy (will I ever learn to spell that word?) and will probably have chemo afterwards. Has your doctor suggested removing the upper and lower lobes and leaving the middle one?

BTW, altho. this surgery isn't fun, I found that it wasn't as bad as I feared. Good pain management in the hospital is key.

Good luck on Wed. and do keep us informed.

Muriel K

Since there are 3 lobes on the right, wonder if there's a chance he will leave the middle one? Best wishes, please keep us posted. Donna G

thanks for the post. i did bring this up but was told the middle lobe is relatively small and will not be able to sustain itself without one of the two adjacent lobes.

love, ken

Hey Ken.

I'm the marathon biker. Left pneumonectomy long time ago. Surgeon was originally going to just take out the upper lobe, but decided at the last munute to remove the entire lung. I am, in a way, glad the whole thing is gone. I don't know if there is any correlation, but I know of many who have had just one lobe removed and have experienced recurrence in the remaining lobe(s). I know the right lung is larger than the left, and that may be one reason I am able to bike so much, and I can only speak for myself, but if I had tumors in two of three lobes, I think I would be the guy saying, "get the whole thing out of there -- NOW!!" ( but what do I know?) One lung is not so bad. How young are you? Are you active now? Hope everything works out for the best. Take care, and keep us posted.

David P.

glad to hear from you! i'm 58 and now i know why i have been doing aerobics 2x week for the last 20 year! i couldn't believe it, cause i smoked for a long time but my two lungs together were 130% of median capacity for a person like me. and my heart checked out as strong.

that's interesting anecdotal information about removing the whole lung which i will bring up with onco doc and surgeon on monday. the middle lobe, apparently, will not support itself without the upper or lower.

i'm working up an attitude of joyfully and whole heartedly accepting my present situation without any thought of "might" have been. i never did like the subjunctive anyway.

how old are you?

love, ken

Hello Ken and welcome. I had a right upper lobectomy in June 2003. The tumor was 3.1 cm. and I was stage 1B. The surgeon got it all, but I did chemo after as a precaution. Since completing chemo I have had CT scans every 3 months. In Aug. a 5mm "something" appeared in the Left upper lobe and we watched it. Three months later (Nov 1) it was 1.8 x .8 cm and I am having surgery on Friday. The surgeon said he could do a wedge resection or remove the entire lobe since the tumor is near the top of the lobe. He also mentioned that recurrence is 2.7 times more likely with the wedge. I decided on the lobectomy (will I ever learn to spell that word?) and will probably have chemo afterwards. Has your doctor suggested removing the upper and lower lobes and leaving the middle one?

BTW, altho. this surgery isn't fun, I found that it wasn't as bad as I feared. Good pain management in the hospital is key.

Good luck on Wed. and do keep us informed.

thanks for the post. oh my. i wish you the best on doing this again. you'll be a almost a pro this time i expect.

the middle lobe apparently will not sustain itself without an upper or lower lobe. that's interesting about the wedge recurrance. i will inquire.

again best of luck. i'm thinking that the proper attitude is to joyously and wholeheartedly accept the presenting situation without thought of might have been. i'm working on it!

love, ken

Muriel K

Ken,

I can remember how scared I was going into my surgery. So many unknowns. I had a mediastinoscopy to see if the nodes were cancerous in my mid chest. If they were not, then we would proceed with the surgery. They were, so I was closed up. I underwent chemo and radiation to shrink them enough for surgery. My surgeon took my r. mid lobe and part of my upper. I had no problem with my lung sealing. I don't see a bio, so I am not sure of your stage. I am sure the surgery will go well. I was back at work in 3 1/2 weeks. You can do this. Stay with us, this group got me through it, and will be there for you too.

Cheryl

Hey again Ken.

I'm 47. I was 19 when I had my surgery. Didn't really have a chance to give it much thought - from diagnosis to removal was only a couple of weeks. And as my mother reminded me tonight when I mentioned you, it was because the cancer had spread from lower lobe to upper in that short time that the surgeon removed the entire lung. Then I got back to living - what else could I do? There was no support groups, or even internet; they said if I make it past five years I'd probably be OK. Well, I'm OK. My story, if you haven't already read it is in the "My Story" forum. And as you can see by my signature, I believe attitude plays a BIG part in dealing with this crap. PM me any time, and good luck this Wednesday Ken. Take care.

David P.

Ken

All of my best to you in the following weeks. I did good with my lung removal 2 years back, had a round of problems 3 months back but Chemo fixed that up, am now doing great again. Yes I am sorry You have to be here, but there are so many here that can tell you what's going on, just a super cool place to be.

Grumpy One Lung in Michigan

Ken,

I can tell you that my husband has his entire right lung (pneumonectomy) removed in April of 2001. He did well recovering from his operation. He was given an epidural prior to surgery which was kept in for about 5 days in the hospital. That coupled with pain meds kept him relatively comfortable. He was 56 at the time and had a tumor 9cm . They also found he had a staph infection when they opened him up, so that took a lot out of him also. Over all, he was out of work 9 weeks and returned to work. His recovery was gradual, but by the next spring he was out doing lawn work etc. He didn't have follow up chemo , but perhaps he should have. We will never know that. He was diagnosed with recurrence at stage IV this past January( nearly 3 years later).

Remember Ken, that as you read these stories, every case is different. You can only get an overall picture. Will keep you in my prayers .

God Bless,

sue

Hi Ken, I am 2 months recovering from having my upper right lobe removed due to NSCLC, my pre op test consisted of: blood work, chest xray, PFT (breathing test), artierial blood gas (very small amount of blood is removed from artery at your wrist) this shows them how much oxygen you have in blood before surgery and of course alot of paper work and explaining of the procedure etc. The nurse showed me pictures of a respirator that you may be on while you are in ICU, I was excited that I did not have to be put on one although I was told by the nurse I would not remember being on it. I do not remember being in ICU the only thing I remember is the day I was moved to a regular room. They tell you 1 to 3 days in ICU a total of 5 to 7 days in the hospital. It is a rough surgery as far as pain, but they are always administering pain meds to keep you as comfortable as possible, I felt much better after the drain tubes were pulled which was on the 4th day (this varies on the indiviual I am told) All in all the best advise I can give you after the surgery is bite the bullet and move around and walk (get rest too, of course) but this took the soreness out of me. I found if I didnt walk and move around I got stiff. How am I today ? Walking 2 miles a day returned to work last week and Monday will be 8 weeks since my surgery. And I feel I owe all that to the good Lord and motivation to get back on my feet. Walk walk walk. Take care and good luck !

Barbara

NSCLC Adenocarcinoma favor at carcinoma

upper right lobe removed

no lymph node involvement

ex - smoker

NO futher treatment !

welcome Ken; yea, not much choice but to get those thing out of there...good that you had PET scan, so you know there are no other trouble spots that would make surgery less effective. As my bio below shows, I lost left lung in July, getting along fairly well, after pain got managed and down some. Had some setbacks with chemo (reactionto taxotere__), pneumonia...then bad reaction to steroids used to treat that. But back doing fairly well now, stopping all treatment. Learning to get along with half my respiratory capacity. Limiting, but livable.

Yea, Id get Oncologist in on it before surgery, if possible, at least, so they cn agree on what theyre dealing with etc. Best of luck to ya...Keep us posted....Rich B.