Radiation changes two years out?

cindi o'h

How common is it to continue to have radiation changes in the lung almost 2 years out?

I had concurrent chemo/rad for stage lllb.

I had radiation pneumonitis early on with coughing up blood and difficulty breathing. Antibiotics helped that along with some aggressive steroids and strict adherence to prescribed inhalers.

I have an increased shortness of breath over the last few months. The past couple of weeks, it has really gotten out of control. I saw the oncologist thinking that the SOB was from the pleural effusion of moderate size that was picked up on CT in Sept.

With chest xray last week, the radiologist said "no pleural effusion"

There is a definite cracked glass appearance. The NP who saw me said something about infiltrates, scar tissue, fibrosis...interstitial. I think those were the words she used. When I called back today to get the words of the radiologist, the triage nurse said that the radiology report said they were continued post radiation fibroses.

Am I alone here? Am I the only one who has continued decreased breathing capacity with this scarring? Does fibrotic tissue continue to form this long after radiation? And if so, when will it stop?

I have a dry, non productive cough. Wheezes. Crackles. Whistles. With any exertion, I am more and more SOB. I can barely move anymore.

I also had a heart attack last year. And this year dx with RA and the rheumy thinks Sjogren's and maybe something else too. W&S.

This is for the experts ( :wink: ) but in compliance with the header of this forum, if y'all have any ideas please PM me.

Thanks. Cindi

I have an increased shortness of breath over the last few months. The past couple of weeks, it has really gotten out of control.

I have a dry, non productive cough. Wheezes. Crackles. Whistles. With any exertion, I am more and more SOB. I can barely move anymore.

Your case sounds like mine Cindi. I am 19 months out and have these problems also. Some days I feel like I am crawling. What scares me is what is behind that scare tissue which they can't see. I too cough and hear those crackles...esp at night. I am NED tho and maybe I should not worry. Will keep you in my thoughts girl. :)