kdaru Posted November 23, 2004 Share Posted November 23, 2004 So, Dad had a CT last Tuesday, and we saw the oncologist last Fiday. The CT showed no change or perhaps slight shrinkage of the main nodule in the R upper lobe, but significant growth in the left lower lobe lesion. But the latter was different-looking, not a nodule, but more webby, with two small cavities inside. The surgeon had told us it was funny-looking before, hence the plan to do two cycles of chemo and then invasive staging with mediastinoscopy and possible open biopsy of that LLL lesion. Now even the oncologist thought that the rapid growth and appearance was more suggestive of infection or inflammation rather than cancer. So we planned to finish the second cycle of chemo, get another CT, and see the onc and surgeon again at that point. That was Friday. Today the onc's office calls, just as my Dad is leaving for chemo. Chemo has been cancelled - Dad's sputum sample grew out tuberculosis. I don't know if I'm on my head or my @ss. On the one had, it's sort of good - lung cancer + TB sounds better than lung cancer, stage IV. OTOH, it really complicates his treatment. He'll have to go on TB meds, I don't know how long it will be before he can get chemo. I don't even know how this affects our plan for surgical staging - I would think no one will be in a rush to operate on someone who's harking TB bacilli. So everything is up in the air. We see an infectious disease guy and the surgeon again on the 30th. I'm hoping that we'll be able to develop another battle plan, and won't have to delay his lung cancer treatment too much. Quote Link to comment Share on other sites More sharing options...
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.