my father was denied treatment AGAIN

LindaMRG

Hello Friends,

I am just so sad tonight. My father was denied chemo for the third week in a row due to low platelets. He got a platelet transfusion on Monday and it only raised the count a bit. Today all his blood was low, except the platelets that went up a bit but not enough for treatment. They are going to check his blood again Monday and if platelets are high enough, they may transfuse whole blood and then give him chemo.

He really doesnt seem sick. He's just a little more tired than usual, but youd never know it was so bad that he couldnt have treatment. Im just worried too many weeks are going by without chemo in there to kill those cells. He's only had two of the eight treatments he was supposed to get before surgery.

Im praying so hard. Im just very depressed tonight. Thank you for listening.

Linda,

I am sorry about your fathers delay in treatment. I hate how this whole process if one wait or another. It is a very helpless feeling to know that there is treatment but it isn't available to the patient unless they meet certain criteria.

Each night I pray that that they will find the cure to cancer and people won't have to suffer anymore.

Linda, know that you are not ever alone, you always have friends here who understand.

((((((((HUGS)))))))) Shelly

Linda,

We are going through the same thing. My husband had to quit his first line of treatment because of low platelets. :( He did recieve 4 rounds which was enough i guess. Now he can't get his second line for the same reason. Because he has bone mets the doc is giving him a bone marrow biopsy to make sure the low platelets are coming from bone mets.

It is very hard knowing the cancer is probably growing and we can't immediatly treat it.

Thoughts and prayers are with you and your dad.

Rosann

Hi Linda

May I know what chemo drug was taken? So far, my Dad's blood count is normal after two round chemo. He took chinese herbal tea and a supplement, both claims will help to minimize the side effect. I cannot tell whether they really work, but at least my Dad's blood count is normal. You may try to consider.

Berisa,

My father was taking carboplatin and taxotere. But he had two bouts of lymphoma, with the last bout he had a stem cell transplant (his own cells), only two years ago. So, his counts are not as high as everyone elses to begin with. Oncologist is going to change him to navelbine. Thank you for asking.

((((((((LINDA))))))))))

Extra prayers going out to you and dad. I am so sorry that you are going through this. LC is hard enough, but the waiting is excruciating.

Keith and I just had to wait 3 weeks for treatment because the onc wanted to scan him prior to continuing, but he was on vacation. We waited 3 weeks for those scan results while I envisioned him sunning himself on some crystal clear beach. I thought I was going to go insane.

I truly and strongly pray and hope your father is well SOON, and can start his treatments.

Carleen