Vocal Chord Problems

Tracy

Hi Everyone,

Since I last updated you on my daddy (in the family/caregiver forum) he has slowly started to lose his voice. This started last sunday and has gotten worse to the point where he sounds Brando-ish! Today he saw his chemo oncologist (who I call DR.#2) and he said that the tumor is pushing hard on a nerve on his one of his vocal chords and this is the result of it. He also upset my dad when he said that he probably will never get his voice back. I know this is bothering Dad a great deal but I would rather have him around, husky voice and all, than not at all.

My question to you is.....has anyone out there experienced this at all and if so was it a permanent loss or did it come back? I would appreciate any feedback you may have.

Thanks

Tracy

The loss of voice is how we found my father-in-laws cancer. He had slowly began losing his voice until it was almost gone. We took him to the dr. and they couldnt figure out why this was happening. Then the tests showed cancer and later small cell. It was basically the same that you have described.

They also told him that he would never get his voice back, however since last week, he is actually talking in his old voice again. A bit softer and etc, but the same voice prior.

It took about 8 months of Chemo before this happened.

Rick

During my husband's surgery, they had to remove one of the nerves that runs to the vocal cords. His voice is very hoarse and raspy (like Jack Klugman). The surgery was 2 weeks ago and they said they could inject Teflon :shock: the area and improve his voice. I'll ask more about it when we go see the surgeon on Tuesday for our followup visit.

We were told that a nerve to the vocal cords runs down into the chest area and loops back up. During lung removal the cord can be bruised or injured and effect the voice. Unfortunatly they had to remove Tim's completely, but it was a small price to pay.

If surgery is not an option, maybe they can treat the tumor and shrink it and maybe the voice will come back or atleast improve. Hope this helps.

Annie

Hi Annie,

They also said that perhaps they could do a surgery afterwards and said something about teflon. We will have to wait until after the treatment ends in September to see more about that then. I hope your follow-up visit with your husbands surgeon goes well and if you do discuss the teflon I would certainly appreciate your letting me know more about that then.

Tracy

HI TRACY AND ANNIE,

MY HUSBAND ALSO HAD SURGERY AND THE DR HAD TO CUT ONE OF HIS NERVES WHICH CUT THE SOUND OF HIS VOICE TO A WHISPER. THE DR NEVER SAID ANYTHING ABOUT TEFLON. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU ALL FIND OUT. I AM COPYING THIS TO TAKE WITH ME TO THE DR WHEN HE NEXT GOES. ONE LEARNS SO MUCH ON HERE.

:lol: ONE THING FUNNY THAT YOU ALL MAY BE EXPERIENCING IS THAT SOMETIMES WHEN MY HUSBAND IS SPEAKING TO SOMEONE THAT DOESN'T KNOW WHY HIS VOICE IS SO LOW, THEY SPEAK BACK TO HIM IN A WHISPER. HE GETS A KICK OUT OF THAT.

Tracy,

My husband also lost his voice, i dont know if it is any different with sclc than with nsclc but it was a tumor on the nerve, and they did radiation, for 2 weeks, and he got his voice back, but had to deal with acid reflex, because of radiation, so maybe he will get his voice back, it is one of the things that does happen with lung cancer

Sandy

we too only found moms cancer after she had lost her voice. She was also told it would not really come back from where it was. Soft whisper like voice. But like you I said. I'd rather have you hear and whispering than not at all. Its been 6 months now and some odd times she can talk a little bit better then it goes again after treatments.