New Member--SCLC

Mike Evans

Hello, my name is Mike Evans. I am new to this site. To let you know what is going on with me, I was diagnosed with SCLC October, 2004, Stage 4, with mets to the liver. I have completed my second round of chemo and just completed my second PET scan. I will have my third round of chemo this coming Weds, Thurs & Fri. using Carboplatin and VP16 Etoposide. Was very sick initially, then started first chemo. Liver was completely covered, but only 2cm in lung with spots on other lung. Liver quickly recovered after first chemo. Last month have felt great and currently up to walking four miles per day. Have a sore throat yesterday that seems worse today. Other than that, have felt healthy as a horse. Am heavily involved in new healthier lifestyle (i.e., juicing and good nutrition, no smoking/drinking). Was a smoker for 35 years. Any survivors??!!!! Stage 4???!!!! Would love to talk to you. Am to go through maybe 5 more chemo treatments. Anyone know of any clinical trials for extensive SCLC??

Hope to hear from you!

Mike

Hi Mike! Glad you came here, but wish none of us needed to come here.

I'm limited stage SCLC (you can read all that below!). I relate to feeling much better after round 1 of chemo. I had the same drugs as you, just a different schedule. After only a week or 10 days, I was feeling SO much better, even with the chemo.

I don't know where you are in the world, or what cancer center you may be near, but there are many places you can search the trials online. In the message list here, I think there are threads about that and some sites where you can start out.

Glad you're doing better, and welcome! :)

Di

Hi Mike, I am a nsclc patient but wanted to welcome you to LCSC.You will find lots of people here who know a lot and care alot.Response time on weekends is usually slower than weekdays.I'm sure you'll be amazed at the support you recieve here.There are survivors here of all stages and you will be hearing from them.Glad you handled treatment with so little side affects.Just about anything that comes up someone here has been there and traveled that road.

Hi Mike and WELCOME!

My husband is a NSCLC patient so I can't compare notes with you, but there will be others reply that can better identify with you on the SCLC. You might not get a lot of replies until after the holiday weekend. Weekends are usually a little slower in general.

It was good to hear that the chemo worked so well, especially on your liver. Also, congrats on doing the 4-mile/day walk. That's terrific!

Just wanted to say welcome and glad you found us. I think you will really like it here.

God bless you,

Peggy

Hello and welcome. Generally SCLC is either limited or extensive (Stages are for NSCLC) We have 2 extensive in our local group that are 4 and 5 yrs survivors, they also had preventative brain radiation and are still in remission, friends with NED ( no evidence of disease). Keep us posted. Donna G

welcome to the group, Mike. Any stage of lung cancer IS survivable!!!

Your mission is to do everything to stay alive!!! All of your strength. All of your energy. All of your survivor skills depends on it. You can do it. We can help.

Ask questions. Read. Trust your gutts. Stay positive. Read Becky's ABC's for the newcommers. Find support.

Together WE heal.

Cindi o'h

Hi Mike and welcome! I also have extensive SCLC , that is indeed comparable to stage IV NSCLC. I also had liver mets. The good thing about SCLC is that it is very responsive to chemo. I had a lot of problem with fatigue from my chemo, but every one is different. Feel free to ask questions, and vent when you need to, we will be here for you. Good Luck in your battle and again welcome.

Blessings

Betty

• 2 weeks later...

I am new to this and hello, I have recently had lung cancer surgary myself and am starting chemo so I don't know how much help I can be but I wanted to talk to some one else new to this and wanted to say hello. I have know idea what to expect from this disease but I do know that at 57 years old I feel 100 and I'm not use to it. I wanted to know if that is normal or not.

After looking up my notes I had my surgary to remove my 1/2 right upper lung on 10/22. Had 2 spots stage 4 that had merged into what looked like an hour glass. the surgary was a sucess. but need chemo like yourself taking Etopiside IV but taking Cisplatin instead of Carboplatin. I also have to take Emend Pill and Decodin pills on days of chemo. I have just started this week. On my first cycle of 4-6. Go to chemo3 days then 18 off, then start again till I get to 4-6 like I stated. Wow I am glad to see that you don't feel to bad . I have just started like I stated earlier and feel about 100 instead of 57. I have already posted once to you and wanted to share more info due to the fact that you said you don't feel to bad. I am very nhappy for you and hope I get through this like you are. Good luck.....stevegueli