Airplane flights.

DougS

Would like to know if there have been any problems with any of you that have had a lobectomy with airplane flights. I have heard that there might be a short of breath problem on airplane flights. Have not been on one since my operation. I also understand that nowadays with the terrorism thing you can't really tank a oxygen tank with you, if needed. Don't need one normally but you never know.

Thanks,

Doug

Still doing good. Have more trouble with my stomach than with the loss of the lung. Some pain at night when I have to turn. Can't sleep on the same side to long. Have my 18 month post surgery check in Jan. Will keep you posted.

Hi Doug,

I flew to Florida 4 months after surgery 4 years ago and had no trouble at all. I did arrange for a wheel chair in Atlanta (just too far to walk carrying a bag). Actually my Mom arranged it - I probably could have walked, but figured why wear myself out before I get there. :lol:

Take care and have a good trip.

Nancy B

I took a flight 4 months post lobectomy also and didn't have any problems. My doc didn't want me flying for a month post surgery, but after that he approved everything I wanted to do. My flight was actually to Colorado Springs (1 mile above sea level) and we did the cog railway trip up to Pikes Peak (14000 feet above sea level, I think, if I remember the numbers correctly). It was fine--I was no worse than anyone else who wasn't used to that kind of elevation.

If you're unsure about your status, ask your doctor.

Hope this helps.

Cindy

Same here Doug. I have flown several times since my surgery :shock: and have had no problems other than my always present terror of flying. As far as breathing and air, no difference at all from before surgery.

Most airlines won't let you take oxygen on the plane.They take yours & give you theirs,& then give yours back after exiting the plane.The problem I've had is getting oxygen refilled after you get there.I am supplied by the VA & if they don't have an authorized dealer there you have to buy it.($2.00 to $3.00 per pound.)

I flew a month after surgery - down to Houston for a second opinion. I didn't have problems breathing, just sitting comfortably. Just no position that "works" in those darn seats - and I was on a corporate jet (Corporate Angel Network) with huge leather first-class seats! I'd advise taking a stuffed animal or pillow to tuck wherever to relieve some of the odd pressures from sitting in a small space for an extended period of time.

Doug,

The planes are equipped with individual oxygen masks that drop down when a plane loses cabin pressure. If you require oxygen the airlines won't allow you to take a tank of your own, but they will let you use their units with advance notification and planning. Call the Airline you plan to use and ask what they require (docs prescription, etc.)

Hope you have a good trip.

One other thing about flying....the air is constantly recirculated, but it is still the same air, so the lady who sneezes 4 rows down, or the guy coughing his head off across the aisle is spiking the air with all manner of kooties. You may want to consider wearing the same kind of paper face mask during the flight that is worn by TB patients and those who have had bone marrow transplants. The dust masks you find in the hardware store are not effective against viruses and germs (particles are too small). I know it looks funny, but it's only for a while and it sure beats getting sick. I wear the mask in large crowds, on planes, during flu season. On planes I also wear eye goggles that seal the area around my eyes, because I have a severe dry eye condition. The fact that it keeps germs and viruses from infecting me via the eyes is just another benefit. My twelve cents on the subject.

Dear Doug,

It has been ten months since my surgery. Last month I took a flight to Ireland and back and had no problems whatsoever. I am not on oxygen. However, I was told by a lady from this sight, that right after surgery, it is risky as it might cause the lungs to collapse. You should be fine if your surgery was last year.

Sharon