My friend

Justakid

My friend, who dx with colon cancer 1 1/2 yrs ago had surgery today. He had gone in for a follow up CAT Scan and Doc Appt. They found something. When they opened him up today, there were tumors. They removed them and he'll be in the hospital for another 10 days. They removed another foot of his intestines.

The think that has me upset is that he had 8mths of chemo (strong chemo), stronger then normal.....he had an older doctor that retired during his treatment, his new Doc was surprised by the aboumt of chemo he was receiving BUT continued because he was tolerating it so well.

Guess I'm feeling down, everytime I turn around someone's cancer has returned or spread. Trying to stay positive about myself but all around me, bad things are happening to everyone (cancer wise that is). I'm calling tomorrow to get my MRI and PET Scan results.

I don't mind saying that I am terrified! I need a break from all this cancer mess but I guess you can never escape yourself.

Thanks for listening, gonna go say a little prayer for Mike (my friend) and ME.

I wish I could give you a hug and say "all is better now". but I can't, you need to look for the nice things in life...the sun rising on another beautiful day...the fact that you are alive...your dear friends and family.

If you let your fears take over, you'll continue to be miserable. I know, I know, it's easy for me say.....

This is how I survive. I enjoy each day to it's fullest. I am excited about getting up every morning....I love going to work and being around my co-workers...I live for the weekends and my fishing time....I could go on and on.

I think about my mortality and limited life expectancy occasionally, but I refuse dwell on it and let the fears and tears ruin what time I have left. I want to LIVE the time I have remaining.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in

a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside,

thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- "WOW--What a

Ride!".......LIVE LIFE EACH DAY!!!!! anon

luv

jim

Hi Beth

Cheer up, as this too will pass. Someone told me when mom was first dx to count all the people i knew with cancer. Then out of those how many are alive verses how many are not. No matter who you ask the "alive" team always wins.

I will say an extra prayer for mike tonight, in hopes he has a speedy recovery, and for just a day of peace for you. Peace of mind or piece of cake whatever your heart desires. Jokes aside, youare in my thougths daily as well as my prayers.

Kim

Well, of course you're terrified. We all are at times. Right now, I can't envision a time that I won't be terrified when a big scan is coming up or something like that. People here say that lessens somewhat with time, but right now, I just can't imagine "time" and "future" in quite the same way as I did BC. (Before Cancer; AD = After Diagnosis)

Not so long before I was diagnosed, I found out that the husband of a favorite cousin had died. She (the cousin) hadn't let any of us know. I was shocked, as they were both in their mid-60s, he had recently retired but was still consulting and traveling some. Once I contacted her son, I found out that she was diagnosed with uterine cancer in an advanced stage, and while worrying and caring for her, he went for a checkup and found out he had colon cancer. They operated on him, and he died before he even left the hospital. Her cancer never did go into remission, and she died just a short time before I was diagnosed.

I did NOT have a great outlook when I was diagnosed, and a lot of it had to do with the shock I was still going through with those two. They were bright, energetic people, and lived a wonderful life, totally devoted to each other and their 2 boys.

Like others have said, BREATHE!! I celebrate breathing nowadays, because I CAN BREATHE! I can. Yes. And every morning that I wake up and see the sun and can still draw a breath, I am thankful for it.

I also have a difficult time now and then getting out of the "me, me, me" mode, yanno? It's why this place helps me so much, because I can come here and read what other say, and know that we are in this together. The "me" is still there and still important, but there is also a "we" that gives me kindred spirits to think good thoughts for and pray for, and to even grieve for when we lose someone.

It's about LIFE, dontchano. For however many minutes, hours, days, weeks, months, years we have. We live and enjoy what we can.