Wondering what got scanned

Elaine

Right before the test I had to drink some vanilla flavored barium because the tech said I was getting a abdomen scan, too. Then I got the iodine IV.

After I was done, she came out and told me they needed the adrenals so ththey stuck me back in.

This seems weird to me. Doesn't it sound like I didn't get a whole abdomen CT--I am hoping I at least got the liver and adrenals.

Anyone know?

I thought the last time I had this done, I had to drink two liquids, one an hour or maybe less before the test....

Any help would be appreciated.

Elaine,

I'm not sure about what you have to drink, but I know with the abdomen my husband had to drink something an hour before. I just don't know what or how much. In his case, the liver is always scanned with the chest CT, whether he gets the abdomen scanned or not, so I'm sure they got your liver.

I think the adrenals always show up, too, on the chest CT, but I don't know how extensive. Maybe the doctor ordered a more thorough type of exam for the adrenals. I don't know - I'm just pulling things out of the air here. I'm trying to think of anything except they "saw something", which I know is what you are thinking. And, you know what? Even if they did "see something", I'm glad to hear they are being thorough and went back in to check it out.

I don't drink, but if you do, now would be a good time to have one. LOL!

Love,

Peggy

When I get the Chest CT and abdomen I have to drink a pint of juice with a liquid medicine. I do this 3 times at 30 minute intervals before CT. Last time I drank white liquid (2 Bottles) before test. I mentioned to CT Tech that I hated the 3 pint deal she told me to stop by next time and get the white liquid instead.

I am with Peggy here. I think they always get the liver and adrenal glands. I know part of liver showes on Chest CT because I mentioned it when I had pneumonia and got a CT of chest.

Hope you have good results and will be looking for the post. :)

Elaine, glad you made it thru the day ok.

I get CT scan every 3 months.I also drink the barium like you did.Then they inject the dye while I'm in the machine.This scan basically shows (in slices) everything from the base of your neck down thru and including your abdomen ( if it was ordered for chest & abdomen.)It shows my heart,1 lung(the other is gone),stomach,liver,kidneys.Bone scans and others require different types of dye & time intervals.Just about every diff. type of scans require diff. preps and dyes.(It would be nice if you could have one to show everything but it doesn't work that way.)

Most civilian hospitals give you 2 jugs of barium which means you sometimes mess your pants while your in the hospital.The VA only gives 1 jug of barium which means you might mess your pants on the way home.

Elaine,

The only thing I can think of is maybe you moved or something weird happen when the machine got to that area.

As far as the barium goes, I usually have a pint 2 hours before and a pint one hour before and a cup just before I lay down. The iodine is injected after the first scan. I get two runs through the machine. Also nothing to eat like 4 hours before the scan. Which, might be why Frank and Bruce have to pull over on the way home.

The first time I did not know about picking up the contrast before the day of my scan. They gave me two pints to drink 1/2 hour before the scan, Which really turned out to be an hour before.

Please don't sweat it until they have something concrete to tell you. Hell, if I let myself go I could worry until the cows come home.

My best to you for good results. John

Elaine

I am not positive on this, but I dont think they can tell what your scan shows while they are scanning, it takes a bit to develop before they can see.

I took mom yesterday for a scan of her lungs(still hunting for the cause of her pain) Pulmonoligist wanted the scan to rule out a blood clot in the lungs, since she has had one before. So after she was done, the nurse brought her back to the waiting room, and told us not to leave until they could glance at the scans to make sure about the clot. about 15 minutes or so she came back and said all clear and we can go. So if they could tell then we would not have had to wait. Im sure they just forgot to do the glands, afterall they are human.

Did anyone goive you any idea about when/who would be calling you with results and follow-up?

Kim

Elaine,

Iv'e been told the CT covers from nose to knees. I was given my choice of bannana, apple, or berry flavored barium, and told to drink the secound half of a pint 35 min. later. The tech got me for the CT about 30 min. later. Regular CT's are taken then an iodine contrast is injected. CT's are compared and a radilogist oncologist reads them. Hoping you just moved during the CT, and perhaps that is why you got called back in. Keep us posted!

Cheryl

Elaine,

I had the full abdominal scan a while back and had to begin drinking icky stuff the night before. I remember watching "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang" and not realizing it was real close to what would be happening to me in about eighteen hours, just change the "c" to an "s"! The last bit of my "sports drink" (it was given to me in something resembling a sports bottle with lines marked off and times written on them showing me how much to drink by when) was drank down just before I got on the table.

Pictures were taken, then the dye was injected and more pictures. I got to stay on the table while they decided if the pictures were good or not...then I got to go home and had diarrhea for three days. Yee-haw!

I believe the "abdominal" goes down the body far enough to show hip joints and parts of the pelvis - I think I remember seeing butt cheeks on the slides. The adrenals would have to be in there, but you could have moved or they didn't get the angle they wanted and sent you back in. I'm always thankful anytime they double check so I don't have to get a needle again...

...and now, ANY time I go for a CT and see someone getting a sports drink ('specially older folks that can't move so fast) I let 'em know that one side effect is diarrhea and be prepared. As one of the jokes stated in November, NEVER trust a fart! :shock:

Don't panic.

xxoo,

Becky

Dearest Elaine,

I know that any time something seems out of the ordinary, it is scary. Please try not to get upset. (I know, it's easier said than done) Maybe the tech just didn't a good picture of the adrenal glands or something like that.

If you need me, you have my phone number. Use it sweetie.

In my thoughts and prayers~~~

Angie

Elaine,

Sometimes the radiologists will change the resolution of the scan to a more sensitive setting (from 5 mm slices to say 1 mm) in areas where they want to take a "closer" look. They don't use the 1 mm setting throughout the scan because that would be too much radiation (that's the story I was given and they're sticking to it.). Anyway...it doesn't mean that they saw something suspicious. It means they want to see the area in as much detail as possible.

I am very relieved that someone is doing something to help you now.