More info on Dad

Angie Daughter of Bill

Hello all! I am sure that you are all getting tired of my whining and my whimpy attitude this week.......but again, I have bad news and I just can't help the whining.

Dad's medical oncologist's nurse called me this afternoon just as she had promised she would. She gave me the short version of Dad's scan results. (so we wouldn't be blind sided at tomorrow's appt. when the oncologist tells all)

It seems that the primary lung tumor has begun to grow again. There is a couple of new tumors in that lung. In the right lung, the previous scan showed a 5mm tumor. That one has increased in size also. There are tumors on the right and left adrenal gland. The nurse named off at least 6 brain tumors..........they are in all areas of the brain. After the last one she name off, she said, "Well, there are just several." She said that as if there were more. I also think she said that there were tumors in his liver. The reason I'm not sure of the exact number or brain mets or about the liver is because I was crying so hard on the phone. The nurse asked if I wanted her to stop. I told her, "No. I need to know." I heard, but I didn't really process what she was saying by the time she got around to the liver and brain. *sigh* The nurse then said, "Basically, it looks as if the cancer has spread everywhere." *big sigh*

I sat down and talked with Dad about the scans. Poor guy. His words were, "Well, I got the feeling that it's like we're just putting out a bunch of blazing fires." That struck a chord with me. I told Dad that he was exactly right. That if a fire is not watched, it will get out of hand. If you don't put water on the fire, it will get out of hand.(like putting chemo on the cancer cells) If you do nothing, the fire will eventually take over. I told Dad to grab his water hose and put on his rubber boots 'cause we're going to put out some fires! It got a little chuckle out of him anyway, silly as it was. On the brighter side.........the Decadron has done wonders for Dad. He actually asked me if I wanted to go out and eat lunch. We did go eat together and it was wonderful. (wonderful because he was actually eating AND he was out of the house for something other than treatment) Dad starts WBR tomorrow. Yes, tomorrow. His rad.onc. saw him immeiately after his radiation to the spine this morning. They made Dad's WBR mask and everything today. Pretty awesome group of doctors, huh? (well, it wasn't like I gave them a choice)

I have been praying so hard for some good news. It doesn't seem like we're going to get any good news any time soon. I know that God doesn't put more on one than that person can handle............I'm flattered.......God must think that I am one heck of a woman. Gotta' run and tuck my kiddos in. Love to all!!

In my thoughts and prayers~~~

Angie

You ARE one heck of a woman. With all the bad news, you still gave your dad hope. It doesn't get much better than that.

I know how that decadron works. Now he will probably eat you out of house and home. Better stock up! LOL! Oh, yeah, and he will also keep you up talking all night. :roll::wink::D

I'm impressed with how fast they got the WBR mask made and the treatments scheduled. I believe those are GOOD signs.

Angie, I care! Hang in there!

Love,

Peggy

Angie.

I have been thinking about you (and some other choice people) on this board since you posted about your Dad. Just to let you know that the good thoughts are flying all the way atcha....all the way from over here.

And, yes, you are a heckuva gal. I am so very sure that your Dad is really proud of you just for being YOU.

Cindi o'h

Angie,

You are one heck of a woman. Your dad is lucky to have you on his side. I am so sorry to hear all the bad news. It will be quite a battle you have before you now. Put out those fires as long as he is willing and wants to. I am so glad you got to go out for lunch. It will be a day you will not forget.

Nina

Angie,

I am so sorry to hear about the progression of the cancer. I know all to well, how devastating it is to hear news like this about your dad.

You seem to be a very upbeat and hopeful person and that is exactly what your dad needs right now. It also sounds as though you have a great group of doctors and they are willing to keep fighting.

My thoughts are with you and your family. I wish you great success on the treatments to follow.

Now go attack the fire and enjoy those lunches with your dad!

DianeR

Angie

I am so sorry to hear this. But it sounds like your daddy still has a fighting attitude and drs that still feel they can treat this. That is a good thing!! I will pray that when you go in to see the onc today that they have the ladder truck pulled up to start putting out the fires.

God bless you

Kim

Angie,Again so sorry to hear this news.I agree with the others,you are a heck of a lady and your dad is without doubt a heck of a guy.If the two of you should suddenly get wet ( a soaking out of nowhere ) it's because I'm gonna try to put some of those fires out as well.All the way from up here in Western Pa.Keep hanging in there & and as always keep your chin up.

Angie,

What can I say? I am sorry you are dealing with all of this. As others have said, I think it is a positive sign that the doctors are still offering treatment and that Dad is still willing to put on those fire boots and fight like heck!!! Many prayers going upward.... Love, Sharon

Angie,

I am so dismayed to hear the news on your dad. I now understand why when they talk about someone with cancer they always say "so & so is BATTLING cancer". Isn't that the truth. It is always a new battle, never a moment's rest. Please know that you and your dad are in my prayers and hope that the WBR works.

TAnn

Angie,

I'm going to hold good thoughts that the WBR, while a bear to get through, will eventually turn things around for your dad. Just keep telling him that it does get better even if things get rough during treatment. When it's over, things will slowly start to improve. Prayers for you all.