not sure what to do or where to go

Lisa O

The last few weeks have been so difficult. One family member after another has fallen ill. My mom had a minor surgery and then had to fly to Arizona because my aunt had been in an accident which due to complications became serious.... bear with me... this has a point...

My mom ran herself down and ended up in the ER where they took a chest X-ray. Of course it was abnormal which lead to a CT which lead to a 2cm ground glass opacity in the right lower lobe. They are going to try two weeks of antibiotics and repeat the scan.

I scheduled the CT scan with a follow up appointment with my thoracic surgeon. My mom is a young vital 60 year old smoker. I am frightened for her because she is a smoker. When I went through lung surgery, my lungs were very healthy. She has emphysema from smoking. She is scared they won't operate.

I don't know if my family can take both of us having lung cancer. My children are going through too much already... especially since I am stage IV. I don't know how to even process this.

I know I am rambling. It has been quite a week and my scans are next week. It seems stress is a bit deep right now. If you are inclined toward prayers or well wishes my family could use those right now.

Thanks

Why do things seem to come in bunches?

Prayers for peace and trust coming your way, Lisa! These are God's favorite things to give and see.

Prayers, too, that all is well with your mom. Your family will be ok. If they are looking at you as an example, I KNOW they will be ok.

((((((((((((LISA)))))))))))))))))

Love,

Peggy

Anything you need, Lisa. Well, except a kidney, I doubt I can donate a kidney now...or bone marrow...or blood. I'll give you a piece of my heart, how's that?

Here's hoping it's all just something tied in with emphysema and NOT anything we don't want to mention...

xxoo,

Becky

Well shoot!!! Lisa, I am so sorry that you are dealing with the fear of the unknown with your Mom right now. Believe me, I am walking in those shoes right now with Dad. Scary, huh?

Hopefully the antibiotics will take care of whatever is showing up on your Mom's scan. Maybe it will be nothing. It just HAS to be nothing.

I am certainly inclined to praying...........all hours of the day and night here lately. You and your family will certainly be remembered. Take a deep breath.............If you need me, I am here. You can PM me anytime. I will even send you my phone number if you would like. You just let me know what you need, o.k.?

In my thoughts and prayers~~~

Angie

Lisa,Sorry you have such a full plate of bad things rite now.I hope anti biotics clear up the problem for your mom.When I was diagnosed they said I was inoperable.I had also smoked for many years and and had copd in both lungs.Well they did operate and so far I am doing ok all things considered.Bottom line there is always hope.If it turns out to be no cancer that is good.If it happens to be cancer tell her not to lose hope.

Lisa,

You sure have enough on your plate right now. I hope and pray that your mothers dx will be scare tissue or something that can be treated with antibiotics. You have been in my thoughts and prayers since I read this post but I could think of nothing to say to comfort you. I still can't. Just know that I care and wish you good news.

Nina

Hi Lisa,

All my love and good prayers have been going to you and to your family. My radiology reports read "ground glass opacities" too, but I am pretty sure that it is from the radiation treatment. Cuz it shows up in my left lung too. And there is no cancer there...for Sure.

I don't know what ground glass opacities mean...I think it might be some kind of fibrosis.

Love, Cindi o'h

Stress, anxiety, & what if's? seem part & parcel of the DX: we all share, & even though we know negative thoughts will only hinder our recovery it's hard indeed to ignore them.

I'm reading a book called 'The Power of Now' by Eckhart Tolle reccomended by the phychiatrist assigned to me by the hospital to deal with drepression. It's having a positive effect ~ just a thought.

I'm including you & your Mom in my prayers ~ the power of prayer is also positive, especially when it's magnified by so many caring people on this board. I love you all & am so grateful we have this outlet, it would be grim indead if we did not.

Lisa,

There are a lot of 60ish long-time smokers on this board who have been able to have successful surgery. I was a smoker, and although I'm not as old, had a little bit of emphysema. I have recovered wonderfully from surgery and I credit that to following my surgeon's orders regarding activity to restore lung function following surgery.

If, and that's a big if, right now, she needs surgery, she'll have to have that pulmonary function test first to see where she's at. Hopefully, if she needs surgery, she can get it and have a full recovery.

In the meantime, my thoughts are with you and your family. I can only imagine the stress you're having right now....try to take care, all that stress can't be good for you.

Cindy

Lisa,

There are a lot of 60ish long-time smokers on this board who have been able to have successful surgery. I was a smoker, and although I'm not as old, had a little bit of emphysema. I have recovered wonderfully from surgery and I credit that to following my surgeon's orders regarding activity to restore lung function following surgery.

If, and that's a big if, right now, she needs surgery, she'll have to have that pulmonary function test first to see where she's at. Hopefully, if she needs surgery, she can get it and have a full recovery.

In the meantime, my thoughts are with you and your family. I can only imagine the stress you're having right now....try to take care, all that stress can't be good for you.

Cindy

Oh Lisa, so sorry you and your family are having to go through this again. Just recently my neighbor called in tears, ex-smoker, 50 years old had a 5 cm spot show up on her lung. Turns out it was fatty tissue!. There are things other than cancer, its just when we are in the middle of it, it is really hard to see. My prayers are with you guys.

Love and hugs,

Nancy B