A Downer of a Weekend

Guest DaveG

Guest DaveG

My wife and i went out for Friday Nite Fishfry. While at the restuarant, I began to feel "funny" (dragged out and tired). I nibbled at my salad, at my baked potato, and at the fish. I hardly touched the glass of lemonade. By the time we got home, I was really dragged out and finally called the Oncologist on Call at the U of Wisc. Cancer Center. At 10:00 PM I was in the emergency room of the local hospital getting an IV, as the conclusion was that I was dehydrated. I ended up spending most of Saturday in bed, with absolutely little to no energy.

Today I got up and went to church, after which, my wife dragged me out to Walmart, where she bought ice cream, orange juice, and any other thing that she thought I would eat, as my appetite has be been just plain lousy. Everything my wife fixed for me yesterday either had no taste, or was too spicy, although thse were meals I usually eat quite well.

I get so I really hate going through all this every three weeks, just trying to beat LC. I am getting nervous because my next chemo cycle is 3 days before the golf outing I have organized, and that's exactly what it took for the chemo to hit me this time, 3 days. I am planning to limit my activities during that period, to just doing stuff for the outing and not playing golf, except on the day of the outing.

I was really down yesterday. I was depressed and had no interest in any outside activities. I just stayed in bed most of the day. Chemo and Cancer Suck.

Dave, See if you can get an IV fluid hydration. Maybe the day after the chemo. Sure worked for me. It would be awful if you were too sick for your tournament.

Keep up the fight, Dave. (I know you will.) Everyone on this board is rooting for you!

:lol: COME ON DAVE, YOU ARE ONE OF MY HERO'S ON THIS BOARD. YOU ARE JUST HAVING A BAD DAY OR TWO. YOU PROBABLY WILL EXPERIENCE MANY DAYS LIKE THIS UNTIL THE TREATMENTS ARE FINISHED. THEN ABOUT A MONTH LATER YOU WILL START TO HEAL AGAIN. THAT IS WHAT HAPPENED TO MY HUSBAND BUDDY AND ALTHOUGH HE DOESN'T HAVE TO MUCH ENERGY AT THE PRESENT TIME, HE IS BUILDING UP TO IT BY WALKING IN THE FRONT OF OUR HOUSE 5 TO 6 TIMES A DAY. HE STARTED OUT ONLY ONE TIME BUT HAS NOW BUILT UP TO MORE. YOU TOO CAN DO THIS. HE ALSO KEEPS AT HIS SIDE BOTTLED WATER. HE DRINKS ON IT ALL DAY. HAS EVER SINCE CHEMO STARTED BACK IN OCTOBER. IT FLUSHES OUT ALL THAT OLD CHEMO AFTER IT IS FINISHED DOING ITS THING TO THE CANCER.

WE JUST GOT BACK FROM A NICE LITTLE RIDE UP TO A LOCAL PARK. THEY GOLF THERE AND WE LIKE TO WATCH. NEITHER ONE OF US GOLF BUT WE ENJOY WATCHING. ABOUT 4 OR 5 YRS AGO, MY HUSBAND ENTERED A CONTEST TO WIN $25,000 FOR A TEN FOOT PUTT. HE INSISTED HE COULDN'T DO IT SO HE PUT ME IN FOR IT. I HAD NEVER GOLFED BEFORE IN MY LIFE. I PRACTICED AT A LOCAL COUNTRY CLUB FOR ABOUT A MONTH. I GOT SO I WASN'T TO BAD SO THE WEEKEND CAME AND IT WAS HELD AT KINGS ISLAND. IT WAS THE PRO SENIOR GOLF TURNAMENT HELD HERE EACH YEAR. THERE WERE TWO OTHERS WHO WON THE RIGHT TO PUTT. THEY CAME FROM HOUSTON AND SOUTH CAROLINA. ONE LADY TOUCHED THE BALL JUST SLIGHTLY AS SHE WAS GETTING READY TO PUTT AND THE BALL MOVED, THAT WAS HER PUTT. I COULD HAVE CRIED FOR HER. THE OTHER THOUGHT SHE WAS IN A LONG DRIVE OUTING AND SHE HIT THE BALL CLEAR OFF THE GREEN. NEEDLESS TO SAY, I MISSED THE HOLE BY 1/16TH OF AN INCH ON THE SIDE. IT WAS FUN, AND FROM THAT DAY ON I HAVE LOVED TO WATCH GOLF ON TV AND IN PERSON. THAT IS HOW I KNOW YOUR LOVE FOR THE GAME. HOPE THIS LITTLE STORY CHEERS YOU UP A LITTLE. PLEASE JUST GO WITH THE HORRIBLE FEELINGS ONE GETS WITH THESE TREATMENTS AND WAIT FOR THEM TO GET OVER TO GET BACK ON YOUR TWO FEET AGAIN. GOD BLESS

Dave,

I want you to go grab your teddy and lie down, relax, and indulge yourself in you.

Let others do the work, worry not and concetrate only on whacking that ball!

I wish I had some chemo advise for you. My only experience with it is with my stepdad, who had bone cancer, and I can't remember what he did during times like this. Wish I did, he pulled thru like a champ and beat it.

YOU WILL TOO!!!!!!

Dave, anyone on this board who has had chemo can tell you that dehydration is something you have to constantly watch. Also, the tiredness, etc. unfortunately come with the package. Chemo is the beating you take to beat the cancer. Hope things go well in the future, but again, it usually gets worse with each dose (I know, I could have gone all day and not said that). Blessings. Don

Hi Dave,

Sorry to hear you're having a bummer weekend. But just think, with each treatment you get, you're that much closer to gettin' it over with. When I had to go in on Mondays for my three dayer, on Sunday i would get very down. The thought of checking in to the hospital really was tough, but the results have worked. So that's the upside of all of this. THE RESULTS WILL WORK. :) Also i remember drinkin ALOT of Gatorade to keep hydrated. and I took at least 2 Ensure drinks when I could not eat. I think those two things helped alot. Rest up and you'll be ready for your golf extravaganza!!!!!

Joanie

Hi Dave,

My mom who is 62 is on the same chemo as you. She also has it every 4th week. She had her 5th treatment 17 days ago and she is still tired and lacks energy. She still has pain in her legs from the Carboplatin and Taxol. She says the side effects get worse as each new treatment is taken. Luckily her last treatment for a while (if she still takes it) is on 7/9. then they are giving her a break from it. I am not sure if she is clean or not yet. we find that out on 7/7 for head scan for brain mets and I am not sure when for PET scan.

My point....I can simply say....it sucks but I try to tell mom that the worse the side effects make you feel....the more cancer cells its killing. I also think that the side effects get worse because as the chemo goes on....there are less and les cancer cells to kill and more good cells are getting blown up instead. Thats why she feels so awful. It may or may not be true but hey its something I like to think about.

Hope the side effects let up soon.

Dave,

Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you and that I'm sorry you've been feeling so down lately. Wish there were something I could say that would help.

When my father first began chemo, he felt quite good the first few days, but on day 6, he felt really lousy. The next week, it was day 3 that he felt the worst. The week after that, he really didn't have a terrible day, and the last few weeks, the same thing. So, I guess you never know. I'll be praying that you have a good day on the day of your big golf outing.

Take care,

Oh Dave,

Big hugs.....(((HHHUUUUGGGGSSS))) You are entitled to feel "down" once in a while. It's tiring having to fight all the time. But, you are the "

winner" here. And, this is all just temporary. That's my mantra. "This is only temporary." I will continue to send big hugs and prayers to you. You have been such an inspiration to me and so many other people going through this with you.

Take care my friend and have a good week. Be kind to yourself!

Cathy R

Dave

Try to hold your chin up! Just try to think of the beating the cancer cells are taking. Use visualization to see them taking it worse than you are. You know you are tougher than this cancer. Since I have started chemo I have noticed the effects too and I know it is very frustrating to have to go through, I had to get my attitude in check last night because I was letting everything and worrying take over but we have to pull ourselves up by our bootstraps and move on past this you can do it!

Dear dear David,

Hoping that you are finding some comfort at the end of this week end. I too think that the worse you feel the more the treatment is killing the cancer. Please know that we all have you in our thoughts and prayers. A special hug for your dear wife Barb.

Blessings to you,

Peg

Cancer sucks and the chemo is as bad. I used to tell Hugh to visualize his body creating healthy cells while he slept. You have to be tired because there is a war going on inside you. The chemo killing all those bad cells and your body working to regenerate healthy ones. Being tired really drove him crazy. He has always been a water-drinker and that didn't change when he was doing chemo and he didn't suffer dehydration. He constantly has either a glass of ice water or ice tea in his hand.

Being down is part of it, you can't help it. I hope this week is better!

Dave,

A couple of things:

Make sure your wife is doing the pinch test for dehydration. Earl swears I am just being mean. HeHe

Remember, as crappy as this chemo is, it KILLING all those LC cells. Unfortunately, it also kills some good cells so all of your body's soldiers are out there rebuilding new good cells. That's the fatigue, those soldiers never stop. (Yeah)

We call these bad days as having the 'Chemo Crud' and it is cruddy. But I like that mantra "This is only temporary".

Stay strong and upbeat.

Ohh Dave, Hang in there!!!, Ya gotta a whole lotta people here pulling and praying for ya.

Your right cancer does suck, sometimes you just put one foot in front of the other and leave the results up to God, Get some rest, grab that teddy like Gina says and be well; better days are a comin!!! :):)

God bless and hang in there, we have faith in ya!!

Bobmc - NSCLC- stageIIB- left pneumonectomy- 5/2/01

" absolutely insist on enjoying life today!"

Hi Dave,

Dave you have always been so supportive. I feel bad that you feel

so down. You were the onewho was always so inspirational to all of

us. The chemo sucks, but we need it to keep us alive. If you still

want to live to be an old fart and out golfing that's what must be done.

I drank 8 glasses of water starting the day before chemo and including

chemo day and 6 days after I drank 8 glasses per day. You have to get

those dead cells out. Ask you oncologist about meds to help you out.

Good Luck and God Bless

Marsha

Dx 12/01 Stage `11B Adenocarcinoma, 1/02 removed right lung,

4/02 lump on side of neck restaged 1V nsclc, 6 chemo treatments

of taxol/carboplatin, started 5/02 ended 8/28/02- still in remission and

glad of it

Hi Dave,

I am so sorry you are having a bad time. I'll pray for better days to come for you. I dont much about chemo, but what if you postpone it just for a day or two to make sure it doesnt hit you on the day of the golf outing, is that possible or not?

Dear Dave,

I love ya on your UP days (which are definitely the majority) and I love ya on your DOWN days ( which are the teensy, tiny minority).

You are entitled to feel crummy with everything that you are going through, and I think your open honesty about how you feel and what chemo does to you is really reassuring to others in a backdoor sort of way--they realize it ain't all a walk in the park and that what they may be experiencing sometimes happens to others.

I know that in a day or two you will be back to rooting us all on and sending out positive vibes to all. I'm hoping the tournament goes super well for you; I know it will be a success because YOU are involved. I'd love to be there in the cheering section (I don't play golf :lol: ). Take care and know you are being prayed for.

Dave-

I know how these days can creep up on us! You need more rest with your treatments than you did before. Not much you can do except let it happen. I am more tired and weak now, than I was 4 mos ago, when I started this round of chemo. It is a cumulative effect of those poisons that do it. BUT--it is the poison that kills off those pesky ca cells! Let your wife spoil you some! You WILL fell better soon. :D:D:D:D:D

Dave, Dave, Dave, what am I gonna do with you? You are in for a major a__ whooping! I am going to have Estelle drive to your house and slap you silly. How many times are we going to do this dehydration thing?Drink drink and drink till you can't stand it.

You are really in for it on Wednesday. :lol:

Dave, everyone has down days and everyone has that 1 special thing that can bring them out of it... Go do it and get your spirits back up!!!