I get this strange phone call.....

-Cheryl-

Hello Folks,

I get this call from a fellow LPC who supervised me to get my lisence years ago. She tells me that a co-worker had called her and was plotting against me basically. The co-worker was telling this therapist she should come and apply for my job, that my boss was trying to get rid of me and my cancer was really bad. She was telling me this out of loyalty. I was so hurt and upset. I cried for hours. I felt decieved, because my boss was complimenting me on the Thanksgiving dinner I helped organize and the huge donation recieved by me from Wal*Mart. He told me how he wanted me to keep my job and would work with me to do that. Meanwhile, he is discussing my health with a fellow employee, who thinks it is her job to help rid me from LRMHMRC. I don't know, but isn't there a Hippa violation or something with them discussing my health. This coworker, is a case manager, and works with the adult population. She has no buisness in my buisness, and I have told her so in the past, which is probably why she dislikes me. Any way, I went to work the next day and heard her down the hall. I popped my head in, while she gossiped with three other employees and told her,"So and So asked about you and told me to tell you Hi." She said, "Oh I have been meaning to call her and tell her "Hi." I just thought this co-worker should know I got her number and know what she is up to. I have faith God will take care of her for me. She is decietful and it will catch up to her one day. I can not believe people, how could they cospire agaisnt someone with cancer. What kind of world has this become. She is absolutely evil, and has brought to herself some pretty bad karmma. What goes around comes around I firmly believe. She will have to answer to God, when he reads to her the Book of Life. I pray to God to help me not harden my heart towards her for what she has done.

Cheryl

I'm so sorry for you're having to put up with that awful woman at work.

Yes, there is evil in this world, more than most of us want to think.

I hope someone will come along with some knowledge of the law and let you know if you have options against this lady. I'd personally like to see her sitting out in the unemployment line, but what are the odds...

Good luck and try to keep your head held high and proud.

Kathy

Yes it is a HIPAA violation because she has no "need to know" your information. Personal medical information is only to be kept by individuals with a need to know like the HR personnel and only discussed in a confidential manner.

Keep documenting Cheryl, if nothing else you are going to write a great book. :P

Hey Cheryl,

I would not even listen to anymore remarks/comments/information. Why worry yourself, it may not be true. You know what your boss told you. Focus on your recovery. Just do your job and if someone tries to tell you something negative stop them before they get started and say you just don't want to know. Until something happens that you can absolutely prove why invite this stress into your life.

Laura

Cheryl, your privacy rights have been violated if HR, or your boss, or anyone with a legitimate right to your health information, has shared it with your co-worker. If she is just gossiping, that is cruel, but not illegal, unfortunately. If you suspect she has "protected health information" about you, then go immediately to HR and issue a written complaint.

Best wishes to you, Teresa

Cheryl,

My first comment was going to be the same thing Theresa said. Gossip is always cruel, but unfortunately not illegal. That's probably a good thing, otherwise I would have ended up in jail a long time ago.

Truth is also a defense to any type of slander or defamation, and proving real damages is next to impossible.

All that being said, I think Laura gave you some pretty sound advice. Maybe it would help you get through this if you thought of how you would advice the children in your care to react to viscious attacks by their little friends, or better yet, since you're a Christian, to ask "What Would Jesus Do?"

Some time ago, a friend taught me a response to say to someone who feeds you with the bad news, or gossip that hurts you. Here are a couple of examples: "Well, that's odd, I really like ________. I'm so surpirsed to hear that he/she feels that way." Another one (if you don't like the person - lol): "Gosh, I'm sorry to hear that. _________ is a good person and a hard worker. I didn't know he/she felt that way about me."

Two things can happen with this type response. First, it takes away some of the desire for revenge, and second, if it gets back to the person spreading the gossip, it heaps hot coals on their head and they are usually convicted of their gossip. There is a verse that talks about that in the Bible, and I will be happy to look it up for you if you like.

In addition, again knowing you are a devout Christian, I have a favorite Bible verse that helps me to get through things like this:

Romans 8 : 28 "All things work together for good for those who love God, for those who are called according to His purpose." Please note it says ALL things. Not some things, but ALL things - even bad things.

Also, I have a quote stuck on my wall at work that has helped me and many others to get through difficult times:

"Everything works out right in the end. If things are not working right, it isn't the end yet." Michael C Muhammad

Love,

Peggy

Cheryl,

Obviously your co-worker doesn't have enough work to do! Maybe she needs more added to her case load........ :twisted: It was nice of your former supervisor to call and let you know what is going on. Like you said, what goes around comes around. Unfortunately, you don't have the support of your boss and I doubt he would tell you the truth if you confronted him. It was good that you got your little "jab" in, she now may see you have more friends than she thought and choose her words more wisely in the future.

Try to rise above this pettiness and like the others said, go to work and do your job. The rest isn't worth the worry. Keep your chin up!

TAnn

Cheryl,

Would the friend who made the call to you (to tell you what your coworker is doing) be willing to make a written statement (and have it notorized)detailing the substance of the conversation between herself and your coworker? It would provide evidence which speaks to your employers' efforts to force you from your position. And if nothing else, it may result in disciplinary action taken against the coworker.

I am horrifed that your coworker is in a position to be counseling others.