wheelchair question

kimblanchard

Hi everyone,

Chris has an appt tomorrow morning for blood work and I just realized that there is no way I will be able to get him to the car from our house. Does anyone know where I can rent a wheelchair? I can't find anything online other than to buy (they are really expensive). Does anyone know if hospitals rent wheelchairs? I am really worried about Chris. He just walked from the bathroom back to his bed (10 to 15 steps) and he is TOTALLY winded. He also needs to take a steroid immediately to catch his breath. I am hoping that his breathing problem is more related to anxiety than to his cancer, but it is scaring me.

Dear Christina,

Call the doctor the first thing in the morning. Explain your problem and ask what you can do to get Chris to the appt. and what you can do in the future to help with his mobility. I am thinking that the insurance would cover the wheelchair if the doctor prescribes it?

Another idea--would a cab company be able to take you to the appt? Would they have help for someone who cannot walk on their own?

Thinking of you,

Ada

We found a really nice wheelchair on ebay for 100.00. It was really nice. We have since received the insurance provided wheelchair and its not nearly as nice as the one on ebay.

Heres one - >> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2937076791&category=19265

Another -- http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2936696296&category=19265

Etc.. I know this wont help immediately but is a lower cost solution.

Christina

All your doctor has to do is write rx for the wheelchair, find out where you medical supply is for your insurance and it will take a couple of days, if you lived near me i could give you our old one, my brother in law gave it to us he works in a pharmacy and they had a old one in the basement and we used it once now it is a coat holder everyone just throws there jackets on it. We also got a cane by have the doctor write rx for it and we got a walker from the hospital, the insurance will also cover things like a shower chair, or extended toliet seat, we got all of these and then my husband got sick and he passed away in March we even had a bar put in at the toliet and my husband never got to use it. Hope everything works out good for you.

Sandy

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all of the replies. This board is always so helpful....I hadn't even thought of insurance. I cancelled Chris' appt for now. We have a visiting nurse who is coming tomorrow so I am going to ask if she can draw his blood. I also made an appointment for him to go to Sloan Kettering on 7/15 for a third opinion. Somehow between now and then I am going to have to figure out how to get him there. I am hoping an ambulance is covered by my insurance. Looks like I will be making some phone calls today. :)

You should have an American Legion or VFW in your town. Most of these clubs have medical equipment, usually you just pay a deposit then when you are finished with it -return it. I had to get a wheelchair, a walker and a lift chair (back when I broke my leg) and that's all we did. Good luck.