Cat scan ?

appleton

I am only having X rays for the first year too. I am concerned about not having a CT scan as I feel they detect problems sooner than x rays and have asked my surgeon why I will not be having any. He said they treat the symptoms when they arise rather than detect them on a CT scan. It's just the way they do it here. I must add though that there are only 3 PET scans in the whole of the country, so possibly lack of money may have something to do with it. This is only my opinion though.

Karen,

Right out of surgery, I received a CT every other month and x-rays every month between. Six months out I went to a CT every three months and monthly x-rays when I didn't have a CT. A year out, it was alternating CTs and x-rays every three months (that's every six months for a CT). Starting in January, it will be alternating every six months and after year five, it will be an annual test.

My tumor was found on an x-ray as a "suspicious area". I had an x-ray eight months before of my chest to check out my heart (long story) and there was no suspicious cloud on the x-ray... I don't know if it would have shown up at that time on a CT or if it had, if anyone would have paid any attention to it. I DO know that my oncologist dated the cancer as being 3-5 years old. It wasn't visible on x-ray prior to December 2002...

I have noticed as I have gone through the journey with x-rays, that x-rays have come a LONG WAY in the last two years. The new digital film is far more detailed than the previous vinegar-stench operation...far more detailed...almost x-rated! :wink:

It all seems to be a crap shoot at times, ya know?

By all means, if you have questions, ASK them. It's not a free service, you're paying for it, get your money's worth!

Take care,

Becky

My mom seems to be getting hers every 4 months.

In August she had a PET, Brain MRI, chest and abdominal CT scan. Next Monday she will be getting just a chest ct scan. I asked about another PET, he said if they did those every 4 months she'd glow in the dark ;)

I am approacing the 2-year mark since surgery and I have had 3-month CT Scan's the entire two years. I had a scan this week, that was actually at the 4 month mark. I see my doc tomorrow, and have a feeling he is going to attempt to bump me to 6 month scans now.....but I will resist and stick with 4 months. I like being closely monitored. :roll:

I'm not far enough out from treatment and surgery. I will say that my old doctor was only going to do a CAT Scan at one year.

My new doctor immediately ordered a PET Scan (which I had been begging my old doctor for since June) and I will have another PET Scan in 3mths. Don't know what type of scan I will have after that BUT I do feel better being watched so closely!

I started out with PET and CT and then surgery. After treatments, I was given another CT, Brain MRI and PET as "base line". Since then I have alternated CT's with Xrays. I did have a brain MRI in July and a PET/CT in October. Now I am scheduled for a chest xray in Jan. I will be two years from surgery in March 2005.

Nina