Some test results questions

kimblanchard

Hi,

Dad is in the middle of a phase II clinical trial chemo treatment. He had his middle left lobe removed back in August and the doctors recommended chemo follow-up although they had felt that they had gotten everything with the surgery. He just had his 3 month check up and they found a spot (nodule) that showed up on the CT scan but not the x-ray. His onc spoke to him like they felt it was cancer and scheduled him for a PET for the next day (they let him go ahead with his weekly chemo) Right before the PET he met with his thoracic surgeon who said that he wasn't so sure it was cancer since it was going in the opposite direction they would expect it to go in (what does that mean?) and also that if it is cancer it is growing more rapidly than they would expect squamous cell carcinoma to spread. THe node is near the incision site and he said it might just be an inflammation from the surgery. Unfortunately he couldn't get the PET last weds. since his sugars were so high, the PET doc told him she thought he had diabetes (idiot, it was the steroids he is on to combat the chemo) so yesterday he went back to HOpkins for his PET now that his sugars had dropped back down. WE ARE STILL waiting for results. Any thoughts??? This waiting is killing us, it seems to get harder with each "it might be back" comment. I'd appreciate any thoughts, I'm trying to stay optimistic since they haven't called back yet. If it is cancer he will have to stop the clinical trial and they will have to make some more decisions. Thanks for listening to me ramble!

Tammy

Hi Tammy,

I'm sorry I missed this post. I'm glad Lisa found it and bounced it up. I don't have any answers for you except that I do understand how horrible the waiting is. Please let us know as soon as you know.

I must tell you that every time I see the picture of your dad and your baby, I think I stare at it for about 5 minutes. Your dad is a very handsome man, and I think that your little baby boy has got to be the CUTEST kid I ever saw in my life. Just look at those eyes!

Love,

Peggy

Thank you so much for your replies, they really keep you going. I had been away from the board for awhile since we were so busy helping dad out with his chemo. Well, anyway, please know that we keep all of you in our prayers. In fact, I ran a 5K for lung cancer back in November and raised $500 and did it for all of you suffering from this "monster"! Dad did get his test results back on Thursday and the spot came back "hot" on the PET, not the greatest news but the docs at HOpkins admitted that they can't believe the cancer is back. Apparently lots of 4 letter words were being used in their conference :) They are now scheduling a biopsy (bronchoscopy this time) to confirm (or hopefully deny) that their is cancer. We are still holding our breath and waiting. I'll post when I get some more news!

Peggy, thanks, we think they're both good looking too but we're a little prejudiced :)

Tammy

Hi, I am Nancy and am new to the group. Just trying to find out answers to so many unanswered questions. I am 49 years old am raising a 2 1/2 year old grandson. I lost my daughter 2 years ago and i would love to raise him but things aren't looking so good. I have a lung mass but the bronchoscopy did not show anything so now i have a needle biopsy. I am scared to go thru all this but what do u do. Just yesterday I started coughing up blood. Some bright red and some dark red. I too am going to Johns Hopkins for a 2nd opinion and will do all treatment there. What can you tell me about the hospital. Sorry about your dad. Life is so short and seems so unfair. Thank you for listening and I will be waiting to hear from you about hopkins and what do u think of it.

thanks again,

Nancy

Hi, I am Nancy and am new to the group. Just trying to find out answers to so many unanswered questions. I am 49 years old am raising a 2 1/2 year old grandson. I lost my daughter 2 years ago and i would love to raise him but things aren't looking so good. I have a lung mass but the bronchoscopy did not show anything so now i have a needle biopsy. I am scared to go thru all this but what do u do. Just yesterday I started coughing up blood. Some bright red and some dark red. I too am going to Johns Hopkins for a 2nd opinion and will do all treatment there. What can you tell me about the hospital. Sorry about your dad. Life is so short and seems so unfair. Thank you for listening and I will be waiting to hear from you about hopkins and what do u think of it.

thanks again,

Nancy

Nancy,

I am so sorry to hear about your daughter and your current situation and give you lots of credit for taking on your grandson. My son is now 2 and a half and I know how challenging that is! Anyway, about Hopkins, we are very happy there. My dad had a great experience there with his laryngeal cancer which is 2 years into remission. This lung cancer is a new primary cancer which was found early since he was already being followed. Dr. Yang did his surgery. My dad had a botched needle lung biopsy down here in Chesapeake Virginia (they didn't get to the spot, so they didn't get a specimin) So, we went back up to Hopkins for that lung biopsy and it went very smoothly. The doctors were wonderful and made him as comfortable as possible and the biopsy went much better. He is currently scheduled for a bronchoscopy this Weds at Hopkins. I would love to help you anyway I could. I just don't know where we would be without Hopkins! Hang in there! I am praying for you too!!

Tammy