question about swelling...

sheryl

My Husband has severe swelling in his legs and feet. Everything we have tried like feet above heart, warm baths, massaging and such has not relieved this for him.. Anyone have any suggestions for this issue. He is on lasix for fluid retention from heart transplant but its not helping either. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Sheryl

Hi Sheryl.

Don't know really how to respond here....

I know that your husband has an extensive serious medical history. What is causing the swelling? Sometimes the cause can be serious... edema is often a sign of other stuff...is this a chronic condition? something new? could it be an embolism?

My brother did have severe swelling in his feet. I don't know the cause. I think it might have been related to his lung cancer. The nurses would wrap and massage his feet and legs. But the only person who could get the swelling down was my sister in law. She was a former cardiac nurse. She massaged his feet and legs for an hour being careful not to go deeply. She used a special cream and then wrapped them "just right". She was very skilled at doing this and did it with so much love. She taught the other nurses how to do this wrap with the ace bandages. There obviously was a right way to do it and many wrong ways. Shirley was able to get the swelling to go down quite a bit. His feet were HUGE. Johnny always looked forward to her TLC.

That's about all I know about swelling in the feet and legs. I hope that you can find some answers.

Love Cindi o'h

Together WE heal.

Keep his feet elevated above his heart as much as possible. Wear support hose. There are support hose by prescription , made just for him, they are difficult to put on but they will not let your legs swell. My friend has had a blood clot in a major leg vein ( she also had lung cancer) and her leg would swell terrible. She got Jobst stockings and her husband helped her put them on before she got our of bed in the am. They helped a lot. The cure however was joining an exercise program, and building up new collateral veins , now a few yrs out she no longer wears the stockings except on a long road trip. Donna G

hi,

i'm looking for an answer about this myself. after surgery 11/24, two days ago my feet began to swell. i talked to my surgeon today and he set me for a doppler scan tomorrow. i guess this would check for thrombosis or embolisms.

the alternative, and i suppose less drastic, cause is edema but i don't know what cause there might be of this.

when i find out, i'll post back.

yours,

ken

hi,

i'm looking for an answer about this myself. after surgery 11/24, two days ago my feet began to swell. i talked to my surgeon today and he set me for a doppler scan tomorrow. i guess this would check for thrombosis or embolisms.

the alternative, and i suppose less drastic, cause is edema but i don't know what cause there might be of this.

yours,

ken

hi,

yours,

ken