Week of Challenges, Joy & Sorrow

SJAS

What a week this has been. We are still waiting for the results from the retinal angiogram to see what, if anything can be done to save Steve's vision. The good news though is that, thanks to Dr. Joe, Steve was sent for an emergency brain and orbital scan to rule out a possible cavernous sinus thrombosis (you don't even want to read the description on that one!), and it came back that he doesn't have it. :D:D:D Thank goodness for Dr. Joe - Steve fit the profile almost perfectly and if he had it, it would have required immediate treatment. (The docs here really sat up and took notice on that one!) Sooo, we still don't know about the vision, but hopefully will hear soon.

The sorrows: A student I work with told me his 27-year-old cousin, married just 4 months ago, has metastatic lung cancer. A new nurse in the doctor's office today told me she lost her 14-year-old daughter to lung cancer shortly after 9/11. A young mother in our church who recently celebrated 5 cancer-free years, just found out that her melanoma has returned and is throughout her entire body.

Feels like cancer is surrounding us at every step of the way!

Wow, Joyce....both ends of the spectrum emotionally, huh? I'm glad Steve does NOT have the c.s.t. and hope you get an answer soon re: his vision. Hoping this isn't something that will cause permanent loss...but that can be reversed.

And I'm so sorry about your friend's cousin, the nurse and the woman from your church. Some weeks it really does seem that tragedy or ill health is all around us AND that it seems to keep striking younger and younger people. :( Makes it sort of hard to shake the feelings of sadness, especially at this time of year. I'm sorry it's been such a rough week for you...and am sending vibes for better things ahead.

Boy, you have had a challenging week. I'm sorry to hear about your friends. My husband came home this week with reports of two men he works with, both have just learned they have colon cancer. Both have to have large portions of their colon removed, chemo, etc. I know he was upset about it, but it also gives him somebody to share treatment war stories with, especially since he won't come on here and talk to all of you.

Joyce, I am really praying hard that they can do something about Steve's vision. Please keep us posted.

All my love,

Peggy

Thanks Addie & Peggy for being there for me. We're still waiting (me - not very patiently :evil: ) for retina angiogram results. I've read menus at restaurants for years for a blind friend, but it sure feels strange to be doing it for Steve. He doesn't complain at all though. I'm just so lucky to have him.

Peggy, I'm so sorry about your husband's coworkers. His entire workplace must be becoming very cancer aware and sensitive. That bond is so real and so strong. We certainly feel it with all our friends and family who have gone through it. I hope for happy endings for all their treatments.

Had a long break between jobs, but not long enough to go home so went to the mall to walk. I haven't been there in ages. Felt so weird walking around seeing people busily Christmas shopping. I felt like I was the Ghost of Christmas Past, walking around watching how things are when cancer isn't in front of you every moment. I didn't feel jealous, just like a totally remote observer. "Humm, that's what life used to be like...."

Hi Joyce,

What a post, huh? Yeah, I agree we have a charm in our Dr. Joe. I am so glad that he is here WITH us. And I am proud of his kindness and humanity.

Cancer and illness seems to abound, when we are in the depths of it.

Your last paragraph struck a deep chord with me. I don't think life will ever be the same after diagnosis. I just cannot imagine that it could. Diffierent. Yes. But, boy, haven't we become more empathetic to others' suffering and pain? That has been my gift if I have to look deep. (It was alot easier when I didn't know suffering though, huh?)

Love and prayers,

Cindi o'h

Joyce...I guess it's true enough that cancer can sort of turn life on its ear...and sometimes it does feel like we sort of live "outside" of where others do......those others who don't have cancer in their lives. :( I know sometimes when I hear people grousing or arguing over what seems (to me) to be rather trivial.....I wonder what they'd do if a serious illness entered their life? Would some of the stuff they complain about now even matter then? :roll:

I wish you had results on the retinal angiogram by now! Sheesh. More so, I wish the results to be hopeful and good. You're a great caretaker for Steve, even if some of what you need to do feels a bit weird...like reading the menu for him. I'm sure he appreciates the care you take of him...and how you stay on top of whatever is going on. It means a lot to have a strong advocate...and you certainly are one.

Hope we get a report from you soon on results...and that they are what we all want to hear.