Tarceva side affects

Justakid

OK, it's day 5 on Tarceva 150mg. Something is going on in my body :!::evil:

I woke up with a rash on my face, kinda like the one you get from the steriods the day after chemo. All my "hot spots" itch: underarms, around my waistband, etc. :? But there is no body rash only my face. :oops:

We won't even discuss the other side affect of loose stools. :?

I have thrush in my mouth and my throat feels like I am getting a yeast infection (don't know if this is related - not one of the side affects mentioned by the doc). Goodness knows I have had enough yeast infections in my throat to know what they feel like!

Keeping an eye on things, took a benadryl. Have husband and mother on standby (just in case). Maybe tomorrow I will wake up and everything will be fine! :lol:

If this is side affects, they better figure something out cause I WANT this medicine :!:

I'll keep ya'll posted

Beth,

It sounds like Tarceva has the same side effects as Iressa. Iressa makes my skin very dry, especially around my mid-section. I have been experiencing much more of a rash since going back on it since wbr and the diarreah is worse too. I was wondering if Tarceva's side effects would be different. Sounds like they aren't too different after all.

As far as the yeast infection, haven't heard of that side effect w/either Tarceva or Iressa. At least you know what to be aware of so you can attack it early. Give the Tarceva a good try, the rash may come and go, as well as the "loose stools!" In the meantime, eat all the cheese you want!!!!! :wink:

TAnn

Beth,

My mom has not started yet, so I can't compare. But Iressa gave her the major tummy issues. My goodness could she RUN to the bathroom!!!!!!!

You should call your onc, they can maybe prescribe something to help the side effects be a little bit less. I think my mom took some of the stuff she took while on ch emo for the tummy issues.

Hang in there! I also remember with Iressa the oncologist said that the side effects should lessen a bit after teh body gets used to the toxicity of the drug.

As for side effects of Iressa/Tarceva, I heard that they are virtually identical. So you can maybe see what helped people cope with the Iressa side effects.

Beth,

With Iressa, my husband had a really red and angry rash in the area, but only in the area where he got radiation to his shoulder. He had the rash on his face, too, but nothing I would call bad at all, and that is mostly all gone. He used hydrocortosone creme (just over the counter) on the really bad area. It completely went away, as did most of the other rash. He now just has very, very little rash anyplace.

He has the big "d" but only occasionally, and he keeps that under control with anti-diarrheal OTC meds, too.

Could be an allergic reaction, too, but I know the rash and diarrhea are common with Iressa.

He didn't have anything in his mouth at all.

Hope it gets better FAST!

Love,

Peggy

Beth,

That does sound like an early EGFR reaction. I found that avoiding simple carbs as well as taking acidophallus helps minimize the yeast problems. There are many hints around for the skin, such as moisturizing cleansers, avoiding overdrying products...

Immodium helps many with the stomach issues. I pretty much adjust to the lack of ability to predict when I will have to rush to bathrooms. :wink:

I wish you good luck with this Beth. It has been over two years for me and although I still have the side affects, I have adjusted them quite well. I am sure you will do the same.

Day 6-

Didn't sleep last night, could have been from the benadryl since I am super sensitive to drugs.

I have rash around my nose and lips (think I have the biggest lips in town, feel like they are draging on the ground) :) .

Still itch in the hot spots but no rash other then the face. Noticable difference in my mouth (thrush) about an hour after I take the Tarceva. Bad taste in mouth (ick), ears burn. No benadryl today, just a very watchful eye, while we try to bake x-mas cookies. No intestinal problems so far today :lol:

I will say that it's got to be working cause it's even killing the good bacteria!

This is some strange stuff! Will call the doc on Monday, meanwhile keep looking at my rashy nose and lips (kinda funny!) :lol:

This is day 4 for me....nothing yet but let's see what happens when I wake up day 5.I don't think the toilet will be a problem because the pain meds I take constipate me so we are hoping for a happy medium on that end... I'm hoping you can handle this because I just know it's gonna work for both of us, Good Luck my little Tarceva buddy!!!

Beth,

Hopefully the side effects will diminish!

I just went to the Tarceva website and learned that Tarceva comes in 3 doages, 25mg, 50 and 150. It said recommended was 150, which is what you said you are on. They are starting my mom at only 25mg, probably b/c of the Iressa reaction. So hopefully her body will take this better and then she can build up higher to the 150 over time. I wonder if this will make her less scared to take the drug, i should call her now. And yes, I am talking out loud to myself :)

Please keep us posted Beth with how you are doing!!!!

Day 6 1/2, middle of the night.

Thrush on my tongue is killing me, even though it's 3am may get the hubbie to make a slurpee run for me. Should numb my tongue, then again there is always that nasty ladocaine :x

Took a benadryl around 8pm, didn't help. At least it tells me ir's not an allergic reaction but a side affect....that's good!

No intestinal problems :D , still have rash on lips and nose, oh yeah headache but that could be from stress and lack of sleep!

Wishing Monday would get here, getting cranky (go figure) :wink:

I'm still taking this stuff, obviously it's doing something! My weak body, can't take cancer treatment :roll: gggrrrrrrrr

Hey Beth,

Sorry you are having a hard time. Jack just started tarceva too. The onc said the rash shows it is working so it is a good thing. He has not developed one yet. He had 2 days of really bad diarrhea but that is now under control. He also has thrush but we assumed it came from the nebulizer they had him on since the stroke. Been having a hard time getting rid of it. I hadn't considered it might be coming from the tarceva. I hope u can get some answers monday. Good Luck, will be thinking of you and keeping you in our prayers!

CAthyW

Day 8

Feels like my face will crack and fall off. Talked to the Doctor, he called in 3 perscriptions (mouth yeast infection, steriod cream and antibiotics).

Wonder how long it will take before the meds start to work. He did say that the Tarceva is working based on the appearance of my face. :roll:

Oh well, hopefully it will clear up soon!

Perscriptions - Clindamycin an antibiotic used for the treatment of acne, also saw something about it being administred to AIDS/HIV patients (hum, wonder why). Fluconazole for the mouth yeast infection. Both drugs were perscribed for a 30 day period with 3 refills.

Hope this works!

Hey my little friend.

I should say this better work... the slurpee fund must be getting low by now... :D . I just love your husband for doing your slurpee runs for you.

Keep us posted on how this Tarceva business is working for you and the zits if they ever get under control.

Can't be too much fun having Thrush. That comes from a knocked down immune system, doesn't it? ....go figure.

I always like to hear what is going on with you, Kid. You are a fighter, that is for sure! Hang in there. Always looking for an update.

love, Cindi o'h

Beth,

When I first went on Tarceva, I broke out with a rash more like the worst case of acne around by nose and my mouth. I felt like every pore was a whitehead and ozzing. It hurt. It started about 2 -3 wks on the pill. It did resolve itself but I cannot remember how long it took. Thereafter, I would get an isolated pimple until it spread to my back and upper chest which occured about 4months. My whole back was cover with these little whiteheads. They did not hurt but were not pretty to look at. The doctor prescribed an acne medicine which work very well.

The other thing that occured was I had increased color to my cheeks which help to save on blush. I found that the color would increase in extreme conditions like spending a day at a water park or sleighriding with my son. (who is eight - Is this the same age as your son?) I would also get big red blotches which went away as soon as I got to an area with relatively normal temperatures.

The longer I was on the pill, the intestional problems started to appear. I must warn you that I have struggled with IBS a good part of my life.

I also noticed that side effects would seem to run in cycles. The pill also changed the texture of my hair (it became coarser), it made my hair curly, and it no longer fell out so it got very thick.

Overall, I tolerated this pill very good. I hope that your experience is as good. It would be a great way to recover from all of your other treatments this past year and their horrible side effects.

If you have any further questions, please do hesitate to pm me.

Good luck and Merry Christmas.

Maureen

Thanks Maureen! I feel better knowing that these disgusting white bumps will go away. Frankly it's getting embarassing, people use to look at me cause I was bald......now I look like I have some elephant face disease...and oh does it hurt, feels like you could take a putty knife and peel my face off. OK this is just too graphic! ick! :? Wish you could remember how long it took. It's hard to hide behind sunglasses 8)

I'm on acne meds (although it also says AIDS/HIV patient use it, guess since they have lesions) also taking difulcan for the stupid yeast infection in my throat. Guess I'll have these darn yeast infections in the throat anytime something in the old body goes wrong.

Well that's also my update for my other Tarceva buddies! So far only had the intestinal problems twice and been taking them for 9 days....so that's not too bad! Maybe I'll lose a few pounds :D The rash is disgusting, I even scar myself! My son (8) and daughter (13) keep telling me how nasty my face looks, I had to remind them that I still kissed them when they had chicken pox! :?