PCI - One day at a time. (Day 7)

SDianneB

7 down, 5 to go. YAY!

Amazingly, my wheeze (leftover from chest radiation) seems to be leaving. I said that once before, but when the damp weather set in, it came back. This time feels different -- like it's almost clear. I can breathe in REALLY deep and not hear it much. Even breathing in the cold air feels good -- stimulating in a way! I guess it's just good to be breathing deeply and feeling the air go in and out.

The pressure is still there in my head, but still no headaches (knocking on wood). No nausea at all last night -- just lots of cuddling up with the kitties under the electric throw. Brrrr.

Do you ever get the feeling that you shouldn't always be so happy about good news? Here's what I mean. When I had chest radiation, I showed up at around 8:00-8:15 every morning, and they usually had me in and out by 8:30. I wanted that same time for the PCI, but it wasn't available -- I got really close though, 8:30. I get there around 8:15 and normally have to wait a while.

Yesterday and today though, I was called back the minute I walked in the door. It seems as though someone cancelled yesterday and today. So, today I made a comment about them being ahead of schedule, and the guy tech said something about a patient being taken out of treatment. Oh my. I know who it was. It was a man, looks to be in his 30s, was there just ahead of me every morning with his wife and 2 darling little girls -- looked to be 3 and 5 or so. He was in a wheelchair, and didn't look like he felt too well.

So, my good fortune in getting in earlier meant that someone is having a bad time of it. I will say a little prayer for that family. He is way too young to have this awful disease and those sweet little girls are way too young to lose their dad. It's my hope that he's just having a bad spell, and will be back in treatment soon. I will gladly give up those 10 minutes if he can come back.

Sometimes an opening will come because someone finished treatment. This wasn't one of those times. Once I get used to the faces in the waiting room, I want them ALL to be better -- to benefit from the treatment as I have.

One of the techs was out today, and Kathy -- the one who does the simulator and set up the mask was filling in. She asked if I was ready for Christmas (which would be a total shock if I was, because I never am!). I told her that I was very glad to even be having Christmas again, as I wasn't sure 6 months ago if I would or not. The guy tech said we tend to take those things for granted, don't we. We surely do. I told them that it was in no small part due to their efforts that I'm still here and doing so well. I'm upright, working full time, feeling well, and am so very blessed.

My Christmas card to those wonderful folks this year will be this: I'm sure they have burnout and eventually stop seeing their patients in the same way. But, when they feel that, I'd like for them to think of me and people like me who are having not only more of life, but quality of life because of their efforts. I'd like for them to know that in spite of the large numbers of people who don't do well, there are growing numbers of us who DO well. We have another Christmas, we adopt another pet from the shelter, we live our lives, and have smiles on our faces much of the time, because of those people who do this for us.

May God bless us all, but especially those who work in and around health care and who are there to see that we get the best care possible.

Di

Di: It is not surprising that you are doing so well, you have such a nice

attitude and a supportive mother with good genes.

I have an appointment for 8:45 and am usually out by 9:00. Lately I

find somewhere to go before I get back home but that is because I

so seldom get out. It is cold here and I must wear a mask but sun is

shining and I am feeling better so it is a very good day.

Nausea is better but I forgot to take the decradon this morning and the

doctor said that I should not miss a dose because he was doubtful

but hopeful that I could complete the series of 15 treatments. I know

that you have fewer than I. I have learned that the facility will be

closed Fri.-Sun next week so treatment for me will skip three days and

end on the 28th .

I just pray that this has been effective. I am just grateful that you have

helped me through. My techs now ask about you and Addie every morning. Today they asked where you were from but I told her I didn't

know. My focus was on how your treatment went today.

Have a great day! Hugs and prayers for all of us.

Dx'd Limited SCLC May 06,2003

PCI scheduled to begin 12/07.2004

Di: It is not surprising that you are doing so well, you have such a nice

attitude and a supportive mother with good genes.

I have an appointment for 8:45 and am usually out by 9:00. Lately I

find somewhere to go before I get back home but that is because I

so seldom get out. It is cold here and I must wear a mask but sun is

shining and I am feeling better so it is a very good day.

Nausea is better but I forgot to take the decradon this morning and the

doctor said that I should not miss a dose because he was doubtful

but hopeful that I could complete the series of 15 treatments. I know

that you have fewer than I. I have learned that the facility will be

closed Fri.-Sun next week so treatment for me will skip three days and

end on the 28th .

I just pray that this has been effective. I am just grateful that you have

helped me through. My techs now ask about you and Addie every morning. Today they asked where you were from but I told her I didn't

know. My focus was on how your treatment went today.

Have a great day! Hugs and prayers for all of us.

Dx'd Limited SCLC May 06,2003 :D

PCI scheduled to begin 12/07.2004

bacalice -- just tell them about my new bumper sticker: "I'm not bashful, I'm from Nashville." !!! :lol::lol::lol:

Of course, being in Music City, USA, we also have a bumper sticker that says: "Hank You." And "Loretta forever." Gotta love it!

Glad you're having a good day. I think you can make it too. There is a goal out there that I'm reaching for with this, so it keeps me going.

I try and not focus on the "what ifs" of side effects, and just pay attention to my body and what I'm feeling or not feeling.

And you're correct -- I thank my mother and her good genes for every day I feel good, and for the days I've had so far when I've felt good in spite of chemo, radiation, chemo AND radiation, and now the PCI.

The pulmonologist told me at the start of this that I'd have a much better go of it because I didn't have other complications -- no heart disease, no diabetes, etc. In other words, I could concentrate on battling the cancer and not have to worry about battling a lot of other things at the same time.

I know I'm blessed. I know that many other people have a really hard time of it. I want them to know that I understand and appreciate that, and I'm here to be their cheerleader and their biggest admirer.

Di

Hi, Di.....and Hi, Alice!!

First of all, yes....to be grateful for those in the medical field who take such care to make sure we get "toasted" properly or otherwise are given the best shot at regaining our health....is a must. Being in the company of the folks in radiation was much more a comfort than anything else...as they went out of their way to be kind and to ease any fears. It counted for a lot.

Alice....maybe all of us don't have the great genes that our Di has...but still, having a positive attitude helps...and you've got it! As I've mentioned before, I have a crummy immune system...yet I still made it through treatment relatively unscathed. I was a bit nervous about that....fearing I might not do as well as I did...so keep in mind that good genes OR great health (aside from the cancer) or even our age, really doesn't have to matter....as long as we hold on to a positive attitude and the belief that treatment is working for us!

Make yourself a little reminder note about the Decadron, Alice!! Seriously....you need to take it as the doc has prescribed it....as you're better off NOT getting the nausea in the first place, than trying to get rid of it once you feel urpy....you know? :wink:

Even if, for some reason, you don't quite make it all the way thru all of the PCI treatments...if you can get thru most of them I'm sure it will have a good impact. And if it's been helpful for you to come here and hear of other's experiences with the PCI....then I think it's great that Di started this daily journal of her treatments!

I'm three weeks out now from finishing PCI...and am no longer nodding off in the middle of the day. Or rarely, anyway! :wink::D Been getting a lot done for the holidays.....lots of baking, got my tree up, some other decorations put out, and in the last two days have wrapped up and boxed some gifts for mailing to 6 different out of town friends!!! Are my feet hurting a little bit from being ON them so much? Uh.....yes. Yes, they are! :roll:

Still.....it feels good to feel good. Even if I'm not quite 100%...I don't expect to be. I listen to my body and when I'm tired....I sit down and rest. YOu should do the same!

Oh...and for the record, I'm in Connecticut. Was supposed to move to Arizona....but have rethought leaving this area for now. Want to remain close to my oldest son and my medical team for now. Will think about relocating when I've got some good remission time under my belt.\

Meanwhile...I think I might go hang a couple of ornaments on my PCI mask.....about where my ears went. They can be earrings for the mask, eh? :wink:

You ladies have a good day....you're both on the downhill side of PCI now. And we BELIEVE it will help!!