Dad has appt. today w/ thoracic (sp?) surgeon

Debaroo

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know that dad goes to the thrac-whatever surgeon today. My sister and I were wondering-if they can't get Daddys lung working again, and he is on oxygen, is he still able to get chemo? The pulmonologist said that dad "CAN live with one lung, he'd be on oxygen" dad was upset because he dosn't WANT to live like this, he can't stand up without having to rest and to catch his breath.

So, Mom called the Oncologist to ask if Dad can get chemo, even if his lung isn't in working order, he said that he would be able to get chemo, but it would be up to Dad...he said "he would have to decide for himself...this is very difficult to talk about over the phone, but he would have to decide based on what quality of life it would give him. Lets just see what happens with the surgeon tomorrow, they may be able to get the fluid out and get his lung working again. We have to see what happens, lets not jump the gun."

Mom called me back, crying, and this whole thing...well, for lack of a better word...SUCKS (I hate using that word, but it really is the only word that I could come up with).

I'll keep you guys posted as to how things go, I don't know if the surgeon would take immediate action, or have Dad go to the hospital in the morning for the procedure to be set up then...

I just hate all the waiting. WAITING SUCKS TOO :lol: !!! And while I'm at it, I'm not crazy about the high taxes we pay on long island! and car insurance is too expensive, too! and the MOVIES-UUUGH, don't get me started, and what about the size of candy bars, they DID get smaller, didn't they? :lol::wink:

OK, OK. This is Deb signing off saying "Take care, and have a pleasant day."

Deb-

Will keep your dad in my prayers today as he visits the surgeon. Hopefully they can do something to help his breathing and get some chemo going. I agree with you - it certainly SUCKS - big time!!! I hate to use that word, too, but sometimes, well, it just fits!

God bless you and your family right now - you are all in my prayers daily!

Terrie P.S. Those candybar sizes - yes, they did!! :lol:

Deb,

I'll be keeping all movable body parts crossed that the surgeon is able to do something to reinflate your Dad's lung. I'm on Oxgen 24/7 these days, and I understand how frustrating it is to be tied to this tubing, but I also understand that sometimes we can be WEANED OFF of the oxygen, once our functioning lung has time to adjust to the increased demand being made upon it. It's my understanding that the lung will increase in size to compensate. I'm not a doctor, so I hope I understood all of this correctly. I had the remainder of my right lung removed 6 weeks ago, and I should be starting chemo at some point in the not too distant future. So I'm paying close attention to everything to do with how well people with one functioning lung handle any given treatment/situation.

Wishing you and your Father well,

Fay A.

Deb,

Just wanted to wish you and your dad luck with his appointment. I cant spell thoracic either...but you do have pulmonary down so that's a good thing!

Have no advice for you...just wanted to agree with you that all this sucks. Also, just remember....the high taxes that you pay on Long Island are to ensure that you can eat bagels, REAL pizza and Carvel ice cream on a daily basis if needed. Once you leave Long Island you may only pay about 1/10th the taxes and car insurance but you would be willing to pay a Kings Ransom for a pizza that actually moves when held upside down. And sprinkles!!! Do you now how LONG it has been since I've had SPRINKLES on my ice cream cone? You ask at Braums and they're totally clueless as to what sprinkles are. They tell you they have M&Ms or Reeses Peeces pieces.

So smile when you pay those taxes :) ! And seriously, hope all goes well with dad!!

Deb

Just to let you know that dad, mom, and you are nestled close to my heart and I'm praying for the best progress possible.

As ever, your sense of humor is intact and stands all of US in good stead! :) Keep the faith, friend!

Deb, Just getting home and read your post. I'm sure by this time you have already been to the Doc. Hope everything went well for your Dad. You are always in our prayers. Hugs Carol & Gene PS Just got my water bill today it looks like the National Debt nothing like Long Island Water!!!

Deb,

I totally agree with you. Waiting SUCKS! Cancer SUCKS! This whole experience SUCKS! And Yes, not only are the sizes of everything good shrinking, but their cost is doubling. Who's scheme was that... I think they should be sued for theft. :wink:

I will be praying for your sweet father and his visit to the surgeon to have good results.

Carleen

Deb

Please share with your dad that I have been on 24/7 oxygen for over 1 year and am doing fine. My life style has definitely changed. I do get out and about when I need, however, it gets easier to stay home instead of lugging around this tank.

Good Luck and God Bless