Brain MRI and CT Scan Questions

stand4hope

Happy Friday to all our experts, but I'm going to ask some questions even if it is the weekend. :)

We got hubby's MRI & CT results today and there are a few things on the reports that I would like your spin on what they mean.

The CT scan was basically stable, and I only have one question on it. What is radiation fibrosis and is this anything to be concerned about?

The brain MRI showed two new lesions, one on the left side frontal horn, and the other on left side frontal lobe. We understand this ok. We don't like it, but we understand it. :roll:

It also said: "There is an area of hemorrhage within an area of abnormal enhancement, representing a metastatic lesion. The metastatic is unchanged in size since the prior study." Should we be concerned about this "hemorrhage"?

In addition, it said: "Both vertebral arteries and both carotid arteries demonstrate signal voids, indicative of rapidly flowing blood." Huh? This sounds more like stroke stuff to me. What does this mean?

Lastly, the report refers to one of the new lesions as a "new metastatic lesion", but it refers to the other new lesion as a "new metastatic nodule". What's the difference between a lesion and a nodule?

You are all so wonderful to make yourselves available to answer our questions. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.

Love,

Peggy

Well, phooey. I had 2 more questions:

The brain MRI says "There is increased abnormal signal in the white matter probably due to radiation." The radiation (WBR & Novalis) was more than a year ago. What does this mean?

The CT says "The urinary bladder fills with contrast on the delayed images." Is this a good thing?

Thanks!

Love,

Peggy

OK, I'll take it from the top:

1) Radiation fibrosis is just scarring that occurs after radiation. It is normal and generally not a concern as long as it isn't causing a lot of problems with breathing (such as Cindy O has).

2) Hemorrhage from a metastasis is common and hard to comment about it being a concern. The majority of the time, the bleeding is self-limited and does not cause any ongoing problems. Occasionally it can lead to more significant bleeding which would be the equivelent of a stroke. I would only be concerned if it is a large hemorrhage (doesn't sound like it) or he is on blood thinners. Check with your doctor about that.

3) Rapid flow through the vertebral and carotids is no big deal, it is a technical comment from the radiologist indicating that between the contrast bolus and the imaging, the contrast had already passed through the arteries. That is the opposite of stroke stuff, if there was sluggish flow, then you'd have a concern.

4) A nodule is a round lesion. Its like dog and canine. Means the same thing, one is just a little more technical.

5) I'm very very sorry to hear that you received bad news. I know you were worried about those scans and bad news around the holidays is always especially difficult. I hope you can find some peace during this anxious time. I'd wish you strength, but its obvious that you have that already.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

There were 2 more questions in my second post, and if you have time, can you answer them?

The brain MRI says "There is increased abnormal signal in the white matter probably due to radiation." The radiation (WBR & Novalis) was more than a year ago. What does this mean?

The CT says "The urinary bladder fills with contrast on the delayed images." Is this a good thing?

Thanks again for your encouraging words. We are doing ok - ready to fight again and do what needs to be done. My husband is the tower of strength in this family.

God bless you and Merry Christmas!

Peggy