PCI - Weekend Update!

SDianneB

The 2nd weekend already! I remember last weekend, thinking this weekend would never come, and here it is already! Only 3 more treatments - yay!

Tonight is our Christmas party for the gallery staff & some special friends. My usual task is making a huge bowl of fruit salad (the kind with Cool Whip & marshmallows, etc.). I was up early and got this done, and now am sitting here thinking that was quite an achievement, seeing as though I'm having my brain fried every day!

Here's what I mean by that, knowing that there are so many people who have had way more (and higher dose) brain radiation than I --

It's remarkable to me that I made it through chemo, radiation, then chemo & radiation, and now more radiation. Just a mere 7 months ago, I didn't know if I'd be here for Christmas again. Not only am I here, but I'm having this life preserving PCI, and tolerating it quite well. I hopped up this morning and went right to the fruit salad -- a daunting task, because it's a really BIG bowl, and when you start pouring marshmallows and walnuts in, it gets really difficult to stir. I did it without missing a beat. It is a tradition -- and one I am so glad to still be able to carry out. Thanks to the advances made in medicine and the wonderful people who have taken part in my care this year, I was still here to make that giant fruit salad. When the new year begins, I will set my sights on being able to do that again for Christmas 2005.

Tonight, we will gather with friends and co-workers, exchange silly gifts, eat lots of food, and laugh a lot. It will be wonderful and meaningful.

But the true meaning of this day for me will be the fruit salad. Why? Because it was so normal.

Di

Somehow, Di, even before cancer I don't think you were ever "normal"! You, my dear, are above average in every sense of the phrase. May you continue to make fruit salad for decades to come in celebration of the holidays!

(...and ya know, this is your last weekend DURING treatment, all other weekends will be AFTER treatment...)

Take care,

Becky

Good morning, Di!

I haven't posted on any of your PCI threads, but want you to know that I have read and enjoyed reading every one of them. I'm sure they have been helpful to others going through the treatments.

I hope you have a wonderful time at your Christmas party because you deserve it. You have the BEST attitude!

Love,

Peggy

(...and ya know, this is your last weekend DURING treatment, all other weekends will be AFTER treatment...)

Becky, we talked about that at work a few days ago. What a thought! I think they measure survival from the time you are pronounced "clear," right? If so, then that would be around the first of December. But, I think I'll use the first of the year for *my* date, and will have as my goal from here on out just living that year and making the best of it.

All the angst I felt while the docs were wringing their hands and then to finally start (and now almost finish!) PCI can just fade into a distant memory now.

In January, I have to check in with the Pulmonologist and the Oncologist, and will be on a regular checkup schedule of some kind. That is going to be the closest to "normal" I've been in a long time, and will begin what will be the new "normal" for me.

Di

NORMAL-That word is such a good word!!

I am glad you are able to make the salad and happy you are here for this Christmas. I remember in Feb 2001 I was not given much hope of seeing Christmas 2001. Well here's to making a liar of those awful words, "you have ____ much time left!!!"

You party til the cows come home tonight and prayers said for many more fruit salads in the future!

Merry Christmas, Cindy

Cindy -- what an inspiration you are! I remember stewing and fussing over the difference between limited and extensive SCLC, thinking I'd only have a few weeks ( :roll: ) if I was extensive stage as the oncologist thought. Then I come to this forum and see people like you who have battled back that beast!!!

I can't wait until this cancer center has its annual picnic and survivor get together. I'm gonna be there crowing about some of you guys -- including you!!

Di

I love that salad...it really is more like dessert. My mom makes it and it is always a big hit. I hope you keep making it for years to come... (and I also hope you send the recipe and the story to kitkathi for the cookbook project). Wishing you all the very best~

Rochelle

To echo Peggy, I, too, have been reading your posts each day of your journey. I haven't replied much to them, but I do want you to know how inspiring you are!

Your strength and attitude are amazing. You fought hard for this and you are fighting hard through it.

I thank you for being here for all of us and hope you find the support here you need, too.

love and fortitude

elaine

Hi Di

Im guilty also, just reading your wonderful inspiring posts, but not responding or wishing you well. Im so sorry for that. Should my mom ever need PCI though i definetly will knowwhere to come. I make the same fruit salad also, tis moms favorite. When i read what you said about itbeing normal, it brought tears to my eyes. Something so simple yet so profound. I just know this PCI will do exactly what it was meant to do for you...have a merry Chistmas!!!

Kim