A Normal Day is such a Blessing

Carleen

This is my first time posting in this forum. I guess I was holding out to have the "Big" good news to post such as shrinkage or NED (I'm still planning on that). However, today I just felt that I needed to be thankful for the smaller joys too. Up until now I've been having trouble with that.

This past Monday Keith started a new Chemo protocol of Cisplatin and VP-16. He received treatment Monday Tuesday and Wednesday, and pretty much this whole week has been horrible. He has been so exhausted, nauseous, light-headed, knocked out. Basically up until this weekend, he's slept 18-20 hours a day all week. He could barely get up to go to the kitchen or walk around the house. The weekend got better with small trips to the store and more awake hours, but I've been so worried and depressed seeing my strong hubby so sick.

Currently in Milwaukee, we have a summer festival (called Summerfest) that goes on for 11 days each year. It is the biggest thing in Milwaukee every year and my husband has always looked forward to it, and taken vacation time during this week to go. It's 14 hours of music, food, entertainment with 13 free admission stages with many famous big name bands hundreds of restaurants and stores.

After this past week, we had resolved that we would probably miss it this year. But yesterday, Keith felt a bit better, and two friends joined him in going to Summerfest.

He spent 7 hours walking around listening to good music, eating and drinking beer, talking and laughing with friends.

It was a good day. It was a day where a 31 year old man could go and spend an afternoon with friends like a normal 31 year old man would. Not a LC patient. He came home with a smile and such a good mood.

As I looked at him, for one brief moment I forgot about Cancer.

It was a nice moment.

Carleen, Keith going to Summerfest is no small thing. That is terrific! I am so glad he went. He needs that "normal" time. His symptoms with chemo also are very normal, unfortunately. You are a great caregiver -- keep hanging in there with him. I can see a large love between you two, and that will carry you on. You are super to let him do these things with his friends. Blessings. Don

Dear Carlene & Keith,

So glad to hear your Summerfest story. It makes me smile to see that you're finally getting some "normalcy" in your life :) You certainly deserve that. I was on Cisplatin and etoposide during my chemo this time last year, and yes, it can wipe you out! But to be able to have a great day out is A BIG STEP FORWARD. hooray :)

Joanie

Carleen,

Your post made me feel good. Sometimes its not the big steps that are the best accomplishments but the little ones, and I'm glad that you took the time to post about Keith making it to Summerfest. That certainly is good news and it also was nice to hear you feeling better, in comparison to how you've been feeling lately.. that was good news too. I'm glad that, at least for a moment, things were okay for you. I wish you and your husband many more of those moments ahead.

Debi

Carleen,

I was so happy to read your post. Good news is always so wonderful and going out for a 7 hour afternoon is certainly good news and no small thing. Your right, we really need to appreciate those "cancer-free" moments. We need to try harder to have them and let it go once in a while. (Yeah, that would be easy, huh?) Yesterday morning I was giving myself a pep-talk in my head while I was making my toast. Something like: "Candy, you don't get up every morning and worry about how many more days you will live, it doesn't consume you even though you very well know that each day COULD be your last, why do you let it consume you with Hugh? Why can't you just appreciate today and let the rest of it go?" I wish I could say I got something out of that talk with myself but I didn't. I'll try to take my advice to myself better another time. Anyways, great news - I'm sure you and Keith will have many more great days to come. Remember the effects of chemo are just temporary - a necessary evil to get rid of the bad stuff. You guys can get through this to get to the other side!

Carleen-

What a nice gentle reminder that life is mostly about the small moments. It's wonderful that Keith was able to escape LC for a while and that you were able to recognize the importance of that. Your love for him shines through brilliantly in all your posts...what a blessing! Take care of yourself, too.

Hugs and warm fuzzies,

Carleen -

Funny thing is it probably took more out of YOU to let him go out without you, and worrying about him the whole time!

Your post brought a tear to my eye - over the beautiful love you share.

Hugs and prayers,

SandyS

Dear Carleen,

It took me awhile to figure out this "living with cancer" thing and this "power of positive thinking" thing. I see you've already figured all of this out. You've arrived!

I was so happy to see that Keith had a great day with his friends. And Carleen, you are really a role model of a wife. Your love for Keith shines through in every word.

Thinking of you,

Ada

Carleen,

That is such good news that Keith could attend and enjoy summerfest. I can only imagine how great it must of been for both of you. I shall pray for many, many more of these good days for both of you. If I could be as good a daughter as you are a wife I would be so proud of myself. You are an inspiration..thank you.

Carleen

That is great news about Keith! I have a couple of groups of very old and dear friends who make it a point to get me out of the house just for fun, lunch or dinner at a nice restaurant, at least twice a month. A lot of times I don't really feel like going but I know their heart is in the right place and they want to see me and get me out to have a good time so I always give in and go and after I do I feel so much better. We have some nice food, a glass of wine and a lot of laughs and good conversation. Unfortunately my LC has brought us a lot closer, they know how serious SCLC is and although they are always encouraging me by telling me to ignore the statistics I know they want to spend as much time with me as they can while I am still well enough to do so. I realize it is SO important to get out and get away and just be a normal person every once in a while and forget all about this cancer and chemo stuff. You are a very good wife to let him go off with his friends, he is a lucky man. My husband always encourages me to go, when I grouse and moan "I really don't feel like going" he always tells me "go, you'll feel better after you are out" and you know he is always right.

You are so right Carleen, its the little things that make us happy now. God bless you and Keith and may he have good results from this chemo

Bess B

Im glad you posted that in this forum. It is good news. It doesnt have to come in the form of a CT scan. His fun day is testimony enough. Im glad you posted in a few places today, I was wondering how you guys were doing. Thank you for your beautiful prayer for my father, I was so touched.

Hi Carleen,

Thank you so much for sharing your story. I love to read your posts anyway, but his one was especially inspiring and made me feel good. I don't know if I could have given him up for that long, you really are a lot stronger person than you even realize. I feel confident that things will continue to improve for Keith and you will see many more great days.

Jenny

Carleen,

I don't know why I missed this post until now but I am so glad I saw it. I had been wondering about you two. I am so glad Keith was able to do this with his friends. I would say he is handling this treatment VERY WELL!

Prayers for continued good days and blessings to you both,

Peg