Oncodoc, next step for small cell extensive?

LynneH

This is my first post here but I’m feeling a tad desperate and have learned so much from all of the other members and the incredible Oncodoc.

Oncodoc, as my husband’s profile states, he has small-cell, extensive. This year, he has endured the Carboplatin/VP16, Radiation with Taxol, and is now trying the Topotecan. (I have immense respect and trust for his oncologist, but he doesn't elaborate much.)

The doctor has indicated to me in private that he only has about one other drug up his sleeve to try after the Topotecan. We did not discuss which drug that might be. Based on my husband’s diagnosis, treatment to-date, and his responses, can you tell me what remaining protocol options you think would be worth trying?

Thank you in advance for your time,

LynneH

Thank you for the kind words and sorry for all that your father is going through. There are not as many active drugs for treatment of small cell cancer as there are for NSCLC. Your oncologist I'm assuming is referring to CAV which is an older combination of Cytoxan, Adriamycin and Vincristine. It can sometimes work when other drugs fail. Irinotecan would be a possibility but it is so similar to topotecan that I would not have much confidence in it. He has not had full dose taxol (the weekly taxol is given in low doses with radiation) and he has not had cisplatin so one could consider a combination of cisplatin with either taxol or taxotere. The other option I would explore if available would be enrollment in a clinical trial.

Sorry I'm not much help on this but glad to hear that he is responding to topotecan.

Dr Joe, wonderful information! You have offered several suggestions that I will broach delicately, if needed, after listening to my husband's oncologist's next game plan. At least I feel armed with information from a proven expert instead of relying on my Internet and book readings with unknown origins.

I am extremely grateful,

LynneH