questions about chemo response...

nandie

hello all. hope everyone is keeping warm with all the wintery weather out there lately. I got some good news from my mom yesterday, who is in the middle of her second go-round with chemo. the first was a weekly chemo + 5x a week radiation treatment. this time is chemo weekly.

mom's news is that she had a CT scan which shows that the chemo is working and that the tumor is turning translucent. she didn't have any more info than that and gets a bit testy with my when I ask more questions. I was wondering if anyone has any insight into what this "translucent" response is or means.

her second news is that her bloodwork count went from a score of 50 to a score of 4--and that was a positive move. can anyone explain how that one works as well?

sorry to be such a dodo, but I'd really like to know more about the context of the situation. any guidance you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

heehee...

I am poking my little noggin in...

I think your Mom might mean radiolucent. That is a radiology term. The opposite of radiolucent is radiopaque.

The "color" of Xrays on a film is black and white and shades of gray.

A lung cancer tumor could be described as radiopaque. Lung cancer tumors are dense. Least, mine were.

Tumors appear radiopaque or whiter.

The more radiolucent, the less density.

Tumors that are disappearing appear darker (blacker) or more radiolucent. Less dense.

Because they are disappearing, more waves pass through the object to form a darker appearance on the film.

So, if this is what she means, when she says translucent, then I would definitely say, good news.

(I think I have this right... )

Your other question, I haven't a clue. Someone else will be by to poke in and answer. 8)

Thanks,

Cindi o'h