Happy - Ha·nuk·kah or Ha·nu·kah or Cha·nu·kah

KatieB

It is spelled differently everywhere I look and I don't know why, (even dictonary.com has all 3 spellings) so I will include all three spellings and wish folks who have been celebrating Ha·nuk·kah or Ha·nu·kah or Cha·nu·kah a HAPPY HOLIDAY season too!

Many hugs,

Thanks, Katie. The message comes through however you spell it. Variations in spelling come from the fact that the English spelling is based on "transliteration" of the Hebrew alphabet - the CH or H is one letter in Hebrew, not two. THERE are two variations on the CH/H letter -- one heavily aspirated, the other not. But they both transliterate into the English CH/H sound, gargled or not. And of course, doubling the middle consonant is a matter of preference, I suppose. Just a little explanation for what seems like inconsistency.

Ellen

PS: Hope everyone had a great Chanukah/Hanukah...Christmas...Boxing Day...Kwanzaa and a wonderful and HEALTHY coming up New Year.