Officially NOT a statistic.

DeanCarl

Dean Carl, I always love it when you post - thanks so much!

If you are a statistic of any kind, you are THE ONE who is making the old stats be wrong, and that is a terrific thing! Just set 'em on their collective ears!

You are such a "tuned in" person -- so aware of the beauty around you and within you. Just think of the guilt you'll have if you quit posting to us and we have to go without reading your inspiring posts!

Good to hear from you, and I hope you continue to do well.

Di

Dean Carl-

Your post officially made my Christmas happier! : ) Yes, you and everyone else on this board are NOT statistics. My mom fought so hard not to be a statistic, and although she didn't make it, she refused to be defined that way. I know that she would cheer you and everyone else on in your continued perserverance...in life!

I enjoy reading your posts. Please continue to keep us informed of your thoughts and accomplishments.

Love,

Hope

Mom dx with sclc limited stage 0l/02

5 months chemo (carboplatin & etoposide), radiation, no pci

06/03 Recurrance found with follow up c/t, chemo (carboplatin & etoposide) began then stopped due to severe reaction

07/03 pet scan concurred ca in sternum

09/03 ct shows ca spread

09/03 Three 28-day cycles of cisplatinum & cpt-ll

12/03 some tumors responding, began 2 more 28 day cycles cisplatinum & cpt-ll

02/04 No growth, no reduction of tumors. Onc decided on a 4 week rest period to be followed by CT.

03/04 CT shows growth and additonal tumor in renal gland. Decided on l/2 dosage of cisplatinum and cpt-ll. Has severe reaction to chemo and has a seizure. Onc says we will now try Taxol or Gemzar.

04/04 Seizure was possibly caused by chemotherapeutic neurotoxicity. Onc is reconsidering future chemotherapy.

04/04 Hospitalized. Running tests to determine current staging.

05/04 Difficulty breathing, placed on home oxygen. Discusses administering chemo to relieve symptoms.

06/01/04 Began administration of Topotecan. Hospitalized 5 days for pnuemonia.

06/08/04 Second round of Topotecan. Tolerated well.

06/09/04 Became disoriented, extremely short of breath. Taken to ICU, placed on bi-pap machine.

06/l5/04 Received in Heaven, 5am.

Dear Dean,

I just have to share with you that I have a dear wonderful man in my LC Support Group here that was given 12 to 18 months to live after his dx.s. Well, he too has followed the Path Less Taken and has done no treatments. Well, I just want you to know that as of Dec 6 of 2004 he just celebrated his 80th birthday and he is a 26 month Lung Cancer Survivor. I wish you could meet him, because you two would have a lot to talk about. Your both full of wisdom.

Best wishes to you!

• 3 weeks later...
I hope my situation will not bring any more pain to the loved ones of those folks.

Dean--

I can only speak for Geoff and me--but your post brought us great joy.

Sure--life is unfair, his mom's absence is still so painful for those of us left who loved her (especially Geoff and his immediate family), and we don't understand so much... How, though, could we experience anything but happiness to hear that you are still doing well?

And I'm sure if Geoff's mom were able to type a response it would be something along the lines of "Good for you! You are NOT a mere statistic. NEVER feel guilty that you are still able to enjoy--consciously-- each and every day on Earth." She'd be one of your biggest cheerleaders, I'm sure (and that is saying something, given how much you are valued on this site, alone!).

As always, wishing you and Gay all the best.

Melinda