An invitation!

Lisa O

The new year is upon us and I am reminded that there are many ways to fight this beast, some of which may include living well, eating well, excercising, meditation...

I would like to ask or invite each and anyone of you to share any tips you have for helping to survive even on a day to day or moment by moment basis. I know we all have these tips or beliefs. Some of us avoid sugar or white flour. Some of us excercise everyday. Some of us take vitamins or antidepressants. Many of us find solace in nature and joy in family members and find that a new sense of purpose helps us to find strength to get through treatment or non-treatment.

I am asking that we each share any tips or methods that may help our friends on this board to find additional ways to garner strength to get through each day taking back a bit of the power that seems lost sometimes in this battle.

For example, I am going to renew my comittment to get rid of white sugar and flour so that I can take charge of one part of my daily battle that I can feel successful with each day. I will start a post with that title in Alternatiive and Complementary Medicine if anyone (Cargivers and Warriors alike) would like to join me on that particular tool.

I am also going to eat all colors of fruits and vegetables and drink a MODERATE amount of tea. I will count all of my MANY blessings each day and with that I will vow to remember the big picture when it is so easy to get caught up in the littlest of battles.

If any of you will please join me in the Alternative and Complementary medicine forum with any ideas on how YOU, the everyday caregivers/warriors, make little changes to your everyday lives to improve your odds, I think we could all benefit. Of course I would still like to see all of the topics including the major new breakthroughs but many of us don't visit the forum who could benefit from the little changes we all control on a daily basis. Let's all see if we can help eachother with any tips for an easier, smoother and hopefully a healthier 2005.

Great idea Lisa! Funny, even though we live in an area which is steeped in alternative medicine and lifestyles, Steve remains pretty traditional (except for the acupuncture which did help his face pain). He did hear somewhere that dark chocolate was a good antioxidant and that was right up his alley. He now talks about having to "take his medicine," and he's off to the candy section. If there was ever a trial for that one, he'd be first in line :roll:

Hey Lisa,

That’s a great thought for a post. I’ve got bunches of thoughts that I will start adding bit by bit. First and foremost, for me, I had to have the will and want to survive, sounds odd that one would have to find such an inherent thing, but,,,. My wife wanted me to hang around and initially that is what primed me for the fight, and also its what keeps me in the fight. I selfishly felt that dying would be the easy way out and I owe it to my wife and family to stay in the game as long as possible. it’s a powerful incentive, so bring it on. This gives me the power to discipline myself for the rest of it. So what ever I do, it all comes back to loved one. This is qualified with much and I do want to share up what has helped me though going at it slow is probably best.

I believe there is something to this sugar thing, though its hard for me to follow and understand all that’s involved, in any case I don't utilize much besides fruits and vegatables uncooked any longer.

Bo

Lisa,

I think your resolution is great. I had done such a good job of staying away from surgar. I dearly love choclate. I was so proud of myself this holiday season. My office was full of See's candies and other goodies, and I did not eat a single piece. I even stayed away from a huge can of Almond Rocha, one of my favorites. Then I went to my inlaws for Christmas and spent two days stuffing my face with fudge, cookies and other treats. I've spent the last two days beating myself up over it. I got so mad last night thinking that after everything else I've gone through I can't even enjoy a cookie. So I've resolved to not be so hard on myself and to continue to eat a diet full of fruits and vegitables and to stay away from sugar and white flour. However, when I do stray, I'm not going to feel guilty about it. Here's to a healthy 2005!

Kevin

I liked your post. I am curious to what the answers from folks will be.

My year, like many others has been very tough. Getting dx and getting tx. I am usually a tough gal, but this entire event brought me to my knees.

My depression has been up and down. My answer to all of this has been Fudgesicles and Chardonnay. I know its not as healthy an asnswer as no sugar or flour etc.... I wish I had the energy for self improvement. I don't at this time.

I have gained 10 lbs since tx started and that is a lot for me.

What I do hope is that I survive and can get back to a place where the biggest adventure I undertake will be a diet, maybe I will try South Beach as long as I can keep the fudgesicles and Chardonnay :D .

Jen

I love that we are getting responses.... especially during this quiet week!!

We all have our different tips and for everyone it wil not be diet! For some of us it is just as important to teach ourselves to learn to be kinder to ourselves and not beat ourselves up! (I have been doing that a bit lately too.)

Some of us wish to include more vegetables , some may want to increase their water intake and others may just want to take more time to appreciate nature or family...

Of course switching from light to dark chocolate, from white to red wine... all of those little changes may be on the list for some as well. :lol: No one said everyone will be in to giving up their favorites... especially during treatment! So some tips may help us feel better about which indulgences we do choose. :wink:

Thanks for sharing

Hey Folks,

Another thing I do that I think is helpful, is balance. It’s a hard one but one that has helped me stay on track with my fight. Whatever it is, if I get too one-sided, food, rest, exercise, anger, idleness, staying up late, sleeping late, computer time, anything, I tell myself I need to be moderate. I have one goal today and that is to work at feeling good tomorrow. I don’t need the demons creeping in while trying to fall asleep at midnight so I get up at 5, it works for me. My world is geared toward one thing, surviving, all else left on 4/13/04. A sunny day is better than a huge pasta dinner, OK its close.

Initially I went with a moderate amount of coffee, now I’m working at getting back to, a cup in the morning.

Bo

Speaking of caffeine, I've noticed that since I quit smoking and had surgery and all that, I've naturally cut back a lot on the coffee. Used to get up an hour earlier than I had to so that I could drink coffee and smoke cigarettes before getting ready for work. I also used to pop right out of bed looking forward to that nicotine/caffeine fix.

Now, it's a battle to get up in the morning, but I sure do feel better when I do get up.

Bo, good point...obsession is not good for any of us. Spend today trying to feel better tomorrow....I like that.

I had a big wake up call when I had a dietitian consult last year. He was talking about the cancer thing and recommending a vegan diet and all when he then said that I needed to be concerned because, at my age, heart disease is right around the corner! Yikes!

So, that started the weight, fitness, diet conversation, which I totally take to heart, but implementation has not been something that I've been inspired about till now.

I don't think the vegan diet is going to happen, but I think the limiting of sugars and white flour can happen fairly easily for me. I love fruits and vegetables, and I think lean protein and fish have a place in my diet.

There's also the water issue--I think drinking plenty of water goes a long way in neutralizing and ridding your body of toxins.

This will be at the forefront for me in 2005!

Cindy

Well Lisa...I can join in on the no sugar thing real easy as I am not a big sweet eater anyway. The flour is a little hard for me. I have been a vegetarian since I was 18 and pasta is my weakness.

Jen: How does this fudgesickle/Chardonnay thing work? Do you dip the ice cream in the wine? :D

I like Bo's attitude and back-to-basics strategy ( as stated here and on the alternative txs board ). Bo and my wife have many similarities in attitude as it pertains to health issues and battling cancer. A few months ago my wife took it upon herself to revise her diet. The shopping list is now dominated by fruits and vegetables. Lots of lettuce, oranges, apples, etc. I buy her some soy products also. She balances this with a small amount of candy and snacks. Very little red meat. Alot of chicken, fish and homemade soups and ramen. She says that the dietary changes have made her feel better. One big improvement that I have noticed since she changed her diet is that her battle with constipation is finally under control. Prior to the dietary changes she had a terrible time. The combination of Kytril - chemo - Vicodin ES with a " regular " diet caused her wicked constipation. Even caused her to be hospitalized on one ocassion. She still utilizes DSS and Senna ocassionally but there's been a big improvement. Weather permitting she does a short bask in the sun.

Lisa,

I wanted to comment that I LOVE your enthusiasm and am so thrilled that you have signed on to man the "Alternative" forum! You are off to a great start -- keep up the good work!! :lol:

Ry -- I also wanted to comment that you don't have to give up your pasta -- just switch to Whole Wheat Pasta -- "BioNaturae" makes the BEST whole wheat pasta I have found (I buy it at Whole Foods Market, but I know they also sell it in many "regular" food stores, just at a higher price) -- in fact, last night I made a whole wheat "penne pasta caesar salad" for dinner. YUMMY! :wink:

Just to see what the packaging looks like, here's a link:

https://secure.eyerstation.com/eintown/ ... egory=food

Thanks Hebbie! I do a great deal of shopping at whole foods too... although I am finding that so many stores are stocking the 100% whole grain products now. We have to be weary of the mixed products though. Some labels can be tricky. My daughter Leah actually prefers whole grain to white! Her friends eat whole grain at our house all the time now and don't really bat an eye. I think they enjoy the fact that I melt real unprocessed white cheddar cheese over the top. :D

I do find that when I am being more lax with my eating I feel crummy. It is a good incentive to put better fuel into my body. I still need help with the water issues though. :oops:

Thanks for the encouragement though Hebbie. I know you have been at this for a while so we will be looking for tips from you.

• 2 weeks later...

I am somewhat on the same track as you Lisa. When I first started reading about high sugar stuff, a lot of what I read indicated that high sugar fruits were not a good thing, ( in the realm of sugar feeds cancer and high glucose thoughts). I have commented on having high glucose a while back and to further that comment I started testing myself in the evening after I ate my fruits and veggies to see if my glucose spiked. I can eat two of the sugeriest cantaloupes along with a mango or two and can’t even find a bump in my blood sugar. That could very well be due to exercise, but,,, In addition, I have found that if I eat “normal” foods, bread, even wheat bread, or whole wheat pasta, for a day or two my glucose is up in the am for several days following, then when I eat only f/V after about three days the glucose numbers are back down.

There are so many factors that affect this kind of stuff that it is difficult to follow and trust.. But in the realm of controlling and working towards an end, its all good.

Bo

I am somewhat on the same track as you Lisa. When I first started reading about high sugar stuff, a lot of what I read indicated that high sugar fruits were not a good thing, ( in the realm of sugar feeds cancer and high glucose thoughts). I have commented on having high glucose a while back and to further that comment I started testing myself in the evening after I ate my fruits and veggies to see if my glucose spiked. I can eat two of the sugeriest cantaloupes along with a mango or two and can’t even find a bump in my blood sugar. That could very well be due to exercise, but,,, In addition, I have found that if I eat “normal” foods, bread, even wheat bread, or whole wheat pasta, for a day or two my glucose is up in the am for several days following, then when I eat only f/V after about three days the glucose numbers are back down.

There are so many factors that affect this kind of stuff that it is difficult to follow and trust.. But in the realm of controlling and working towards an end, its all good.

Bo

////////////////////////

Public Release: 11-Jan-2005

JAMA

High sugar levels increase cancer and mortality risk

According to researchers from Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health and Yonsei University in Seoul, Korea, elevated blood sugar levels and diabetes are risk factors for developing severa types of cancer and mortality.

NIH/National Cancer Institute

paffairs@jhsph.edu

410-955-6878

Johns Hopkins University Bloomberg School of Public Health

Public Release: 11-Jan-2005

JAMA

Elevated glucose levels and diabetes are associated with increased risk for cancer

New research involving more than one million people indicates that having high fasting serum glucose levels and diabetes are risk factors for several major cancers, according to a study in the January 12 issue of JAMA.

410-955-7619

JAMA and Archives Journals Website