Please think good thoughts

Andrea

I hope no one gets mad at me for asking for good thoughts for this.........I have a painless ulcer in my mouth that is a little suspicious for over 2 weeks, the dentist was watching it, and still not healed so she is seeing me at 1pm today and then oral surgeon at 2pm to possibly biopsy. I of course am scared, I read all about oral cancer, I never knew about it before.

Thanks.

Andrea, if anyone gets mad at you for posting this, I'll be mad at THEM! :shock: I do hope and pray that you find out what this is, and that it's nothing serious whatsoever. I'm very glad you're getting it checked out, and hope you get results very soon and can stop worrying about this. Please let us know as soon as you have some news!

BeckyCW

Andrea,

Good you have a dentist that is following up.

Oral cancer is RARE, but aggressive.

In a private practice, a dentist will have diagnosed on the average of one oral cancer in his/her lifetime. They routinely screeen for oral cancer and will almost always refer to the oral surgeon something that looks "funny". If you are like most individuals, this will turn out to be nothing...or something that reads on the pathology report..."just some funny lookin' cells."

Keep us posted.

Cindi o'h

Good Lord, Andrea! I'm sure it's not oral cancer....for you, not being able to talk would be unbearable! :wink:

But seriously, I hope it's just a nasty canker sore with some easy explanation for the ongoing irritation (like too much salt or dietary change).

As if you don't have enough on your mind....

Hang in there! May you be fixed all over and good as new (and better) soon!

Well I saw 2 oral surgeons today and my dentist who sent me to the oral surgeon b/c she was not sure what it is.

The consensus is that it is a traumatic ulcer, but not sure how it got there. Both doctors suggested waiting two weeks before they biopsy it, they think I may have made it worse by "playing with it" each day. The doctors doubt it is cancer since it is so rare and I dont smoke or drink.

I explained that after my dentist told me to watch it, I spent all weekend reading up on it and the fact that it is painless and not going away is troublesome. They both told me how dangerous the internet can be.

I really liked one of the surgeons and he said that he does 100 biopsies a year and has only seen 6 cases of oral cancer and he strongly believes I am ok or he would biopsy me today. So I will wait out the two weeks for the recheck and then move on from there. If it is not yet healed, then they will do the biopsy then.

Thanks for the good thoughts!!!!

Andrea

Glad the oral surgeon didnt think too much of the ulcer, but like you said if its still there in 2 weeks, they WILL biopsy it!!!. I have become obsessed with everything about my body since mom's dx. I have or should have at least 10 different diseases im sure. Plus there is no reason NOT to be overly cautious, we have seen first hand what can and will happen, sometimes just overnight.

Hang in there, and I will pray that this next 2 weeks pass quickly for you and there will be nothing there for them to biopsy!

Kim