Boyfriend of 5 years has NSCLC Poorly Differentiated

I found this site a couple of weeks ago. I've read alot of useful information. I just seem to never have the time to be online. I decided to check it out again today. I know Cancer is the scariest word I've ever heard in my life! I always knew it was an ugly word but you never know how ugly until it hits someone you love!!

My significant other did have surgery 2 1/2 weeks after they found his lc. They removed his upper right lobe, and no treatment was recommended at this time. They found a 4mm spot on his liver too, but plan to just watch it. They said if it showed growth on his next scheduled cat scan then they would check into it futher. Since this time he has a developed a new fever and night and days sweats. This being his only symptom when he first got sick. Thats how they found his cancer. Since surgery May 20, 2003 his fever and sweats had totally gone away up until 8 days ago and they have returned. This sending both of us into a panic. His family doctor being the only one that would listen to us has ordered for him to have a pet scan. He says this will show any active tumor in his body.Does anyone else know anything about this test and what excatly will it show?? He has been told that this is a very aggressive cancer. Does anyone know why they say this? Is it because of the size of the tumor 4.5 cm or is it because it was poorly differentiated? Has anyone else had fever with Lung Cancer????

Sorry to hear about you friend. The PET scan is similar to a CT scan instead you have a radiographic dye that has glucose in it. Cancer cells for some reason love the sugar and it goes to those areas and lights up if the cells are living. I had one 1 1/2 yrs ago and showed some of the cancer as scar tissue.

As for the fevers, I don't know why but I have run one off and on for several months. I have been on antibiotics but it just continues. Never real high tho.

The less differentiated the more aggressive. Undifferentiated is the worse I *think*. Also they could tell you the cell division rate (mitotic rate). It might be good to look into clinical trials and at least make sure the diet is very good and increase exercise.

Also Dr Weil recommends astragalus and reishi/maitake/shitake mushrooms. There are other alternative herbs etc. Just make sure to double/triple check them out.

Hi,

When Chris went into the hospital to get his lungs drained he was running a very high fever afterwards. The surgeon said that that it was most likely due to his tumors. He had also been running a fever off and on for a few months before he finally saw a doctor about his cough.

All I can say is thank God for your family doctor. A PET scan should be done to find out what the spot is on the liver. If you read throught some of the posts you will find one (from John I think, but not positive) stating the new research reccomends chemo after surgery to make sure they get all the cancer. Hope all is well.

Welcome Rinksgal,

Not much to add, but I wanted to say that I'm glad you joined us, but sorry you have a need to. LC is the scariest thing I can even imagine having to experience, and way to hard to go through alone.

This site is wonderful in that everyone here understands just about any situation or emotion you are going through, because chances are someone else has been there too. There is so much useful information, support and love. I understand how hard it is to get online, but when you do, it is always worth it to stop in. It always makes me feel better, no matter what and when to be surrounded with this loving family.

Also wanted to say that a PET scan is a MUST do in my books. In our case, we had x-rays, CT scans, a biopsy all which gave us some pretty subjective and questionable information. The PET scan clarified what Keith's case was. Gave us definite answers as to what and where the cancer was. Along with a PET scan, also get a bone scan and an MRI as the bones and brain are not usually something the CT or PET scans can pick up well.

Keeping you in my prayers

Carleen

HI RINKSGAL,

MY HUSBAND HAD THE PET AND IT SHOWED THE ONE TUMOR IN HIS LEFT LOBE BUT IT DID NOT SHOW THE SECOND ONE. WHEN THEY OPERATED IS WHEN THE SECOND ONE WAS FOUND.

ONE MUST BE ONE STEP AHEAD OF THE DRS BECAUSE SOME OF THEM ARE NOT AGRESSIVE ENOUGH. UNTIL MY HUSBAND HAD TROUBLE WITH HIS LEG GIVING OUT AND CONSTANT PAIN IN HIS RIB AREA DID THE DR ORDER SCANS OF THOSE AREAS AND METS WERE FOUND IN BOTH.

Noone finds a family member as important as another family member. Doctors are just performing a job and with any job you have superior performers and those that just get by.

I would change doctors if they are not doing enough!!!!!!! We have found since all this started, good doctors and bad doctors and what I mean by bad doctors are the ones that never seem to get excited, and never want to over examine but choose to under examine.

Thank goodness for the Family Doctor!

I just want to thank everyone for their support. We went back to his family doctor today to just to talk to him about some things. He did some more blood work just to make sure that the fever now going on 10 days plus wasn't from any infection anywhere. Even though he has no symptoms of anything else wrong. The doctor did prescribe him prozac for his depression. I suggested this last night to him. Ever since the fever started back up all he does is lay and sleep. I could tell he was down, but I was actually shocked when he talked to the doctor about it, I think sometimes its hard for men to admit they need something, but they are no different than anyone else especially when something like lc hits your life.

Does anyone know anything about bio-markers? I've read in several different places that this can be helpful in finding cancer if it returns. His family doctor said its not used with lc, but more with other cancers.

Another thing my heart goes out to everyone on this site!! I've cried reading some of the other post. I will say a prayer for all of you. I know this is the scariest thing I've ever been through in my life, and at times the stress I feel inside is almost unbearable!! Its hard to imagine that we will ever be worry free again.

We went to 2 oncologist and one did give him the option of chemo, but really advised against it at this time. He said the side effects from chemo would make him really sick and told us of these horrible side effects, and with it only increasing his odds by 5% he didn't advise it at this time, but left it up to us to make the final decision. My Boyfriend at the time felt 5% wasn't worth it, I had some doubt but didn't really voice my opinion to him. I feel some things has to be his choice, but with the fever returning now he's thinking about it. To me 5% is 5%. and I want every percent increase we can get! Could anyone share their opinion on this new study?

Hi friend,

So sorry you find the need to come to this board but glad you have found it. We too have had some doctors who are very aggressive with treatment and others who seem to wait alot. My husband's cancer is NSCLS adenocarcinoma and poorly differentiated too. He is on chemo now and sleeps alot of the time. We begin more radiation next week. They are just planning to radiate the pelvis and vertebrae where the mets are but finally agreed to do another bone scan when I insisted something be done about his leg pain. Originally they said the leg pain was PROBABLY nothing and weren't going to treat it. My point is - we DO have to be aggressive as a caregiver or things slip by.

Get another opinion if you are uncomfortable about not having chemo. My prayers are with you.

Peg

I know that the side effects from chemo are awful. I also know that a recent large study done by the Association of Clinical Oncologists now shows that chemo after surgery in early stage lung cancer increases disease free intervals and increases survival rates. Just my two cents...

Fay A.