Any help for depression?

walzja

My mom has NSCLC and has slipped into a depression. She is on anti-depressants, but they are not helping. It seems to be something that she just can't overcome. She is losing all hope and I know that a positive thought process throughout the battle with cancer is possibly something that can help you overcome it. I just want her to be as positive as possible. I know she has been through SO much and I don't want to appear insensitive, but I want to push her back into a positive thought process. Does anyone have any suggestions? I am willing to try anything at this point. Jackie

pills alone wont' help her. she needs support from people in the same fight. Is there a cancer support group she can get into. call you ACS and see if there are any support groups. if not call ALLCASE and get her a phone buddy who has already been there and done that as far as her treatment goes. It will help her to know she can beat this from someone who has and is beating it.

Jackie, I agree with Shelly. Try The Wellness Community also, there free and all over the country. They also offer support for caregivers etc. Helps to see and talk to others who are going thru the samething. Would be glad to talk to you or your mom also. PM me anytime. Glad to help anyway I can. Rich

http://www.thewellnesscommunity.org/pro ... /guide.asp (The Wellness Community / National Cancer Support, Education And Support / Free)

Jackie~

I am sorry to hear your mom has the blues. Some medications take awhile to work up to the therapeutic blood level. If its been a few weeks and you don't think it is helping get her switched to another one. It also helps to just get her out and moving, doing normal things. Hard to sink too far into a funk when you are getting up and about every day.

I wish you all the best.

Rochelle

Dear Jackie,

Sorry you have the need to find us, but I'm glad you did. I'm sorry to hear your mom isn't doing well.

As all of us here at LCSC know, cancer and depression go hand and hand.

I agree with Ry, that you need to get her up and around and try and keep her mind busy. Anti-depressants are great, but they need an extra boost from positive friends and family. Does your mom work, or does she have hobbies, does she live alone? ALCASE has a wonderful phone buddy program that is free. Just go to www.ALCASE.org or call them toll free at 1-800-298-2436. Does your mother have access to the Internet? Could she join us here at LCSC? Maybe you could print of some of the Stories here on LCSC of other members and share them with her.

Also, some anti-depressants can take as long as 8 weeks before they really kick in. How long has your mom been on her meds. Has she done any chemo or radiation treatments? I'm sorry to have to ask you all these questions, but it is very helpful to all of us to have as much info. as possible to help you out in this situation.

I hope you'll stay with us, and find some comfort here and education.

Good Luck,

Connie