Why BeckyCW is here

Postscript - I'm not removing my original 7/2005 post, but at last I'm updating: My little brother David left this world for the next on June 15, 2005. Apparently, Gabriel couldn't wait any longer for another great trumpet player (with a great sense of humor) to join the horn section in heaven. I miss him every day and I thank God that He gave us 40 years with him. Dave, you always did good.

Becky

Hi, my name is BeckyCW and I’m here because of my brother DavidC. While I think the world of all of you here, I would have preferred that he hadn’t given us reason to meet!

One day in March 2003, I was home, packing to attend a meeting of the Children’s Oncology Group in Atlanta, when my sister called from Virginia to tell me David was in the hospital, and the doctors thought he had lung cancer.

At the conference the next evening I was in the computer room researching lung cancer on the internet with tears rolling down my face, when a nurse friend took me aside, listened, and made me feel hope. Then a parent of a childhood cancer survivor led me to the Stephen Jaye Gould article about statistics, which made me understand intellectually that there is indeed hope. (http://cancerguide.org/median_not_msg.html ) Several oncologists also reminded me the statistics are based on treatments that are at least 5 years old, and while research isn’t as fast we’d like, they are learning more all the time.

While I was in Atlanta, David’s diagnosis was confirmed (small cell lung cancer), so instead of flying home that weekend, I flew to Virginia. David had already started chemo, but was home and in good spirits. He’s always had a great outlook on life, and lung cancer wasn’t going to stop him. (It never will. He’s much stronger than it is!)

A few months later, his scans showed NED – no evidence of disease. That was one of the roughest days of my entire career, but I practically laughed through it – David was NED, what else could really matter? (Cancer really puts things into perspective, huh?)

Our parents came and lived at David’s house in their RV for about 7 months, to help out during treatment. He and Karen live in a beautiful place in the country, but there’s a lot to maintain, and they also had a 1 ½ year old – the best little girl ever to come out of China, who they’d brought home just 6 months before his diagnosis. You can usually see her smiling face on DavidC’s avatar – not that I’m crazy about her, or anything! I’ve tried to visit every 2 or 3 months; David thinks I’m coming to see him. (Silly, really!) :wink:

By October, David’s treatment was finished and he & Karen & Faith began to get back to a normal life. In January of 2004, Karen called to ask me to post a message on LCSC about David; she had taken him to the emergency room, and they wanted to let everyone know he was fine, that it wasn’t cancer coming back. That was my first post to the message boards, although I had read a little here and there.

David told me I should get involved with LCSC, myself. I had thought it was mostly for patients and their immediate families who would want this to be their own private space. He disavowed me of that notion and asked me to see if I would offer my help to this new nonprofit organization. I contacted Rick & Katie to volunteer, and soon found myself on the board, where I am proud to serve.

I’ve spent my whole career (over 25 years) working for nonprofit organizations, doing fundraising and communications. I’ve worked for several programs for abused children, was director of membership for the Natural History Museum of LA County, worked (twice!) for the John Wayne Cancer Foundation, and spent the last 7 years as director of development for the National Childhood Cancer Foundation (now called CureSearch). In June 2004, I “retired” to start a consulting practice, a long-time dream. My work with LCSC is, and always will be, strictly as a volunteer and board member. (I’m not independently wealthy, so fortunately I have other paying clients. 8) )

After a year of major changes (and major burn-out recovery), I’m gearing up to make 2005 a successful one for raising the funds LCSC needs to keep providing the best possible support to lung cancer patients and caregivers. I may be posting fewer messages, but will be working more behind-the-scenes, where I can be of better use.

I’m so impressed by what Katie and Rick have done here, committing so much more of their own finances, time, energy and expertise than anyone probably can imagine. I’m not sure when they sleep, really. I’m older and need my sleep – but I’ll be doing the best I can. Anyone who would like to volunteer to help with fundraising (or friend-raising!), please don’t hesitate to contact me. There’s something almost everyone can do to help.

In July 2004, David began fighting cancer again, this time a met to his sinus cavity, of all places. What can I say? He’s never been ordinary in the least. (Anyone remember the “David in Drag” fundraising escapade?) :lol: Treatment will be done in mid-January 2005, and it looks like the tumor is gone, thank God! This battle has been tough, but again, he’s tougher, and he is winning, of course.

Our parents have been there helping out again for about 4 months, and will soon be taking their RV to a warmer clime. David & Karen are looking for a house closer to town, and we’re all looking forward to a healthy and happy New Year. I wish the same for everyone here.