BAM-002

natalie

I thought this sounded promising. Warning, if you don't want to know existing statistics, please do not read this...

Program in Non-Small Cell Lung Cancer

According to the American Cancer Society, lung cancer is the leading cause of cancer death among men and women. During 2001, it is estimated that more than 170,000 new cases of lung cancer have been diagnosed. In addition, lung cancer will account for 14 percent of all new cancers. While the one-year survival rate for lung cancer has increased in recent years to about 41 percent, the average five-year survival for all lung cancer combined is only 14 percent (and less than five percent for late-stage). NSCLC accounts for about 80 percent of all lung cancers.

Current approaches to treating NSCLC include surgery, radiation therapy and chemotherapy. While cisplatin-based chemotherapy may provide short-term relief, this treatment provides only a small survival advantage, according to the National Cancer Institute's (NCI) CancerNet. The NCI also suggests that, due to the lack of satisfactory treatment outcomes for all but a subset of patients, eligible patients should be considered for clinical trials. Clearly, new treatments for this disease are needed.

A controlled clinical trial undertaken in Russia indicated a superior survival advantage compared to standard chemotherapy. 63 percent of patients receiving BAM-002 and chemotherapy survived for more than one year, compared to only 17 percent of patients receiving chemotherapy alone. Data from this study indicate that the addition of BAM-002 to standard chemotherapy regimens resulted in increased tolerance of the chemotherapeutic agent. Importantly, patients receiving BAM-002 had a faster time to normalization of immunological and hematological parameters, a key factor in mediating the side effects associated with chemotherapy. This prevents treatment-related complications and allows the patients to receive additional courses of chemotherapy.

Enrollment has been completed for a US Phase I/II clinical study in NSCLC.

Natalie,

You were right, don't read if you don't want to know the statistics.

I know the statistics, but I sank into a depression.

I am a Stage IV Adenocarcinoma nsclc and I know these are just

statistics. I've had chemo and my right lung removed 1/02.

I've been in remission since August, 02 and other than getting short

of breath and getting tired, I feel great. I'm glad new treatments are

being tried all the time. We must be optomistyic. Each person is

different and no one but God knows when we will leave. Think

positive.

Marsha

dx 12/01 Stage 11 Adenocacinoma nsclc. 1/02 right lung removed,

4/02 cancer spread to lymph nodes, restaged IV- Started chemo

in May/02 and ended in August,02- been in remission since and glad of it

Oh Marsha! I'm so sorry! The last thing I want to do is depress anyone! :cry: I tried to put the trial there as a positive thing! I hate reading statistics too and try to avoid knowing them at all costs, but that's the highest statistics I've seen so far in a trial and was happy to hear that its being researched, so I thought it was a good thing! It's in its first phases and that's good news to know that they are having good results! I never meant to depress anyone and therefore put the disclaimer there in the beginning of my post. I think statistics are hogwash too, but they give me an indication of how well a trial might be doing...so that's when I pay attention. Please know that I'm positive and believe they are close to finding a cure. Knowing that you are in remission is wonderful!!! Congratulations! That's better news than this darn trial!

Hi Natalie,

I know you didn't mean to get anyone depressed. It's great that they

are doingv these clinical trials. Thanks for your good wishes. I hope

your mom has the same. That is the combo of chemo I had taxol/carboplatin. It did wonders for me and I hope it will do the same

for your mom. I quit smoking 14 years prior to the diagnosis.

I'm going to keep a real positive attitude going. All doctors will tell

you the same thing that is most important in fighting this awful thing.

There was a time when there was a spot on your liver, which was a death

sentence and now I see people being completely cured of it. We all need

each other on this board. It's the best resource I have found and

encouragement.

:lol: Marsha

Guest pepperpike

Thanks for the info Marsha. I don't believe I am a statistic, but facts are facts. I chose to believe that I must live each day to its fullest and God willing, I'll be one of those outside the bell curve. I want to be an Exceptional Cancer Patient and beat this thing. It is good to know that successful trials are in the pipeline and the medical community is working hard on this disease. I just wish more awareness and responsibility would be taken to reduce/eliminate the root cause of 85% of the occurance of this disease...smoking. If 85% of lung cancers were eliminated, just think of the resources that would be available to find a cure for the remaining 15%.