My Husband is in the hospital...again. :o(

MichelleZP

Hi all,

Well I took my husband to the ER at 12:30 am for severe abdominal pain and after his blood work came back they said they had to admit him as his pancreatic enzymes were off. The amylase (carbohydrate digesting) was fine but the lipase (fat digesting) was WAY HIGH. He was Dx w/pancreitis. His oncologist feels this is not from the cancer, but rather, all gastric in nature so his gasro doctor ordered a CAT scan and when he reads the results we will know how to proceed. It might be from his PEG (feeding tube), as he did have an infection in that area...so we are unsure at this point if the PEG will have to come out and be placed elsewhere or what. :shock: My husband still cannot have a thing by mouth due to his dysphagia...so he NEEDS a way to eat!! I am very worried. :(

My husband seems scared, yet strong - and unsure. I am confused as all heck. He was just released a few weeks ago after a 1.5 week stay at the hospital. WE JUST SAW his oncologist the day he was admited and he got a good report, considering the circumstances.

Has anyone else ever been through anything like this w/the pancreatic enzymes being elevated? If so, what does this mean - and what is the treatment? I read it is NOTHING TO FOOL WITH.

Please keep my husband in your prayers.

Thank You.

So sorry to hear about your husband!!!

Can't help you with any information Just want to know that you will be in my thoughts & prayers!! Hope he will be on the mend quickly!!!

(((((Hugs))))))

Estelle

Thank you all for the prayers! I am a firm believer in the power of prayer. I go to all the message boards I belong to and ask for prayers for Bob and I really feel that it has helped him a lot.

Things are going well, considering the circumstances. Bob looked wonderful today - he has good color, his spirits are way up, he was joking around and playing tricks on us all, and he is starving - having that appetite is a good sign.

The gastro doctor saw him last night at 9:00 pm. It turns out Bob's PEG (feeding tube in his belly) was twisted and kinked. So, the doctor fixed that immediately (he should have, after all, he was the one who inserted it and made it too tight ), and Bob said it was INSTANT relief! Bob has not even wanted any morphine or even a milder pain med since the doctor fixed his PEG. I am so happy he is not in pain anymore!!!!! :D

Bob's CAT scan was fine - no spread of his cancer to his pancreas. He does have pancreatitis and he is on IV antibiotics and a pancreas rest. The poor man has not had anything in his stomach for a few days now. He is starving. The doctor said maybe tomorrow he can try a tube feeding and see how it goes.

That is all I know today. I am exhausted. I have barely slept during this as I was just extra worried this time. I have the new puppy now and I am training him and holding down the fort here, and WHEW - I could use 24 hours of straight sleep.

Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much for the prayers, it is MUCH appreciated.