Intro. and a word of thanks

Guest dadson

Guest dadson

I'll first introduce myself... My name is Mike, my father was diagnosed with extensive SCLC. I want to thank each and everyone of you for posting. This is my first time even viewing this forum and I have already developed a little hope that my father can survive this ordeal. My faith in God has helped tremendously but when I read that others have survived I feel all warm and fuzzy inside. One can only pray that we can find a cure.... thank you

Hi Mike and WELCOME!

I'm glad you found this site. You will find many people here that will help you get through the bad times and laugh with you during the good times.

We'd like to know more about your dad's diagnosis. You can create a profile at the end of your post (look at mine & Ry's for an example). If you need help in doing this, send me a PM (at the bottom of my post, click on PM) and I'll be happy to help you do that and give you some tips on how to use the site.

Once again, WELCOME!

God bless you,

Peggy

Guest dadson

I'd love to give more info on his past experience with Chemo and radiation but he's had so much chemo I couldn't even begin to count. He's had I believe 4 radiation treatments to the brain. What I don't understand is that he seems to be going deaf. I live across the street from my parents and sometimes I can hear the TV in my house (not really) He's only 63 years young and has never had any hearing problems that I'm aware. He has the TV almost full volume when I go over there.....Just wonder if that's part of the cancer or what?? He was diagnosed with SCLC on 05/07/2003 (my wifes 32 birthday) during a routine visit to have his pace maker checked. He smoked and drank beer (alcoholic) til he had a heart attack in sept. of 98 which left him with some brain damage from the lack of oxygen to the brain (he was dead for 6 min.) He has a tremendous amount of long term memory just doesn't have short term. I'm really having a hard time knowing what to point out as the effects of the treatment or his ordeal with the stroke.

I'll have to say one thing about my fathers ordeal with Cancer, it sure has increased my faith in God.

The only effect I see in him visually is that he is really weak. His last treatment was a little over three weeks ago and he starts another round this tuesday. He says that he feels good but has to get up really slowly or he'll fall. He's fallen quite a few times in the past. Guess Chemo makes him a little light headed....It really tears me to pieces to see him like this. He was a man's, man, always strong, intellegent and very strong willed.... He has humbled himself alot since all this... He even got saved, I just hope he understood what he did cause I know he probably has already forgot.... Anyway thanks for my blabbering....

Mike

Thanks for the info, Mike. I'm so glad to hear that your dad was saved. It doesn't matter if he doesn't remember, God will.

Sounds like your dad has been fighting a very tough battle. You're a good son to care so much about him.

I think Cisplatin is one of the drugs that can cause hearing loss, and I also think that Cisplatin is given for SCLC. I'm say "I think" because I'm only relying on my very unreliable memory. My husband has NSCLC, but I do know that one of the chemo drugs can cause hearing loss. What I don't know is if it is permanent or temporary.

Someone will hopefully come on here and answer that for you. Also, you can post your question on Ask the Experts, and hopefully some time next week, you will get an answer. Another thing, is there is an SCLC forum where you can read through and find lots of info about SCLC. Just go to the Home page, scroll down to the SCLC forum, and select that forum.

Lots of love and prayers, Mike.

Peggy

My mom is on cisplatin (actually just finished her last cycle on New Years eve). One of the questions she keeps getting asked is about hearing loss, so you might want to mention this to your dads' doctors. I seem to recall reading that it was one of the potential side effects as well.

Also, you might want to mention about his lightheadedness. It could be that he's a little low in a few vital blood components. My mom passed out one day and after a few blood tests, we found out that she was anemic. Nothing a blood transfusion didn't fix.

Hoping this helps.

Mike, it is normal for the cancer patient to be tired while under treatment, espeically if he has undergone radiation and chemo at the same time. My wife is continually tired, having finished one chemo and now on radiation. The tiredness can continue for weeks after the treatments are complete.

Also be aware that he could become dehydrated if he is under treatment and not getting enough daily liquid intake. This could be a reason for dizzyness.

Best to you. Don

Hi MIke,

I just want to welcome you to this group. I personally don't know much about SCLC, but you will see that there is a forum here that is just for that kind of cancer. You should be able to get a lot of useful information from there. Whether it be NSCLC or SCLC, we all have the same emotional burden to bear. People here are so very kind and compassionate. I hope that you will find comfort in knowing you aren't alone in this battle . Sending prayers for you, your Dad and your family.

sue

Hi Mike. Welcome. Glad to hear your faith has helped you deal with this disease your Dad has. Remember your prayers will help your Dad . Double blind studies have been done that people who are prayed for do better, even if they do not even know they have been prayed for. Now keep us posted on how things are going. Donna G