I am at a loss for words

-Cheryl-

Cheryl,

my mom had 6 large and 2 small brain mets. WBR got them ALL. not one survived. she did not die from them. She beat all of them with 15 wbr treatments.

You CAN and WILL get rid of them. Fear you will always have, but rally your courage and strength too because they kick fears *ss any day of the week.

Cheryl,

I don't have brain mets, but I have had panic attacks from fear. Not

sleeping is no good. Try to get meds. Will pray for you to get some sleep

and peace. Take care!

Cheryl, hang in there kiddo. Listen to what these others have told you -- this too shall pass. Get some help -- you CAN do whatever it takes. I have faith in you.

(Cindi & Peggy -- I had the sweetest aunt ever. I loved her to pieces. But she was always a little ditzy. As she got older, her daughter told us they were afraid she was suffering from Alzheimer's, and we all said in unison -- "How could they tell?" LOL!! :lol: No, Alzheimer's isn't funny, but to get through it, you have to laugh sometimes. I was fortunate to share what turned out to be one of her last Christmases with her, and loved every minute of it.)

Di

I read your post this morning and can't get you off of my mind. First of all let me say that I know nothing about brain mets except what I have read on this site and others about how effective treatment can be. I will leave others to address that issue.

There is one thing that I did learn a lot about and that is Panic and Anxiety attacks. Most I learned by trial and error and there is a lot that I wish I had learned sooner. Because of that I think I may be able to help you a little. First of all let me say that not only can those attacks be very frightening and dibilitating but they can interfer with treatment. I am not much on medication. I believe it should be used only when a situation becomes threatening. I know that you need medication now for anxiety. They can help but they take time to build in your system before they can do much good. So I will say to Jack call her doctor now. Ask for anti anxiety medication. If they stall use that forcefullness that you have and don't let up until she has something. Call every hour if you have to, just get it done.

Medication to help with sleep can be good and bad. If it helps you relax and get the rest you need it is good. If it causes you to sleep too hard it will make you wake up feeling even more vulnerable and increase the panic attacks. Jack while an attack is in progress there is not much you can do but be there. Don't try to touch her or don't get upset if she doesn't seem to hear you. Just be there so when she asks for something you can get it. A panic attack will make you feel short of breath and that leads to hyperventilating. When that happens the blood gases get out of balance and shortness of breath becomes an even bigger issue. If you are on oxygen turning it up can often make the inbalance worse. Try to get by without that if you can.

There are some ways to help avoid those attacks or at least make them less severe. You will find that certain things can trigger the attacks. Your first impulse will be to avoid those things. That can be a mistake. If you avoid the triggers they become a bigger issue and just thinking about them can trigger an attack. Soon you will not be able to do the things that trigger the attack at all and then something else willl take over as a trigger. The best thing to do is work on those triggers before the attack is full blown.

One of the most frightening aspects of a panic or anxiety attack is the feeling of being out of control. You have to program your mind to know that you are in control. That is where Jack comes in. I'm sure that you have been taught purssed lip breathing by now. When you feel that an attack may be comming start practicing the pursed lip breathing. Try to do it as slowly as possible. While she is doing that Jack breathe with her and tell her that she is in control. Continue this as long as it takes to settle down. Another thing that you can do when a trigger situation comes up is talk to her about other things. Get her mind off of what is happening in any way that you can. Often you will find that you are through with what would triggers an attack before it gets a chance to do it.

Another thing is meditation. Try to picture yourself doing the things that bring on an attack without having one. Your main goal is to relax. Often just the thought of a panic attack can trigger one or an anxiety attack. You will soon learn the difference. Panic attacks don't come as often and can be very frightening but it is the anxiety attacks that do the most harm. They are also the ones that you can work on to avoid. A panic attack comes on quickly with no warning. An anxiety attack builds slowly. If you can control the anxiety attacks you have a better chance of avoiding the panic attacks but no matter what you need medication to help.

Johnny and I got caught in a vicious circle of both panic and anxiety attacks. The fear of one would trigger the other. This is nothing to play around with. Get help now and do what ever you can do to make the situation better. Yes you have a disease that affects your breathing. Being short of breath is one of the most frightening things anyone can experience. When it happens and you have been told that the disease can kill you it becomes much worse. Just realize that right now at this minute you are NOT going to stop breathing. You can control your breathing and not only make it easier to breathe but avoid some of those attacks that are causing such havoc in your life. It will not be easy but I know that you can do it. I learned but I learned too late and I put too much faith in others instead of myself and Johnny. Right now concentrate on those attacks and let the doctors work on the mets and the cancer. At this minute the most important thing to you is ending those attacks.

I am no expert and I don't want to mislead you but I learned a lot because I had to deal with those attacks alone with no help from anyone. You have Jack and he is determined to help you and he has the personality to be as forcefull as is needed to get the help that you need. I only wish that I had.

Best of luck to you and please if there is anything that I might add that will help you in any way let me know. You will both continue to be in my thoughts and prayers. Lillian