Surgery tomorrow

kdaru

Dad goes for surgery tomorrow - got cleared from both the pulmonary and cardiac standpoints. A second path opinion from MD Anderson confirmed poorly differentiated NSCLC.

Since the main uncertainty right now is his staging the surgery tomorrow is going to involve mediastinoscopy. If that's negative they'll do a wedge resection of one of the questionable lung lesions to see if it's cancerous or not. If all is negative, they'll cut out his entire right upper lobe, the one which has the definite cancer in it.

So we're hoping all is negative, and that he gets the lobectomy, although that would paradoxically mean a longer and more complicated surgery. Tough for an 82 year old guy. The surgeon gave us 50/50 odds for having a potentially curable cancer, which is doctor-speak for "I have no idea so I'll split the difference". Funny, I almost don't want the surgery: this way we have hope; after the surgery there will be no doubt, one way or the other.

So any prayers and good wishes you can spare for my Dad will be appreciated.