Go straight to the source!

mamasbabygirl

For anyone taking iressa, I would like to know how it has helped you (did it reduce tumor size or help with pain), why your Dr. found it suitable for you, and what other options were given to you. I am trying to open my mom's Oncologist's eyes to some other options available to her. She is only 50, in very good health overall, but has been given "6-12 months" of palliative care, including WBR for 10 days. This is not settling well with us and I am looking online for clinical trials, but plan to ask for his help today when we meet with him. I just read that Astra Zeneca pulled their application for Iressa bc it has not shown to prolong lives.

Lori, I never used iressa so can't comment.Lots of others here have and it seemed to be helping them but studies did show no significant prolonging of life.It seems to me tho that there should be other avenues of treatment somehow.My prayers and best wishes that something can be done to help.

Hi Lori,

I was on Iressa for a while and had great (see my profile) success. As for pain I'm not in any maybe someone else can shed some light on that. I was put on Iressa (no side effects) for maintenance only and told Iressa was not a cure for lung cancer but more to slow things down and can get good results, everyone is different. While I was on Iressa, we also discussed Navelbine, Treceva and Almita as my next option. Have you gotten a second opinion? Below is a link with a good website you might find helpful. Hope this helps.

Rich

PS: I did ask my doctor about Iressa out of curiosity and she said she would not have a problem if someone had to stop Iressa (due to the current sisuation) and switch over to Treceva, that the two of them will get the same results for some, based on there type of lung cancer. And all her new patients would go on Treceva if necessary.

http://www.lchelp.com/community/viewtop ... 951#121951

Lori,

If you suggest Iressa or Tarceva, I guess it would be better to suggest Tarceva since the continuance of marketing Iressa in the U.S. is being debated at the current time. We just got a 30-day refill for Iressa last night, which has been keeping my husband stable, so it is still available. However, Tarceva is supposed to be the same thing and then you wouldn't have to worry about switching.

My husband has had very few side effects with Iressa. He initially had a pretty good rash but it is not even worth mentioning at this time. He has occasional diarrhea, but it is easily controlled with immodium.

Alimta is a new chemo that is supposed to be as effective as Taxotere without the side effects. Also, it is administered in 30 min. or less via i.v.

One note about Iressa. Iressa is not a cure, but has shown a good response in approximately 10%. Sometimes there is a little shrinkage, but it seems that in the 10% that it works for, it is good for stable. My husband has been stable on it since June and Ry's husband has been stable for a much longer time, as well as others.

Best of luck this afternoon, Lori.

Love,

Peggy

Lori,

I've been on Iressa since May 04. It has now held me stable for 8 months! (Wow! I haven't counted it up in a while :wink: ) I really think there are options for your mom. You may ask about Tarceva, which Rich told you about. Your mom may be one of us who respond.

Good luck with your search.

TAnn

My Mom is also an Iressa responder - she has been on it for almost 8 months as well. Most of her infected lymph nodes are showing no evidence of cancer and the others have had considerable shrinkage and her primary tumor has been stable since March. My Dad is proactive so they have enough Iressa to last Mom through at least April if her Doc says it's OK. Her side effects have been minimal except for the diarehha so they cut her dose in half in November but it still seems to be working based on lack of previous symptoms.

We see the oncologist at the end of next week and I am very curious as to what she has to say about Iressa vs Tarceva especially since her onc has been working with the FDA to track Iressa results across the nation. I will share what I find out.

Best of luck to your Mom and I hope she seeks a second opinion for treatment options.

Much Love,

Amy

Initially when John started the Iressa he had a very slight shrinkage in his tumor. It kept the tumor from growing after that point and has held him stable for quite awhile.

Our onc explained that Iressa will hold the cancer stable but eventually the cancer will figure out a way around it. When that happens he stated he would have other drugs to go to. As far as pain, it does nothing for pain as he has been in pain lately and wasn't before this point.

Good luck to your mom.

Rochelle

I have been on Iressa since August 2004 and as far as I know, am still in remission. Will see the doctor on Jan. 19 amd will request some type of x ray other than chest x ray to make sure I am still alright.

I have had the rash, dry skin and diaharrea. Sometimes my appetite isn't as good as other times but can't say for sure the reason for that. I do feel tired easily but considering my alternatives; I keep on swallowing the pills until told otherwise. I do take 5 1/2 pills a week.

Hope things work out fine for you'll. marion

hi lori:

I don't have any info on iressa for you, but I just wanted to say hi because it sounds like my mom and your mom have been having a similar time. my mom also did the chemo/radiation combo and couldn't eat for what seemed like forever due to the burned esophagus, and as soon as she was feeling better she got a brain met (in august). I know for me, when she was diagnosed with the brain met was the scariest time. hers was able to be removed with the gamma knife, but it was touch-and-go for a while. but she hasn't had another recurrence of the brain lesions and she's nearly done with her second round of chemo (which has been much easier on her). her scans have shown good results. I hope the same holds true for your mom. sounds like she's lucky to have you on her side.

molly

Hey Lori and mom,

I am getting ready to start Iressa (if insurance approves). Did six months of chemo with very little effect. Appears your mom and my situations are similar although the doc said radiation would not benefit me since the malignancies and throughout the pleural cavity. Will be thinking about you both and praying for a wonderful response for mom. Middle aged,Female non-smokers are the group that has responsed best in the clinical trials to Iressa so keep your look out hopeful and positive. pammie