My dad has lung&brain cancer

Lea

Hi, my name is Leandra and I am 13 years old. My Dad got diagnosed with lung cancer last Febuary, about 2 months ago it spread to the brain. I am really scared what is going to happen in the future. Its hard for me to sleep at night because all I can do is think about my Dad so I am really tired when I go to school and usually fall asleep during classes. I never excepted anything like this to happend. I am scared.

Oh Lea,

I am so sorry honey. It's scary I know. I am Caitlin's mom, she talked to you before when you came on and has missed you since you left. I wish your dad all the best. There are several people here with the same diagnosis as your dad that are doing well. I hope that helps a little.

We have all been wondering how your dad is doing. Please feel welcome here and keep posting.

Rochelle

Hi Lea,

Very sorry to hear about your dad. It is very scary for sure for all involved. There is a National Cancer Support Group called The Wellness Community. They offer support for people with lung cancer, there caregivers and children. Might be worth looking into if you dad feels up to it. Would be beneficial for all involved. Hope this helps. Prayers for the both of you.

Rich

http://www.thewellnesscommunity.org/pro ... /guide.asp (The Wellness Community / National Cancer Support, Education And Support / Free)

Lea, I remember you and wondered how your family was doing.

Everything can turn out OK for your Dad, although it is perfectly natural to be scared. But you are having to grow up a bit faster than you should, and deal with adult issues sooner than you should have to.

Someone posted a link to this cartoon, it is www.momscancer.com, it is a cartoon written by an adult about his mother's lung cancer, hers had spread to her brain, it takes a while to read the whole thing, but I will tell you it was a nice happy ending even though this family went through a whole lot to get there. maybe reading that will help you some.

Please keep in touch and let us know how everything is going.

Karen C.

Lea,

I talked with you when you first posted months back, and have been wondering about you. Sorry about the brain mets, but keep your chin up. If you ever need anything or need to talk, PM me and keep us posted on your dad. Best of Luck, and try to keep yourself occupied... your dad looks like a strong guy!

Jamie

Hi Leandra. Praying for you and your family. Sounds like you got some great sites by those above for you to look at. You say it was 2 months ago that your Dad was told he had tumors in his brain. Did he have a treatment for it ? How did he respond? Donna G

Leandra, this is scary -- REALLY scary. Even to old folks like me. :P But you're not alone -- not here in this forum and not out in the rest of the internet or the real world. I bet if you ask around where your dad is being treated, they might have some counselors they can refer you to, or maybe the schools can suggest someone.

What's important is that you acknowledge that you're scared, and not be afraid or intimidated to ask questions and find out what's going on with your dad. Sounds to me like you're one tough cookie, and can help your dad get through this.

My best wishes to you.

Di

Hi Leandra~

My Mom just had treatment for brain mets and not only was it successful, but there was nothing to it. Really! See my post under "Good News - Brain Mets TX - Not as terrible as we assume". Treating brain mets is actually easier than treating the lung tumor.

Take care, sweetie.

Kerry

Hi sweetheart,

I'm so sorry you're having to go through this. It's hard enough being a kid, now you have very grownup worries to think about. I'm sure it is hard for you to function normally. it is hard for us grown ups too but I think it has to be even harder on the children of parents with cancer. I wish I could tell you not to worry, or I wish I could take it away for you. I really would if I could. My only advice to you - okay I have two pieces of advice. One is to just deal with one day at a time. Don't go any further than that one day. Sometimes, I'll start trying to plan my son's wedding, college career, WHATEVER! and he's only 9! HA HA. There isn't anything we can do about tomorrow. Enjoy today. Your dad's wish is to get better and for you to be okay. My second piece of advice is this, pray. I'm not really good about following that advice myself sometimes because right now I'm a little angry at God but when I try, and when I talk to Him, I do feel better. You are not alone. You try your hardest and hang in there and don't keep this all inside. Let it out. Talk to the school counselor or have your mom find you a therapist.

You can pm me whenever you want just make sure you check with your mom first!

Take care.

Lea-

THis is Caitlin. Where have you been? I missed you at the party. Sorry to hear about youre dad. I worry about my dad sometimes too. I hope that your dad does well in treatment. When my dad first doing tratment we were all worried about my dad but after a while he was doing fine. The same will happen to you and your dad. Tell your dad I said Good Luck. See Ya later

-Caitlin

hi Leandra,

We are all here for you.

I know this is so scary -- it's scary for me too, and I'm much older than you -- but still, we are both daughters... and it's scary to have a parent diagnosed with lung cancer, especially if it has spread.

There are lots of good news stories here though, so have faith and hope.