My dear sister Charlotte

Mary

My sister passed June 30th. Here is a copy of what I wrote for her eulogy.

Quite often we over use words like great or good when they do not accurately describe what we mean. Charlotte was the epitome of those adjectives. She was a great mother to her children: Nathan, Paul, and Kevin, a good wife to her husband, Pete, and a good friend to her sisters and brother. Charlotte was a great person who will be very much missed by those she left behind.

We will miss her smile, her sense of humor, the intelligence that shone in her beautiful brown eyes, the poise and compassion she naturally possessed, her even temperament, and the sound advice she always gave.

As her youngest sister, I would often seek her opinion about rearing my two small daughters. I had witnessed first hand Charlotte's devotion to her own family and the way in which she guided her children down the right path with a gentle but firm hand. Charlotte always listened and gave good advice. She was the voice of reason without passing judgment. A soothing influence on those whose lives she touched.

I am overwhelmed by Charlotte's strength, the beauty of her soul, and the courageous way she battled her disease. During her too brief time here on earth she touched many. I feel privileged to have been her sister and am a better person for it.

Charlotte's legacy will be her children and the legacy she leaves behind is great. My nephews have the best of her characteristics. They have a special bond the will comfort them in their sorrow. They have good judgment to do the right thing. Intelligence to make good choices. A devoted father who will protect them and a host of Aunts, Uncles, Cousins, and Friends who will cherish them.

My sister was a great person who will be truly missed!

I pray for everyone on this board and who has this horrible disease,

Mary

Mary

I am so very sorry about the loss of your dear sweet sister.

I think you are right about people over using those adjectives, but from what you wrote here and in past posts, I get the impression your sister had a radiant personality, a beautiful soul, and definitely possessed greatness.

She is with you always in spirit, and in time, it will be less painful to reflect back on those qualities and all the good times.

I am going to pray for you and your family to find peace during this difficult time.

My deepest sympathies

Carleen

Mary,

I am sorry about the loss of your sister. You are right her legecy will be her children. I lost a wonderful grandma several years ago and I find comfort in being with her children. I see her in my fathers eyes and hear her voice when I listen to my aunts speak and laugh.

I join you when you say that you pray everyday for the members of this wonderful board. I pray you will find comfort in your sisters memory and her children for years to come.

HUGS, Shelly

Mary, I am sorry for the loss of your sister, I too lost my sister 10 years ago to a heart condition. It is very hard to lose a sibling especially one that is close because its losing a sibling and friend.

Again, I am sorry for your loss.

MARY, AM SO SORRY FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY'S LOSS. I TOO LOST MY SISTER BACK IN 1995 OF A HEART ATTACK. IT WAS VERY HEART BREAKING AND TO THIS DAY I STILL MISS HER SO MUCH. WE DID NOT LIVE CLOSE BUT WE TALKED ON THE PHONE OFTEN. SHE IN TX AND ME IN KY. SHE TO LEFT US WITH HER THREE GREAT DAUGHTERS AND GREAT SON.

WILL SAY A SPECIAL PRAYER FOR HER, YOU AND YOUR FAMILY. GOD BLESS.

Mary, I am so sorry for your loss. Your sister sounds mighty special. And you obviously were mighty special to her. I lost a sister to heart failure and a brother to brain cancer, so the "baby" is now alone in that sense. I hope the memories of times past with your sister will warm your heart and help you to heal. Blessings. Don

Guest canuckwebgrrl

Mary,

You wrote a beautiful eulogy. I'm very sorry your sister passed.

My sister is the most important person in my life.

Mary,

I can, with all honesty, say that I know how you feel. My sister Sally was admitted to the hospital a day after your Charlotte & died two days before she did. I've been following your story because I've felt so connected to it - I cannot believe our sisters had such a similar death, but maybe that is the nature of this disease.

Some time ago an oncologist we consulted told me that because Sally had so much chemotherapy she would not suffer some of the many medical & physical symptoms that often accompany lung cancer. She really didn't. She worked until the last day of school this year & then two weeks later had a very sudden and dramatic downturn requiring immediate hospitalization.

I will never forget the look on her face that morning, after I had consulted with her doctor on the phone & he told me to take her to the emergency room. The look was what I now recognize as grief. As though she knew she would never come home. She didn't.

Sally never, ever, ever believed that she would die from this disease. When some medical professional told her otherwise - and they FREQUENTLY DID - she would just ignore them. I guess her faith helped the rest of us, including her daughters, to believe it too.

Sally is not only the heart and soul of our family - she is one of my best friends. I will miss her every day as long as I live.

The minister told my nieces that Sally DIDN'T want to leave them and God DIDN'T want to take her, but He has made a place for her in His house, and they will all be together again someday. That seemed to bring them some comfort.

God bless and keep you and your family.

A wonderful tribute to your beloved sister, Mary. I am always amazed at people who can deliver eulogies at the funerals of their loved ones - I would be too tearful to speak. I admire those who muster the strength and resolve to speak eloquently about the person they loved.

Thank you everyone who offered your sympathy for my sister's passing. The memorial service was on Friday and the church was packed. The service was very nice; however, I could have done without the organ music. My whole family is tone deaf so I suggested to my husband when its my turn he needs to hire a professional singer. My brother-in-law delivered the eulogy which I wrote. There is no way I could have done it. My neice read a very moving poem. Charlotte's boys are holding their own. Her youngest son, Kevin, broke down so I took him for a walk. Basically, I told him that this was going to be the hardest day of his life and every day after would get a little easier.

Mary