Steady Decline

Dad has been on oxygen almost 24/7 now. A week ago he was not that bad (not that good either), he saw the oncologist and he said he could take Iressa or taxotere. However, dad has had increase in pain, thus increase in morphine which has made him drowsy. He now says he can't eat anything, it won't come down. We may need IV for him. It's very depressing to see him fade away like this. But we have to take care of his needs. I dont think he will try any more treatments (he is too weak). The hospice nurse said he seems more pale and recommends a hospital bed. Basically, we should be expecting the worst. I who have remained so positive am slowly realizing not much more can be done. However, I will ask him all the time if he wants to eat, and if he wants to try some alternative supplements. I think the alternative supplements may have helped him for 2 weeks or a month. This disease sucks! Well, all we can do is help manage Dad's pain and depression. Good luck to all!

Dear Rayroy,

I too remember when you used to post from Japan. It has been wonderful for you and your dad and family that you could return to be with him now when he needs all the love and support around him that he can get. Be true to your convictions, but please remember to honor his wishes too. Praying for God's grace to favor all of you at this tough time.

Thanks for the support guys. At least dad has survived 3+ months since coming back. It has been great despite the disease. I would rather be here right in the middle of things than just stand away in obscurity. Tomorrow I will call the oncologist to see if there are meds for anti-depressants that could boost his appetite. I will ask dad to go get the x-rays to see if his pleural effusion is drainable. We will continue to ask and offer dad for food and possible treatments. For now, lets pray that dad can regain some strenght so we can try to fight this disease with other measures. I will encourage him that he can turn around and he should try to eat some food. Thanks a lot for the support!

ray

Rayroy,

I WILL SAY A SPECIAL PRAY FOR YOU AND YOUR FATHER TONIGHT.

IT IS SO HARD WHEN THEY DON'T WANT TO EAT BUT REMEMBER, THE BODY KNOWS WHAT IT CAN HANDLE AND WHAT IT CAN'T. I SAW MY HUSBAND GO THROUGH ALMOST TWO MONTHS WITH SO VERY LITTLE FOOD THAT I THOUGHT IT WAS GOING TO BE OVER FOR HIM AND HERE HE SNAPPED OUT OF IT. HOPE IS ALWAYS THERE. SOMETIMES WE FORGET.

Ray, I am sorry that things seem to be taking a downward turn for your dad. If you are interested, as I know you have tried introducing alternative treatments incorporated with the traditional...if you go to Onepeacefulworld.com (re: macrobiotic diet) there is an article about a woman that had lung cancer (i believe SCLC) and was receiving hospiace care, she had been bed ridden and was very very ill, her family put her on a macrobiotic diet ( I know that your father isn't eating much-but maybe there is SOMETHING you can get into him) anyway, she took a complete turn around in her health, and is a long term LC survivor.

The point is, as much as it seems impossible, sometimes miricles happen. As far as the pleural effusion, my dad is in the hospital right now having his lungs treated for this. I have gotten replies from Carol S and TimsKathy regarding their husbands and they were treated successfully. My dads apetite was gone too, I think the fluid buildup affected his overall health, not just his breathing. He was working on only 30% lung capasity! His appetite has improved a bit when he was perscribed an oral steroid to help his breathing (sorry I forget the name of it right now), but it is a side effect of steriods to increase appetite. They've taken him off of the medication, since the drain has been put in. Hopefully his appetite dosn't go away again!

Please keep us posted, I hope this was of some help. Take care, Deb

Thanks deb, the information is definitely of help. Dad went to the ER this morning feeling like crap. I think he was scared because of his disease, and his difficulty in breathing, and bone pain. He got some IV and is now out of ER. The docs took x-rays and a pulmonoligist says he will attemp to drain some of the fluid for temporary relief. He has had a trapped right lung for months. I hope his appetite can get better with this prodecure. Dad has been moaning and groaning from some of the pain. He is more coherent than in the past 2 days. I think he has taken a lot of morphine. I am going back to the hospital to see what they will do for sure. Please pray that dad will feel better!

ray