In memory of my friend John

teresag

John was husband of Jamie, and father of Elizabeth, Gwen, Cameron & Walker. I met them coaching for Special Olympics. John was one of the best-loved softball coaches there. Everyone knew him, and everyone liked him. Their whole family was a permanent feature of the summertime S.O. softball season. John coached softball, Jamie and the girls coached t-ball, and Walker played softball.

Shortly after I first met this wonderful family, at the annual S.O. summer family picnic, John sat down and started chatting with my husband and me. Back then, I wasn't even sure who he was, but he talked and talked like we'd known each other for years.

John was returning to college to become a teacher. Unfortunately, lung cancer took hold before he finished. What a loss - he would have been a wonderful teacher and role model!

God gave John the great privilege of dying at home, surrounded by his family, on August 27, 2001. So many of us miss him.