Falling Apart - Mental Case?

Wendy

OK Folks, I think I have seen this subject before on here but I am really struggling right now and need some advise.......

How do you stop thinking that every little ache and pain is cancer? Do you ever "get over" the fears?? It seems like every other day I wake up I have a new ache or pain and I struggle between calling the doc about the newest ache or kicking myself for blowing things out of proportion.

At my last regular onc appointment I asked about "when I should worry" about a new symptom and was told not to worry unless they don't go away.........which is fine except sometimes I wonder if it is me dwelling too much or something that really needs attention. Ugh, this stinks.

Any advise besides full time mental health care?????

Thanks!

Wendy :P

Wendy,

I am not the patient, my mom is, but I struggle with excessive worrying over medical issues. And b/c of that my mom got diagnosed, I am the one who insisted she needed an xray over a mild dry cough :)

I dont know how to control it.I also freak out with every ache and pain, I am diong it right now actually b/c my flank hurts (probably b/c I am exercising and not used to it, duh).........it is hard to deal with.

I asked my doctor a couple of weeks ago when I got zoloft about it and he said I may never change b/c of the situation with my mom and the work I do (my firm does some medical malpractice work).

Debi's post in Early Stage the other day helped me b/c I really took to heart what she said, that beer truck can hit anyone. I went to Disneyland after that and I started looking at all the people and wondered if they had aches, pains, ailments, were they freaking out, etc. They all looked to happy ;)

Anyway, you are not alone in your worrying. I know others here do the same thing, family members and caregivers .

Goodness, Wendy. You're SO young to be going through all this. I'm so sorry.

I don't know the answer to your question, but I'm older than you, and was quite used to plenty of aches and pains. When I first started seeing the Radiation Oncologist, he asked me if I had any pains, and I told him yes, but that one day they were *here* and the next day they were *there* and we both got a big laugh out of it!

He told me then to not worry so much, but to just pay attention to the kind of pain, frequency, etc. My trouble before all this was that I didn't always pay attention, so now I'm having to learn something different.

I'm hopeful that I'll settle into some kind of status where I can have a better handle on what it is I feel at a given time, and maybe you will too. This is rather new to us both, so it isn't like we know all the rules yet! :P

Di

Hi Wendy-

We are about the same age and were dx about the same time, of course I started at Stage 1A and ended up at Stage 3A :?

I'm with you. Everytime I get a hair out of place I freak out! I had double vision Saturday night (never had that before) and by Sunday morning had myself so upset that it took three members from here to calm me down.....I just knew I had brain mets. Of course I couldn't rational and remind myself that I am taking heart meds and Tarceva and an anti-depressant, anyone of which could be causing problems or gee mybe it was just eye strain!

Here I talk like a big you know what, I have an appt with the oncologist this Thursday and made an eye appt too! :?

I don't know how to answer your question because I do the same thing! One good thing about me is I'm having so many problems still that I see at least some doctor every two weeks or so. So I can always bounce things off of some medical professional!

Hand in there! PM me if you want too, we can talk each other through it!!

:D

I hate to break it to you, but I have this feeling that you are going to be hyper sensitive for maybe a long, long time.

I think that is probably a good thing on one hand, you know? It's called self-preservation.

The mind is a wonderful thing, and so is the imagination....but on the other hand, it can wreck havoc with everyday aches and pains.

I just wish like heck you and no one in this whole universe had to deal with it. But like the others who posted before me have said--do it they do.

My best to you.

love and fortitude

elaine

David Letterman said something once that I could relate to. I happen to love Dave.

He said, "I used to be a hypochondriac until I had a heart by-pass... the by-pass cured me of that."

And he has always made fun of his own obsession with his fear of illness.

You can interpret his statement any one of about 12 ways and every one of them make complete sense to me.

Take care of yourself there, Wendy. For sure, you are not alone.

Cindi o'h

OK Folks, I think I have seen this subject before on here but I am really struggling right now and need some advise.......

How do you stop thinking that every little ache and pain is cancer? Do you ever "get over" the fears?? It seems like every other day I wake up I have a new ache or pain and I struggle between calling the doc about the newest ache or kicking myself for blowing things out of proportion.

At my last regular onc appointment I asked about "when I should worry" about a new symptom and was told not to worry unless they don't go away.........which is fine except sometimes I wonder if it is me dwelling too much or something that really needs attention. Ugh, this stinks.

Any advise besides full time mental health care?????

Thanks!

Wendy :P

///////////////////

Worrying about and scrutinizing every symptom goes with the territory. No matter how seemingly insignificant and esp. if persistent and / or a new symptom. My wife's med onc told her to not dwell on symptoms. Yet, he depends almost exclusively on her symptoms and her description of her symptoms when appraising her condition and progress. One time this same med onc promptly ordered a CT scan of my wife's brain when she happened to mention to him that she was yawning more than normal. So, the advice is don't dwell on symptoms even though they are of paramount importance. Have fun rationalizing that.

Thanks everyone for your reply's, It is nice to know that I am not alone! I was out of town last week so I haven't caught up on all of the posts but I will do a search for Debi's in early stage that was mentioned.

Of course, I did call my oncdoc and she ordered an mri/pet scan for the neck/back problems I am having. Will have results tomorrow......hopefully it's just "GETTING OLD"!

Maybe I need to steal the AA saying - take it one day at a time.

Wendy

Wendy,

I know the feeling. I was told by a wise old Dr. years ago. Cancer is so

deadly because usely it has no systoms. Some of us were very lucky to

have systoms. But most of the aches and pains are from the tortures we

went through to get rid of the beast. I just had a MRI on my shoulder because of pain and they need to rule out tumors, but I personally think it's tendonist. We'll see. Take care and fight those demons.

Ok, it wasn't my imagination! I am told I have a problem with a disk in my neck, not serious at this point more aggrevating than anything - the best part - Its not CANCER!

My MRI and Pet scans came back really well. The scans showed that my vocal cord is paralyzed (which we knew happened when I had surgery), a few gallstones and the disk problem only. Yahoo, I am thankful for the scans. I will be able to sleep for a few weeks until the next ache/pain arrives.

Hopefully the drugs I received today will turn things around quickly.

Again, thanks for the advise!

Wendy