CAN ANYONE HELP PLEASE LOTS OF ?'S

ELLIE1

MY GRANDFATHER WENT TO THE FAMILY DOC LAST THURS THEY SAID THEY COULD SEE THE BOTTOM OF HIS LEFT LUNG BUT NOT THE TOP IT WAS ALL WHITE.HE WENT FOR A CAT ON FRI THEY TOLD US BACK AT THE DOC OFFICE ON FRI THAT IT WAS CANCER THEN WE HAD TO WAIT TILL TODAY TO SEE ANOTHER DOC HE TOLD US NOTHING JUST WE HAVE TO GO TOMORROW FOR A TEST THEY WILL PUT A NEEDLE IN HIS CHEST AND TAKE FLUID TO DO A BIOPSY.IS THERE A CHANCE THIS COULD BE TB OR SOMETHING? THIS IS WHAT THE REPORT SAYS.THERE IS AN ENLARGED CHEST WALL BASE LF UPPER LUNG MASS.IT IS SEEN AS HIGH AS THE APEX OF THELEFT HEMITHOROX AND EXTENDS INFERIORLY TO APPROX THE LEVEL OF THE LT MAINSTEM BRONCHUS BIFURCATION.THE MAX DIMENTION IS APPROX 10CM.IT IS IN DIRECT CONTINUITY W/THE LT HILUM.THERE ARE NO CONTRALATERAL LYMPH NODES PRESENT.THERE APPEARS TO BE A SECOND MASS WITHIN THELT LOWER LOBE ABUTTING THE LATERAL CHEST WALL WHICH MEASURES 3.5 CM IN MAX DIMENSION.THERE IS A LF PLEURAL EFFUSION.

Hi Ellie.

First of all, sorry you are having to go through all of this. It must be really scary. I know that it was for me.

It "sounds" like it could be lc, but you won't know until the biopsy or fluid test comes back or not. As far as I know, that is the only way to tell for sure.

I don't know if it could be TB or not. But, at the top of the page, there is a box called ask the experts. You might try to post there and see if one of the professionals can answer your question.

Good luck with all of this, and keep coming back for advice and support from others who have gone through the same thing as you are right now.

Cindi o'h

Ellie,

Don't panic yet, it could be something as simple as an infection.

When the spot was first seen on my lung my doctor put me on antibiotics just in case it was an infection. Over the next few months I had more scans of various types and the spot stayed the same size so I had the surgery but try not to panic until you have an answer.

Kathy

hi,

i should think you have seen a scan report or similar. reports by radiologists, pathologists, and others usually have words of special meaning to medical professionals. sometimes it is possible for us laymen to tease out a correct interpretation or meaning and sometimes not.

your grandfather likely needs to ask his doctor to intrepret for him. he might write down whatever questions he has before meeting with the doctor so he can remember to ask all that concerns him. if he has reports he should have the doctor intrepret these too.

it is sometimes a good idea to have someone accompany a patient to a meeting with the doctor as sometimes it is difficult to retain what is said by the doctor specifically and many times less personally involved ears can hear better or at least be able to confirm what a patient thinks he hears.

it is a good idea to get copies of all reports and to maintain a file.

i hope your grandfather does well with whatever situation he faces and that you can find a way to be helpful, supportive and calming.

yours,

ken