SOS appetite stimulant SOS

Laura Ann

Does anyone know of anything other than Magestrol or Megace that is used to help with appetite stimulation. My mother is down to 109 and is withering away. Due to other complications, my mother cannot use the two medications I mentioned. Bulking up her diet does not help at this point, as she has no desire to eat.

Please help.

Laura

I am going thru a similar thing with my gram so I know how very hard this is to watch. I don't want to sound like a jerk but is there a "medical marijuana" I have heard marijuana really boosts the appetite. Sorry to not be more help but wanted you to know you're not alone. Hang in there.

Laura Ann,

I don't have any suggestions for how to stimulate your mom's appetite, but I just wanted you to know that I am sorry she isn't doing well.

You haven't updated your profile for a while, and I don't recall seeing an update on your mom. I probably just missed it. Is she getting chemo now? radiation? or any kind of treatment that could be causing her loss of appetite?

Prayers coming your way!

Love,

Peggy

Hi, Laura Ann, I am so sorry you are having this problem. Jim wasn't eating, just didn't want to, and the Megace helped a little. I know your Mom can't use that. Even before, I would push Boost Plus on him and he reluctantly would drink it, it is better than nothing. He has just lately been put on steroids and he is scrounging around in the fridge for snacks. Are steroids in your future? Margaret

Hey Snowflake,

Sorry, I'm pretty bad about following up on my posts. To answer your question, yes my mother is now on 5mg.(started out with 2.5mg.) of the Marinol. After researching it on the net, talking to a Pharmacist and finally her Onc. we decided to give it a try. So far she is into day three and I can't really see too much of a difference in her appetite. I am still hoping it will help. Thank you so much for the info.

Laura