What a week!

kimblanchard

Hi friends,

Thought I would let you know what has been happening with my dear husband Bill. He has been having severe hip pain that was confirmed as a new bone met by a PET scan. He also has pain in his calf and so a bone scan is set up for next week.

The radiation onc suggested radiation immediately to the pelvis since the met is large. She feels the pelvis is the foundation of support and that it is important to deal with it right away. So we called IU Med Center where Bill is enrolled in a clinical trial that just started last week. (first treatment was June 26) Seems as though the drug company sponsoring the trial forbids radiation to the pelvis since part of the study is to determine the effects of the chemo on the bladder. Well we went round and round with the doctors and the company about this. Finally late yesterday afternoon the radiation onc was able to map out the radiation at an angle to just miss the bladder. So we begin 12 treatments on Monday. If she can do this Bill can stay in the clinical trial. Whew..................we don't need anymore bad news. Bill is sleeping almost all of the time now - with the chemo and pain meds it is expected I guess.

Thanks for letting me share this.

Blessings to you all and happy holiday today,

PJ

Thanks for the update on Bill, Peg. Lucie had her left pelvis irradiated as soon as the tumor was discovered there, and it has helped so far. She also had had the right sacrum, right fibia and upper spine irradiated for pain relief and prevention of further bone damage. I guess I had not realized Iressa had not helped him, and that he has moved on to other things. I pray the Taxotere will work. It worked on Lucie and a good friend of ours who also had NSCLC just went on Taxotere after trying other things, and it seems to be working for her. Have a great 4th -- aw heck, have a fifth, too! Ha! Ha! Don

Dear Peg,

I was also just told that I could not have radiation to my surgical sites if I wanted to get on the lists for the clinical trials they suggested for me. The rules for these clinical trials seem absurd to me, but then often these trials are cutting edge technology and are life saving-so I feel I must put up with the guidelines. I am glad to see that Bill's radiation oncologist is a creative problem solver and that all of this will work out for him.

I think of you often.

Ada

Hi Peg,

What a week is right! I too am glad Bills onc. figured out a way to help him. She sounds like a good doctor. I agree with Ada it seems like some of the clinical trials rules are somewhat absurd. At least it all worked out though.

Peg,

One of the things I like most about Fox Chase Cancer Center is they seem willing and almost able to try anything to help the patient. They are kind, thoughtful, creative and 'better safe than sorry' doctors and staff.

It sounds as if you have a similar situation. You read so often on this site of doctors unable or unwilling to keep trying. Doctors with pessimistic attitudes or doctors that have totally forgotten that the patient is a human being.

With your doctors it seems that you guys are very lucky. I will pray that this clinical trial and the weird angle radiation will do the trick for Bill.

Peg,

Wheewww! Dodged that bullet.... I am glad that Bill can continue the clinical trial!!! This must have been a stomach wrenching time, but now he can do both, so relax, quit worrying for 1 day and do something totally mindless for the holiday... Go see a movie, concert,play or etc...

Rick

Hi Peg,

So glad to hear that Bill can stay in the clinical trial and also get the radiation treatments. He has been though so much. I don't know where he is getting the strength for all of this. I guess the sleeping is giving his body the needed energy to do all of this. My prayers are with both of you and your daughter. God Bless....