Brain Met - Temodar

annie1129

I've posted this in "Ask the Expert" forum before; however, no response has yet received but I do urgently need advices/experience shared by other people.

My father is having WBR (2 times per day for 5 consecutive days; total 5 weeks) + temodar (140mg per day)

Treatment will be completed next week. However, we got 2 different opinions from 2 oncs for coming treatment.

One is - take the temodar for 5 consecutive days (300mg per day) then rest for 23 days, which represent one cycle. Total 5 cycles.

Another is - no need to take temodar again as the onc thinks it only helps getting a better result when having the radiation. but it's useless if taking it alone for brain mets.

If anyone hv similar experience or advices, please share.

Thanks very much.

Hi Annie

I have just been doing some research on this topic as Mum is commencing WBR tomorrow, and I wanted her to ask the oncologist about Temodar. In my limited reading thus far, it seems that the jury is still out on the benefits of ongoing use of Temodar. I think there has been some suggestion that it will help to prevent recurrence. I think most studies found that using it as a single agent, without WBR, had no therapeutic benefit, but as I said, some are recommending continuation to inhibit recurrence following WBR. Unfortunately, I think it might be one of those times where you need to do your own research, discuss your findings with the Oncologist, and then make a decision as to what you want to do.

All the best.

By the way, did you get my PM concerning the WBR schedule that your father is having. I am curious about it, as my Mum is having WBR once a day for 10 days, and that is all.

Cheers,

Karen

I think it is usually used with WBR, but Gina's? husband received it by itself at Fox Chase. The study below says there was a 24% response rate in patients with NSCLC.

Temodar is fairly effective in glioma's (brain cancer) and brain metastasis from melanoma

http://www.asco.org/ac/1,1003,_12-00264 ... 987,00.asp

http://theoncologist.alphamedpress.org/ ... oncologist