Mom recently diagnosed...very scary

Valery

My beautiful mom who is 59 years old was diagnosed with lung cancer in December 2004. The cancer has spread to her brain. We (my dad and the rest of the family) are very new to all the emotions, the reality of it. I cannot even imagine how it feels to be in moms shoes. She is a strong lady and seems to be taking it like a trooper. She is currently going through 25 days of radiation therapy on her brain. She had 3 days of chemo, which she has to have every 28 days for her lung. She has lost a total of 76 lbs. and continues to lose, despite her efforts. The Drs. will probably put her on meds for this as well. The radiation treatments are surely taking their toll on her. I am certain it will get better though. I try to make sure her outlook is very optimistic as well. She has always been my rock now its my turn to be hers. Thank you for being here. I heard about this website from a family member. She was right it is great!!!

Valery

Valery,Welcome to our support family,but sorry your mom was diagnosed w/lc.You will find lots of knowing and caring people here.

Radiation and chemo are difficult to do for most folks.However you will

find a lot of us here that it has made a difference for.It is doable and the

end result is often times very rewarding.

Again welcome and please keep us informed.

Welcome Valery,

You have joined a wonderful group. There are a lot of folks here that have cases similar to your mom's and I'm sure they will be along to give their support. We all help one another deal with the emotions. It can be an emotional rollercoaster, but it seems there is always someone up top to help us when we are down. My prayers to your mom and your family.

sue

welcome,

your right this is not a fun place to be, but these are the best people. I lost my mom and dad to LC 9 months apart. Mom last august and dad this june. Mom was 61 and dad was 58. My mom had NSCLC and dad had SCLC. so I got both ends of the spectrum of somewhat knowledge.

mom had brain mets too. hers were zapped with the whole brain radiation (WBR) and never reoccured before her death.

what type of LC does your mom have. Never give up hope because there are long. LONG term survivors here on this board. some 2 years, some 5 years, some 10 years and some longer.

One piece of advice, GET INFORMED and get active in your moms care and treatment. Always send someone with her so there is another person to question or listen to the ONC. and read about new treatments and suggest them if your onc. doesn't. Your now your moms medical advocate and you need to get her the BEST possible care. If you ever think your moms ONC> isn't doing his best, always look around for one who is willing to fight with and for her.

Hi, Valery, welcome. It sounds like you have all the tools, good medical care, good family, great attitude, there are a lot of good times ahead for you and your family. This site and the wonderful people here will help with the questions and the rough spots and you will likely help us, too.

Losing weight - I am sure the doctors will have good ideas but you could get her some Boost to help with nutrician and when Jim was going through intensive treatments, he retained his taste for ice cream and donuts. The doctors told him "get fat" so we figured that meant the ice cream and donuts were okay.

Best wishes, big kiss for Mom. Margaret

Hi Valery and WELCOME!

I see you live in Arizona. Our son just moved to Chandler, Arizona a couple of months ago. So far, so good.

I'm glad you found us because I know you will receive much encouragement here. My husband has fought brain mets, too, but currently is doing very well. He had WBR in August 2003 for 8 mets, and stereotactic radiosurgery for 6 remaining mets in November 2003. He currently still has 4, but they aren't giving him any problems at all and it's been way over a year.

I just wanted to say welcome. If you would like to add a profile below your posts (see examples of others here), send me a PM (click on PM below my post) and I'll be happy to help you with some tips for the site.

Love,

Peggy

Welcome Valery,

I myself didn't have all the experiences with lung cancer that most others in this group did so I can't contribute much hands on advice.

I do know though that it is the support of family and friends and the members of this support group that will help you , your Mom, and the rest of your family through this.

My best to you and your family.

Kate