Stupid Thoughts--How do I stop them?

Please I know I shouldn't do this, but Help guys... How do I get stupid thoughts like, "What if this is the last time I see Mom?" out of my head...

She slept all day today and I didn't get to see her for more than about five minutes. Just... feel crappy about the last half of this little trip.

Tomorrow is going to be a very hard day.... *sigh*

How do I stop dumb thoughts like that?

I've decided that all thoughts are just thoughts and do not have to be considered dumb. They are o.k. It's all right to have them, just file them away in a special place, you can always come back to them later if you choose.

I remember dancing with my husband (we were chaperoning a sophmore school dance in November) and thinking to myself, "I wonder if this is going to be our last dance together". I felt bad thinking that way, but turns out it was our last dance together. Actually, I think it made me appreciate that last dance even more. Even the five minutes you spent with your mother has to be good. Mothers understand!

Cyndy

Hi there! I know EXACTLY what you're talking about it. It happened to me yesterday. But He gave me peace today. I have a scripture for you:

2 Corinthians 10:5 Casting down imaginations, and every high thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ

You can do this, for your peace of mind and your baby, you can do this, with the Lord's help. I'm praying for you and your mom. God is good!

Love,

CC

Dear Tree,

I think we all have those kind of thoughts. At least once a day they try very hard to take over my spirit. I just won't let them.

As soon as the thoughts come in, fear increases and my eyes begin to sting. I just IMMEDIATELY stop whatever I'm doing and make myself think about something else. Sometimes I have to get up and walk. Sometimes I have to turn the radio on to distract myself. Sometimes I eat. If I'm driving, I literally say "Stop!" and will shake my head a little bit. I don't care what I have to do, but I just do something to stop the thoughts.

This past week, there have been some emotional posts here that have really brought on those thoughts in my mind. In each case, I logged off the site and did not respond until I could get control of my emotions.

When our son was high school age, he was, well, let's just say he was high maintenance. I would lay in bed at night when he was out and let my imagination take over and imagine terrible things happening to him. I would work myself into crying. It was during that period of time that I realized how my mind would just take over my thoughts. Since then, I have practiced not letting my imagination get control.

It was also at that time that I truly turned him over to God and when those thoughts tried to come in, I would say to myself over and over and over: God loves me. God loves me. God loves me. I would do the same thing and substitute our son's name. I would say it until I fell asleep. Sometimes, even while I would say that, the thoughts would come back, but I would just start over again.

These days, I say those words many times throughout the day. It isn't helpful to my husband for me to think the other thoughts. Whether he hears them or not, he can sense them.

Give it a try! It works for me.

Love,

Peggy

P.S. No, all the problems didn't go away with our son, but I quit crying myself to sleep every night knowing that a very GOOD GOD was in control.

I think we all have these thoughts cross our mind when we are dealing with cancer and our loved ones. I can't tell you how many nights I stayed awake for hours just watching Dennis sleep. i kept thinking that I wanted to remember every single thing about his face. You know, every time we are with friends and loved ones could be the last, regardless if they have cancer or not. I look at life differently now and value friends and loved ones more than ever! Just enjoy the times you have with your Mom and think happy and positive thoughts!!!